A third of all Millennials express themselves as irreligious

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

aghogday wrote:

DUDE, please!.. PUT on your reading glasses and Listen TO MY CLARIFICATION once again.

Classical pantheists are REAL THEISTS AND IT IS A REAL RELIGION AND they equate the Universe with GOD..

Do ya get it yet!..

I don't know how many more ways I can say THIS COMMON SENSE TRUTH.

GOD IS all NATURAL ALL THE TIME!

And that's the truth!

Disagreeing with your framing isn't the same as failure to understand your framing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
aghogday wrote:

DUDE, please!.. PUT on your reading glasses and Listen TO MY CLARIFICATION once again.

Classical pantheists are REAL THEISTS AND IT IS A REAL RELIGION AND they equate the Universe with GOD..

Do ya get it yet!..

And that's the truth!

Disagreeing with your framing isn't the same as failure to understand your framing.

REALLY.

In what WAY is Mother Nature not REAL?

Explain please...

I'M ALL EARS.

I clearly stated that GOD is the same dam thing as Mother Nature.

And you turned around and clearly stated THAT GOD is NOT anymore real than the Abrahamic GOD.

What part of THAT did YOU NOT you get.

Seriously.

I'm ALL EARS.

IF ya wanna explain, CLARIFY, AND VALIDATE your idea to ME. :)

IF NOT.. THE RECORD STANDS AS is. :)

AND FOR REFERENCE:

AGHOGDAY SAYS:

No.. As I stated GOD IS MOTHER NATURE TRUE and that is part of why I use CAPS in reciprocal social communication...

Bold is antiquated and too slow on this software format for folks who type 130 words per minute to the average tune of 10K a day...

A common FALLACY on this site is that the OLD antiquated Abrahamic TRIBAL God is the only defined GOD that EXISTS...

I am a NEW AGER B A B y AND the GOD that IS ALL THAT IS aka Mother Nature True exists EVERWHERe...

SHE IS the TRUE Master and there IS NO Escaping her alive and WHO knows.. perhaps not in death...

YOU SAY:

To those of us who reject the notion of gods, your concept of god is no more or less real than the Abrahamic one.

We'll still be here, whether or not we believe in the supernatural.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2015, 2:23 pm

Just noticed some lexical ambiguities in my previous post that I can't change due to the new edit policy. Qi/ki/chi, prana, magic, the Force, the Weave, PSI, and whatever-other-mystical-malarky-have-you, are NOT in the domain of quantum mechanics; and the reference to "QM" later in the post was not to quantum mysticism, but to mechanics.

Anyways.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am pretty sure that movie is about quantum physics....

No, it uses the appearances of such, but most of the people in that movie are either part of JZ Knight's spiritualist cult, are speaking outside of their scientific fields of expertise (if they have any legitimate scientific backgrounds at all), and the single guy who actually knew what he was talking about was misled and cherry-picked to support the movie's premises. He even spoke out against the film-makers for doing this.

Actual quantum mechanics supports very little in the way of the movie's premises (i.e., psychic powers, manifestations, astral travel, the so-called "law of attraction", and so on and so forth).

This is a fairly comprehensive dissection of that piece of pseudointellectual trash, and its fallacies:

Quote:
Anyways what is a woo-monger? I am genuinely curious about this......either way there is plenty science doesn't 'explain' either, so can't blame people for looking outside the confines of traditional science/mathmatics in an attempt to understand the world/universe really is my opinion and some of what I've heard is intriguing. But certainly open to quantum physics theories being disproven...I do take it with a grain of salt but not so sure it should be dismissed entirely as BS in all cases but who knows.

A woo-monger (my terminology, not saying I'm the first person to use it) is someone who exploits common logical fallacies latent in everyday public thinking for the promotion of pseudoscience, religion, or "magical thinking" in general. Other synonyms might be "quack", "charlatan", "snake oil salesman", and "confidence trickster", except very often they've fallen victim to their own lies and ignorance and believe in the very product they're selling.

aghogday wrote:
*psychobabble about "Mother Nature"*

The natural world doesn't give a s**t about us, and anthropomorphizing it as some self-aware "motherly" figure doesn't support the existence of gods. Case in point: areas of the globe that are uncomfortable if not outright hostile to humans with less human development and infringement on the local environment (Antarctica, the Amazon, many parts of Australia).

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:32 pm

I pretty much take it for granted that I live in a secular society (I live in the UK). What I do wonder though is how quickly other parts of the world will change, and how much they will change, or whehter they will stay the same.

Ok, so I'm looking at this in a cold intellectual way, but I do find shifting attitudes intriguing and I am keen to see how things unfold.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

For some definition of religion, at least.

Personally I don't see any important difference between, for example, an atheist psychiatrist who espouses the chemical imbalance theory of mental illness (as such a person accepts on faith a set of received knowledge bearing at best incidental resemblance to truth, promulgated by those who stand to materially benefit from said knowledge being acted upon, and does so act upon it, authoritatively and at times coercively) and your typical priest. But the former would be counted as irreligious.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm

drh1138 wrote:
The natural world doesn't give a s**t about us, and anthropomorphizing it as some self-aware "motherly" figure doesn't support the existence of gods. Case in point: areas of the globe that are uncomfortable if not outright hostile to humans with less human development and infringement on the local environment (Antarctica, the Amazon, many parts of Australia).

Ever hear of a METAPHOR.

DUDE PLEASE.. The universe gave birth to you.

DON'T YA GET IT..

PLEASE..;)

IT JUST a frigging metaphor.. the Universe AIN'T GOT A REAL VAGI'... YA KNOW..
I HOPE @LEAST NOW..;)

AND DUDE.. science will never fully explain human creativity or emotion.. as each instance of it.. CAN BE NON-REPEATABLE FOR EXPERIMENT.. if one truly uses the TRUE HUMAN POTENTIAL OF HUMAN emotion and creativity IN FULL HUMAN POTENTIAL.

SCIENCE did not teach me how to increase my leg strength from 500LBS last SPRING to 900LBS now per LEG pressing the equivalent of three college steroid doped lineman.. through space and distance.. now at age 54 that I can prove through empirical evidence of video and high definition photography.

The creativity of human physical intelligence that science even now shows drives emotional regulation, sensory integration, memory, and cognitive executive functioning IS WHAT DID IT, in a free flow of non instructional NOT GUIDELINED STYLE of martial arts and ballet style dance, sparring, and dance walking NOW to the empirically evidenced way of Nike GPS sports watch to the tune of 3000 miles in 17 months, more than the distance across the U.S. in dance.

SO,
What has science done lately to make YOU a REAL LIFE 'Superman'.

Science is mighty cool; however, human creativity inspired through the real power of human emotion that is 'song' in essence AND 'poetry', (note: single quotes means metaphor ALERT) DRIVEN BY THE REAL POWER OF PHYSICAL INTELLIGENCE is where it's at for TRUE FLESH AND BLOOD AND BLOOD SUPERWOMEN and men. ;)

First there IS dark, then light, then movement or dance, then sound or song inspiring the continuous cycle of the Poetic Expression of the Uni-verse.

A Galaxy flows the same way a cat curls or fetus presents itself to life.

The secrets of TRUE HUMAN POWER ARE ALL AROUND, AND sadly most folks just stay STUCK IN THE MUD of status quo culture ever-changing a status-quo of nothing much, including science, as just the black and white sketch of the color of all that is per Mother Nature True to make humans the REAL FREDERICK Nietzsche DEFINITION OF superMEN or women, whatever may be the case.

Yes, there is much more to philosophy AND LIFE THAN SCIENCE.

SCIENCE IS simply THE SCRIBE making a metaphorical black and white sketch OF GOD AKA MOTHER NATURE TRUE, YO, YA REAL MAMMA!..;)

Last edited by aghogday on 30 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm

drh1138 wrote:
guzzle wrote:
I'm waiting for quantum physics to catch up and maybe, just maybe, it might offer an explanation for the metaphysical mysteries of qi, prana and consciousness itself. Will science ever be able to rebuild the chicken's egg?
Doubt it will be in my lifetime though... :|

Quantum mysticism is the most sinister piece of woo I've ever come to know from the New Age quacks. QM doesn't "explain" any of that crap because not only are those things in its domain of study, but they're not even proven to exist in the first place.

Sinister? Why would quackery be sinister? Only things that I find sinister are those that threaten my fundamental integrity and beliefs. GM foods are sinister to me. Hospitals are sinister places these days as you never know what super bugs are lurking in them.

Quote:
Science is a religion

Dear TEDsters,

For almost a decade I've been appauled by people claiming that "if you don't trust science you're an idiot" or "Religion ha that's just for people who don't know facts!" or the really old "If you don't think I'm right you must be incompetent".
These arguments have been made by many scientific and religious fanatics alike.

Nowadays more and more people seem to confuse science with fact. Also there is the expression "to measure is to know" (at least in my language that is an expression). Although this is in part true this doesn't hold for the entire field of science and not even neccesarily for the most basic principles of science.

First of all let me state that I do not and can (probably) never know how you percieve the world as is the case for your ability to judge me.
Secondly even how you percieve the world changes during your lifetime as does it for me. Do you still remember how when you were young a kilometer seemed so large and tables seemed high etc.?

What we can do however is take an object (clone it) show it to everyone (which doesn't mean everyone has the same perception) and label that. This is for instance what we've done with a meter. Then we use a great invention called math to be able to do calculations with or about this object.
Up till now everything is fine ;)

Great scientists can percieve things differently. Einstein for instance saw a relation between energy, mass and the speed of light. Something nobody at that time saw, and probably many still do not. The fact is however that his equation is accurately describing/predicting many galactical events and phenomenon.

But we must NEVER forget that all we do is describe the events in such a way that our (math) explaination of it can insanely closely (up the the point where we have full believe in it) show what will happen.

The fundations of science however is that we believe what we percieve and we assume that when our describtion of it is correct the physics behind it is too.

In this thread I try to take the point of view that all science is based upon the faith that our perceptions could be wrong and that therefor our scientific findings could be wrong. (This is not my personal view but I wanted to encourage people to see it like this.)
Also I try to enhance the point that although we are reasonably sure that we have accurately described certain observations throught the use of math it could always be possible that another explaination better describes this (aka einstein > newton).
Thirdly I wanted to focus on the 'unquestionability' of science where people always think that previous scientific findings are 100% fact. Even though there are many instances of previous scientific beliefs that have been falsified through the process of science. However the very idea that backs up science is that "something is true unless proven false" basically also means "A true scientist cannot ever be 100% sure of anything". Which than automatically makes it such that he has faith that previous findings are correct.

Quite a few people get a bit too hung up on the differences between science and religion that they forget to argue with the real point that I try to make.
And some people (falsly) believe that questioning science means that you disregard findings which "work" (especially examples with medicine are used in this thread).

Also too many people are thinking that the idea of God is somehow ret*d because science has proven that there is none... which is also false. Science has just shown that to explain most things we do not need one (btw I am an atheist). And imo we cannot go into the argument because science can never prove that there is no God because he would be almighty (if he exists he can make us believe whatever we could believe).

The brain in the vat argument does well to make people think about the above concepts.

In the end I came to realize that it takes more faith, and less benefits, to believe in science than it does in God
http://www.ted.com/conversations/9998/s ... igion.html

emax10000
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

I think you have to factor in the fact that there seems to be a natural progression towards being more religious as we get older. I mean, looking at the 15-30 crowd int he 60s and 70s, I highly, highly doubt they are as religious and observant as they are now they they have gotten several decades older. At this age millennials are still trying to determine what their identity actually is. And of course there is also the fact that irreligious and atheist are definitely not synonyms in any way, shape or form. So I think this has to be factored in, much as I understand why some Aspies here might feel hopeful that this is a sign of religion and spirituality disappearing.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:32 pm

drh1138 wrote:
Just noticed some lexical ambiguities in my previous post that I can't change due to the new edit policy. Qi/ki/chi, prana, magic, the Force, the Weave, PSI, and whatever-other-mystical-malarky-have-you, are NOT in the domain of quantum mechanics; and the reference to "QM" later in the post was not to quantum mysticism, but to mechanics.

Anyways.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am pretty sure that movie is about quantum physics....

No, it uses the appearances of such, but most of the people in that movie are either part of JZ Knight's spiritualist cult, are speaking outside of their scientific fields of expertise (if they have any legitimate scientific backgrounds at all), and the single guy who actually knew what he was talking about was misled and cherry-picked to support the movie's premises. He even spoke out against the film-makers for doing this.

Actual quantum mechanics supports very little in the way of the movie's premises (i.e., psychic powers, manifestations, astral travel, the so-called "law of attraction", and so on and so forth).

This is a fairly comprehensive dissection of that piece of pseudointellectual trash, and its fallacies:

Quote:
Anyways what is a woo-monger? I am genuinely curious about this......either way there is plenty science doesn't 'explain' either, so can't blame people for looking outside the confines of traditional science/mathmatics in an attempt to understand the world/universe really is my opinion and some of what I've heard is intriguing. But certainly open to quantum physics theories being disproven...I do take it with a grain of salt but not so sure it should be dismissed entirely as BS in all cases but who knows.

A woo-monger (my terminology, not saying I'm the first person to use it) is someone who exploits common logical fallacies latent in everyday public thinking for the promotion of pseudoscience, religion, or "magical thinking" in general. Other synonyms might be "quack", "charlatan", "snake oil salesman", and "confidence trickster", except very often they've fallen victim to their own lies and ignorance and believe in the very product they're selling.

aghogday wrote:
*psychobabble about "Mother Nature"*

Hmm well as I said I do take it with a grain of salt...I think the only bit of that movie I remember was the thing about the water with different energy supposedly looking different microscopically, if that was even in that movie...and a bit of how the physical world may not be as solid as one would take it to be. It did seem kinda hyped up though and like they threw a lot of crap in with a couple somewhat interesting ideas....it did not seem like a very legit 'documentary' if you can even call it one.

Also though I am mostly neutral as I don't care much either way but does science actually disprove the existance of any kind of entity and/or energy outside of the physical realm or no? Also does it prove that if such a thing existed it could not influence the physical world at all?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:37 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
For some definition of religion, at least.

Personally I don't see any important difference between, for example, an atheist psychiatrist who espouses the chemical imbalance theory of mental illness (as such a person accepts on faith a set of received knowledge bearing at best incidental resemblance to truth, promulgated by those who stand to materially benefit from said knowledge being acted upon, and does so act upon it, authoritatively and at times coercively) and your typical priest. But the former would be counted as irreligious.

Considering brain chemistry plays a major role in feelings and behavior, makes more sense than not that chemical imbalance at the very least can play a role in mental illnesses. Of course much of the time they don't care to determine why the chemical imbalance may exist...might be having been stuck in a negative situation too long or still stuck in that situation, being sent on their way with medication isn't going to fix that. There is actually some basis to that, unlike 'The bible is truth' which is a reason I hear a lot of christians give for why they believe what they do...so not sure how a psychiatrist and priest would be similar at all.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:38 pm

trollcatman wrote:
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Somehow the US is much more religious than Europe, I never understood why. Almost none of the politicians are openly atheist, unlike Europe.

That would be because of Europe's history of being majorly involved in 2 world wars. They lost a lot of people, so it's not surprising if nihilistic attitudes have arisen.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

emax10000 wrote:
I think you have to factor in the fact that there seems to be a natural progression towards being more religious as we get older. I mean, looking at the 15-30 crowd int he 60s and 70s, I highly, highly doubt they are as religious and observant as they are now they they have gotten several decades older. At this age millennials are still trying to determine what their identity actually is. And of course there is also the fact that irreligious and atheist are definitely not synonyms in any way, shape or form. So I think this has to be factored in, much as I understand why some Aspies here might feel hopeful that this is a sign of religion and spirituality disappearing.

This.
Irreligous is not the same thing as "militantly atheist". And probably about 30 percent of Victorians were not regular churchgoers either.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm

emax10000 wrote:

The non-religious are a larger part of the population than before. The population is also older than before. Your theory that people become religious when older doesn't seem to be true. If it were true, religion would be on the rise because of rising age. Also, a lot of the least religious countries are in Europe, and have aging populations.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
emax10000 wrote:

This.
Irreligous is not the same thing as "militantly atheist". And probably about 30 percent of Victorians were not regular churchgoers either.

Generally speaking, people tend to become more conservative and more rigid in their thinking as they get older, and that has certainly always been more than apparent in the rows of Southern Baptist churches, as long as I've lived for over 5 decades, in an area that held the greatest number of churches per square mile, per Guinness and that trend remains.

There are just more avenues for spiritual development than brick and mortar churches, in fact, tons of them, just on the Internet for a much fuller buffet of spiritual choices.

And a myth has been superimposed by militant atheists, and even moderators here, in the past that most folks in this forum are atheist, and a Boston University Research study that ACTUALLY used this forum for a peer reviewed study showed nothing could further AWAY FROM THE TRUTH HERE, even WHEN folks of the GOD leaning religious orientation were commonly ridiculed, called trolls, or even banned simply 'cause they were Autistic and did not RECIPROCATE COMMUNICATION WHEN putting up a 'GOD' post here, in deciding NOT to deal with all the ostracizing AND PERSONAL attacks that DID GO on here in the past NOT CHECKED, BY other more open minded people.

But anyway, in the HAY DAY of the so-called militant atheist folks here, when there was even a subgroup titled the strident WP Atheists for solidarity AGAINST A CONCEPT OF God, THE BOSTON University Research study shows that ONLY 26% OF PARTICIPANTS ON THIS FORUM, actually expressed an atheist ideology.

http://mindmodeling.org/cogsci2011/papers/0782/paper0782.pdf

And that is compared to a similar demographic of so-called neuro-typicals in another online avenue at 17%.

If the study was done today, now that there is neutral moderation IT WOULD not surprise me if the statistic is close to equal or even less than the so-called neuro-typical control group.

The Internet has always catered to a skewed population of Atheists, overall, as it is, moreover, mechanical cognition oriented over the emotional mind that connects to what folks call GOD.

There are many folks on the Autism Spectrum who think deeper about life than the everyday herd.

And when those voices are not silenced they do become heard, and to the potential dismay of the metaphorical strident Atheists of the past that day has come here, and there are more spiritually leaning voices LETTING their opinion be heard freely by a greater herd of open minded participants and moderators, as is.

The idea that GOD is going away is as much of a pipe dream as the idea that Nature is going away, or even so-called reciprocal social communication deficits, and repetitive behaviors aka Autism.

Those are givens of human nature, per the overwhelming majority of it at about the 1 to 3 percent of the Bell Curve being the exception.

If statistics and science have any merit at all, GOD IS GOING NOWHERE, NO MATTER how diffuse in different those paths may become.

And perhaps they will be as diffuse and different as some of the ones 'we' see on this forum.

People see their Universes differently, as each person is a fractal of it that is similar and different by way of human creativity and emotion that can make two people remarkably different in life, no matter what their environmental circumstances may be.

As a whole more folks in the world are now free to find their own path to how they Perceive GOD, and that IS ONE OF THE GREATEST REWARDS FOR POTENTIAL HUMAN EXISTENTIAL INTELLIGENCE SET FREE!..:)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

aghogday wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Do ya get it yet!..

And that's the truth!

REALLY.

In what WAY is Mother Nature not REAL?

Explain please...

I'M ALL EARS.

I clearly stated that GOD is the same dam thing as Mother Nature.

And you turned around and clearly stated THAT GOD is NOT anymore real than the Abrahamic GOD.

What part of THAT did YOU NOT you get.

Seriously.

I'm ALL EARS.

IF ya wanna explain, CLARIFY, AND VALIDATE your idea to ME. :)

IF NOT.. THE RECORD STANDS AS is. :)

Nature is real.
The personification of nature you refer to as 'mother nature' is not.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 8:32 pm

Put in your HEARING AID and READ WHAT I say!

You can ALWAYS TELL that a THREAD HAS DIED when the WOOISTS TAKE OVER!

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.