Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2015, 4:26 am

This talk from an autistic man should be watched by all. Firstly it dispels the myth the autistic people have no empathy. This guy has a superior grasp of human emotions and how people react to things than the vast majority of NT's. Secondly there is a valuable message to all those "angry" people within the autistic community. This guys speaks some wise words and if you really want to change things then they should be listened to. Rightious anger can be a great driver for action but it is very rarely a drive for actual change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... kD9d8qzB-g

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:45 pm

I agree. Anger has no place in activism. It is usually counter-productive.

The way to be a good activist is to make use of the energy of your anger toward achieving positive results.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 11:18 pm

Couldn't disagree more strongly with this appeal to slave morality.

Forgiveness is for the strong to grant the weak, or for equals.

Scum such as JRC are entitled to forgiveness only after they voluntarily cease operations, liberate and make compensation to their prisoners; or until they are brought to justice.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2015, 3:28 pm

HOW we conduct ourselves matters. We should be incredibly angry about certain things (the JRC of course tops that list!). However, we can't demonize the folks who demonize us--that accomplishes nothing. In fact, it would give them further evidence that we lack empathy & are less than human.

Instead, let's use our calm logical brains. Let's show our love. Let's use our talents--artistic, musical, scientific, whatever they may be. If we keep writing and singing and painting and achieving and connecting, we really can change public perception.

There is a time for anger, but not for hate. we can't use their playbook, or we've already lost.

"I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. [...] In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, [...] Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?"
-Sherlock, in Elementary ("The Marchioness")

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 7:42 pm

AhsokaLives wrote:
HOW we conduct ourselves matters. We should be incredibly angry about certain things (the JRC of course tops that list!). However, we can't demonize the folks who demonize us--that accomplishes nothing. In fact, it would give them further evidence that we lack empathy & are less than human.

Instead, let's use our calm logical brains. Let's show our love. Let's use our talents--artistic, musical, scientific, whatever they may be. If we keep writing and singing and painting and achieving and connecting, we really can change public perception.

There is a time for anger, but not for hate. we can't use their playbook, or we've already lost.

I doubt your tone would be so conciliatory if you'd spent a few years in an institution yourself.

But you're right that we can't use their playbook. No therapy for oppressors of autists. Put them up against the wall and be done with it.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2015, 3:31 am

not years, but 6-8 weeks. so I can't relate to just how horrible things were for you, but I got a taste. i do think that we get more folks on our side (NTs or otherwise) if we present the facts as they stand. most folks i know will come around given the cold, hard facts. however, if the conversation starts with how much i hate a person/group of people, threats against them, etc., pretty much no one listens to what i say after that.

the anger is justified. but we've got to harness it productively to combat such evil. And this is only my suggestion, not some sort of ultimatum or declaration. there is certainly a time to let people see the emotional response to all of the harm that they have caused you.

"I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. [...] In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, [...] Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?"
-Sherlock, in Elementary ("The Marchioness")

maglevsky
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2015, 6:40 am

Quote:
I agree. Anger has no place in activism. It is usually counter-productive.

I'm with kraftie on this one. Of course, if there is anger, it does have to be expressed somehow, or better, transformed into some other form of energy that can do something good. But within activism, anger just makes the whole thing ineffective (not that I have any opinion on how effective or ineffective activism is right now - I simply don't know).

Having said that... I made the mistake of staying with Youtube's "up next" suggestions.
This video makes me want to turn the volume way down - and pity that poor screaming woman.
And this one makes me want to walk up to the dad and punch him in the face. Actually I have no opinion whatsoever regarding the therapies he promotes, it's just... so much fakeness in one place at one time... how is that even possible? By rights the universe should have exploded!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 8:33 am

JRC needs a truth and reconciliation process.

From accounts that I have read, being a guard or torturer there was a scarring experience, too. There is so much that has been denied and left unspoken and unacknowledged. The best thing would be to bring it all out in the open.

Anger and sorrow are only to be expected in the face of this kind of thing. I don't think it makes sense to supress those feelings--but compassion and recognition of shared humanity has to be the main focus, if any progress is to be made.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 9:23 pm

I could never forgive the leadership of The Judge Rotenberg Center

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman