Page 77 of 105 [ 1680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 105  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 1:52 am

daniel1948 wrote:
Most atheists disbelieve in God because the evidence leads them that way, and most are always open to new evidence. A good atheist is at heart a scientist, and scientists are always testing their ideas and allowing those ideas to evolve with the evidence.

It's only religious people who have closed minds and refuse to alter their beliefs, since those beliefs are not based on evidence, but on inherited dogma.

Quite true, and yet another concept that we will never get into their thick heads. My only criticism is the concept of a "good" atheist

daniel1948 wrote:

BTW, am I the only one who finds aghogday's posts to be utterly unreadable due to the bizarre formatting and random blocks of capitals? It's like he cut letters out of a magazine and threw them haphazardly on the page.

No you are not alone. Many of us have tried to reason with him but to no avail. Occasionally he will write in what many of us see as a legible format, but he see's this as him doing us a favour. What I don't think he gets is that many of us just scroll past his posts. Added to this if you do bother reading them you will invariably read the same BS self aggrandising nonsense regarding his near super human abilities. Other than this he does seem to be a decent person with admirable ethics.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 2:39 am

Neoliberalism needs counterpoints sometimes so that entrepreneurs don't feel that they have free reign to kidnap slaves for the auction block. Religion can be a powerful counterpoint.

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2015, 2:49 am

Canadian1911 wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The existence of God/gods/spirits/goblins/etc. cannot be proven in an objective, "logical" sense.

In order for this to happen, this Supreme Being would have to reveal Him/Her/Itself to all 7 billion people in the world at the same time.

It's an article of "Faith"--this belief in God.

It cannot be proven empirically--either side of the argument.

It's fun to argue, though, right? :lol:

The existence of God can be proven.

As for his nature, then this is something only He can tell us about.

And communication does not have to be direct, it can indirect through messengers and prophets.

How in the hell can it be proven?

Very easy.

An infinite chain of causes is impossible, therefore God must exist.

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2015, 3:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The existence of God/gods/spirits/goblins/etc. cannot be proven in an objective, "logical" sense.

In order for this to happen, this Supreme Being would have to reveal Him/Her/Itself to all 7 billion people in the world at the same time.

And communication does not have to be direct, it can indirect through messengers and prophets.

He didn't say "communication had to be direct". He said "proof" had to be direct.

For everyone to be convinced God would have to materialize in front of everyone as a giant the size of Godzilla on the Oprah Show- and would have to give out free new cars to every TV viewer of him.

No middle man. No having to rely on hearsay about what some ancient prophet said God said to him. And no having to pick and choose from rival prophets (you may hold with Moses, and Jesus, but not with Mohammed, nor with Joseph Smith). Just god right there doing his God thing right in front of you.

Everyone knows that God exists, some of us choose to conceal this truth, it is supposed to make them feel big or something.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 3:10 am

There is no Easter Bunny there is no Santa Clause, there is no Tooth Fairy or Boogie Man, or Sand Man, Jack Frost is not real either and neither is God it is all mythology. Last of all there is no such thing as magic! Faith is a gamble and according to religion gambling is a sin and faith holds the same chance value as gambling! Oooh another contradiction right there faith equates gambling and gambling is a sin in the bible oh my another flaw right there but yet the invisible man who has no proof or evidence and is nothing more than a metaphore both encourages faith but yet forbids it! Remember folks faith is a gamble like playing Russian Roulet with a pistol to your head with half the rounds in the revolver loaded and the other half not! You pray you live on that game based on faith but that is well a gamble with your life right there I wouldn't put faith right there I simply wouldn't do it because I am smarter and wiser and wish to live another day!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 4:45 am

Lintar wrote:
The Greek and Roman gods were not gods at all. That's why we use lower-case 'g'. 'God' is not Graeco-Roman (or Babylonian, Aztec...). The old classical gods are irrelevant, because we all know they do not really exist. We've moved on since then.

(emphasis mine)

So, we do know this of the classical gods. How exactly did we find that out? Because i am quite sure that if we apply that same process to the judeo-christian god, we will come to the same conclusion.

and indeed, i have stopped trying to read ahogday's posts.
if he doesn't make an effort to make his posts readable, i don't make an effort to read them

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 4:53 am

izzeme wrote:
Lintar wrote:
The Greek and Roman gods were not gods at all. That's why we use lower-case 'g'. 'God' is not Graeco-Roman (or Babylonian, Aztec...). The old classical gods are irrelevant, because we all know they do not really exist. We've moved on since then.

(emphasis mine)

So, we do know this of the classical gods. How exactly did we find that out? Because i am quite sure that if we apply that same process to the judeo-christian god, we will come to the same conclusion.

and indeed, i have stopped trying to read ahogday's posts.
if he doesn't make an effort to make his posts readable, i don't make an effort to read them

It is very easy to see why other people's gods are not real, but somehow it is very hard for people to see their own god is made up as well. I'm fairly sure that to the believers at the time the Greek gods were real to them.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 5:38 am

sophisticated wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Very easy.

There's yer proof, folks. Well done! QFT.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 5:59 am

AngelRho wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Very easy.

There's yer proof, folks. Well done! QFT.

There are still three problems:
1- I didn't see any proof that an infinite chain of causes is impossible.
2- I didn't see any proof that uncaused causes are impossible.
3- I don't follow the "therefore --> God".

And of course, it does not mean that the "God" is YOUR God, it could just as well be someone else's God(/s) :twisted:

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 6:03 am

Lintar wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Oh no, a moral relativist. Nope, morality really is objectively real and absolute.

BS, look throughout history and you will see most definitely that morals are subject to the contemporary zeitgeist. There is absolutely no evidence that morals are anything but subjective, there is evidence that altruism is an Evolutionary Sustainable Strategy, but other than this there is zero evidence for any objective morals.

So can I assume your answer to the question I posed is, 'it depends'?

It depends on the society and period you live in, In times past it was perfectly ok to go out and kill and pillage, heck the frigging pope ordered the crusades. In the bible, god tells the Israelite's to annihilate whole cultures. The illegal invasion of Iraq and consequent slaying of tens maybe hundreds of thousands of Iraqis by coalition forces was hardly ever described as murder. So no I do not see killing or murder is objectively immoral. Unsurprisingly the term "murder" often refers to the slaying of someone from your own country or culture, and it is seen as wrong for quite obvious reasons to do with community cohesion. Yet the murder of people in other lands for the benefit of the community doing the murdering has historically been seen as ok, eg European imperialism.

In Deuteronomy the earliest writing of the ten commandments is fairly clear that thou shalt not kill a fellow Israelite. it translates

"Thou shalt not kill, neither shalt thou commit adultery, neither shalt thou steal, neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour. Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife, and you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbor's.

Once it was seen as acceptable to own slaves (it still is in many parts of the world), forcing your spouse to have sexual intercourse was not seen as rape until the latter part of the 20th century(and again it is still perfectly acceptable in some parts), old men having sex with young teenagers was not only condoned it was applauded as a sign of virility. The list of what we now see as immoral that was once seen as perfectly acceptable is vast.

Morals are dynamic, they change constantly and the ones that hang around the longest are there due to proven usefulness for society.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 6:27 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
daniel1948 wrote:
Most atheists disbelieve in God because the evidence leads them that way, and most are always open to new evidence. A good atheist is at heart a scientist, and scientists are always testing their ideas and allowing those ideas to evolve with the evidence.

It's only religious people who have closed minds and refuse to alter their beliefs, since those beliefs are not based on evidence, but on inherited dogma.

Quite true, and yet another concept that we will never get into their thick heads. My only criticism is the concept of a "good" atheist

It's not entirely true. There scientists who study the evidence and conclude "God", and there are most likely dogmatic atheists too. Assuming anyone who posts here falls into either category would be a leap of faith, however - or disingenuous foolishness.

Quote:
daniel1948 wrote:

BTW, am I the only one who finds aghogday's posts to be utterly unreadable due to the bizarre formatting and random blocks of capitals? It's like he cut letters out of a magazine and threw them haphazardly on the page.

No you are not alone. Many of us have tried to reason with him but to no avail. Occasionally he will write in what many of us see as a legible format, but he see's this as him doing us a favour. What I don't think he gets is that many of us just scroll past his posts. Added to this if you do bother reading them you will invariably read the same BS self aggrandising nonsense regarding his near super human abilities. Other than this he does seem to be a decent person with admirable ethics.

I disagree with the last, but I skip them for much the same reasons posted. Aghogday is here to preach, not debate. If he was interested in discourse he'd have got the message long ago.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 6:35 am

trollcatman wrote:

And of course, it does not mean that the "God" is YOUR God, it could just as well be someone else's God(/s) :twisted:

You've reached the moment in the discussion when the smart thing is to step away and watch the echo chamber from afar. It nearly always comes down to the god of the gaps, at which point you've hit a wall of obstinate, wilful ignorance that can only be penetrated from the other side.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 8:30 am

But...it's fun to Argue! Why do you think we have 82 pages here?

I don't mind a good discussion--but belief in God/gods/goblins/spirits/whatever is a personal matter.

These speculations lead us on the path towards excellent scholarship--and the vast gamut of human response--but no "answer," really, to the Original Question.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 9:37 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Lintar wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Oh no, a moral relativist. Nope, morality really is objectively real and absolute.

BS, look throughout history and you will see most definitely that morals are subject to the contemporary zeitgeist. There is absolutely no evidence that morals are anything but subjective, there is evidence that altruism is an Evolutionary Sustainable Strategy, but other than this there is zero evidence for any objective morals.

So can I assume your answer to the question I posed is, 'it depends'?

It depends on the society and period you live in, In times past it was perfectly ok to go out and kill and pillage, heck the frigging pope ordered the crusades. In the bible, god tells the Israelite's to annihilate whole cultures. The illegal invasion of Iraq and consequent slaying of tens maybe hundreds of thousands of Iraqis by coalition forces was hardly ever described as murder. So no I do not see killing or murder is objectively immoral. Unsurprisingly the term "murder" often refers to the slaying of someone from your own country or culture, and it is seen as wrong for quite obvious reasons to do with community cohesion. Yet the murder of people in other lands for the benefit of the community doing the murdering has historically been seen as ok, eg European imperialism.

In Deuteronomy the earliest writing of the ten commandments is fairly clear that thou shalt not kill a fellow Israelite. it translates

"Thou shalt not kill, neither shalt thou commit adultery, neither shalt thou steal, neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour. Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife, and you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbor's.

Once it was seen as acceptable to own slaves (it still is in many parts of the world), forcing your spouse to have sexual intercourse was not seen as rape until the latter part of the 20th century(and again it is still perfectly acceptable in some parts), old men having sex with young teenagers was not only condoned it was applauded as a sign of virility. The list of what we now see as immoral that was once seen as perfectly acceptable is vast.

Morals are dynamic, they change constantly and the ones that hang around the longest are there due to proven usefulness for society.

Scripture quoted out of context.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 9:43 am

trollcatman wrote:

The question was how one can prove there is a God. A logical proof was given. This response is an example of goalpost-moving. You got your proof, so now you're going to demand proof for something tangential?

This is interesting, well…almost…because it demonstrates how quick one can be to unreasonably hand-wave something that is reasonable.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 10:01 am

AngelRho wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

The question was how one can prove there is a God. A logical proof was given. This response is an example of goalpost-moving. You got your proof, so now you're going to demand proof for something tangential?

This is interesting, well…almost…because it demonstrates how quick one can be to unreasonably hand-wave something that is reasonable.

I responded to this: "An infinite chain of causes is impossible, therefore God must exist."
No evidence is given for the first half of the sentence, so I'll just dismiss it for now.
The second half does not follow from the first half, so we are left with pretty much nothing.