Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm

It seems to be a trend this year at Gucci and Prada:
link

Quote:
Androgyny is in; traditional gender lines are out. Long-haired, fine-featured models—most male, some female—wore a collection that included foppish bow blouses, scarlet lace, and crop-sleeved coats.

I like this trend. I dress like a pre-teen boy. Comfort is my guide. But Ive noticed a lot of young men are putting quite a bit of effort into their appearance.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:10 pm

For ages I wondered why it's okay for girls to wear pants but not okay for boys to wear dresses. Now I know the real reason why. Society still thinks "female" things are inferior to "male" things. We're practically still in the Dark Ages.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
For ages I wondered why it's okay for girls to wear pants but not okay for boys to wear dresses. Now I know the real reason why. Society still thinks "female" things are inferior to "male" things. We're practically still in the Dark Ages.

Why only the Scots and the Arabs embrace this is beyond me. It does seem to be the association with the female that keeps men from wearing them. Which is telling. Sometimes I don't think men like women very much.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:32 pm

androbot01 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Why only the Scots and the Arabs embrace this is beyond me. It does seem to be the association with the female that keeps men from wearing them. Which is telling. Sometimes I don't think men like women very much.

It's been said that garments like kilts are better for men's reproductive health, and that wearing tight pants leads to things like low sperm count. Maybe the ancient Greeks were onto something when they viewed pants as uncivilized garments...

Ironically, I'm wearing a rather tight pair of jeans at the moment, and I could never get used to the feeling of wearing boxers instead of briefs. I'm just used to having support.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

It's been said that garments like kilts are better for men's reproductive health, and that wearing tight pants leads to things like low sperm count. Maybe the ancient Greeks were onto something when they viewed pants as uncivilized garments...

Ironically, I'm wearing a rather tight pair of jeans at the moment, and I could never get used to the feeling of wearing boxers instead of briefs. I'm just used to having support.

Men are wearing such tight pants these days I cant imagine how they get into them. 8O

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:54 pm

I suppose our basic high school unofficial "uniform" from the 70's was gender neutral clothing. Everybody wore Levi's jeans, (501's when they became popular) band tshirts or band baseball jerseys, and Nike tennis shoes. Oddly enough, I still see this basic trend in high school kids. I have seen emo boys wearing girl skinny jeans. I don't think boys look right in skinny jeans at all.

I also remember in the 90's when it was a trend over in Southside in Birmingham for boys to wear skirts. I saw a few do it and it looks weird beyond belief. They wore big, colorful gypsy style skirts that were in style then. Kilts look good and the long Arab style robes look good, but women's skirts look ridiculous on men unless they are going all out and dressing as women. Also, priests wear cassocks and monks wear long robes.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 7:23 pm

I think men look hot in skirts, like the little skirts that they wore in the movie Troy.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 7:25 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I have seen emo boys wearing girl skinny jeans. I don't think boys look right in skinny jeans at all.

They look so uncomfortable.
Quote:
.... Kilts look good and the long Arab style robes look good, but women's skirts look ridiculous on men unless they are going all out and dressing as women. Also, priests wear cassocks and monks wear long robes.

That's right, they do. I know it's probably odd, but I would love to wear those long dresses and head scarves that Muslim women wear. They look comfortable and like they would provide a measure of anonymity.

I agree about men in minis. I think that's hot.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 8:03 pm

androbot01 wrote:
That's right, they do. I know it's probably odd, but I would love to wear those long dresses and head scarves that Muslim women wear. They look comfortable and like they would provide a measure of anonymity.

I agree about men in minis. I think that's hot.

In the late 90's I did an article about Muslim women in America. There had recently been an influx of them in Birmingham and I interviewed several women about their lives, the rules and restrictions of Islam and their customs, and I borrowed the clothing from them and wore it for a week. I prayed five times a day and did the ablutions beforehand as well. I was Catholic so I said my own prayers but I said them at the times the Muslims were supposed to and I got down on my knees to do so. I wore the clothing out whenever I left the house and covered whenever any man who wasn't my husband or kids came to the house.

One of the things I wore was a veil. It covered my face entirely except for my eyes. Nobody could see my face at all, except for my eyes and I noticed that people didn't look at me really. Nobody made eye contact with me, and eye contact isn't a problem for me or anything. People didn't know I was American and white they assumed I was foreign and Arab or Persian, etc, so I didn't feel funny wearing it like I probably would if I wore a sari out, and I've always wanted to wear a sari. I sort of enjoyed wearing the Muslim clothing, but I don't think I would like it if I had to wear it.

As for the men in the short skirts in Troy, are you talking about those Roman soldier uniforms? Don't forget about togas too. And also in Indonesia, men wear a sarong.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 8:29 pm

old link

I like this.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 2:17 am

I couldn't resist. XD

Credit goes to: http://hero--hero.tumblr.com/ Her inactive DA is here: http://hero-of-awesome.deviantart.com/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 2:35 am

I'd say I mostly dress pretty gender neutral...I rarely ever wear make up either, and if I do its not much at all.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:00 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

How about kilts?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:04 am

androbot01 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Men are wearing such tight pants these days I cant imagine how they get into them. 8O

A man was sitting on a park bench looking at people as they passed when one woman walked up wearing the tights pants he had ever seen. He just had to ask, "How does someone get into those pants?" She replied, "Well, you can start by buying me a martini."

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:07 am

By the way, it is interesting how leotards are thought of as women's wear when they were actually created for men.

For what it's worth, I have a pair of men's leotards from when I took ballet classes. Note that in ballet, women wear their leotards over the tights while men wear tights over the leotards.

For example:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 11:40 am

androbot01 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

It WAS every bit as unthinkable for women to wear pants as it was for men to wear dresses- in the Victorian Age. Maybe 1920 marks the start of women wearing pants. A guy in kilts cannot ride a boys' bike because of the horizontal bar in the bike frame. I think that its just practicality that caused one gender to adopt one aspect of the other's attire (women to start wearing pants).