Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

2cat007
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2015, 12:04 pm

I need to get my teeth fixed next month, and my mom wants me to take valium for it. What are y'all's experiences with it, because last time I had my teeth pulled I had a panic attack in the dentist chair, they gave me versed. :( Now I'm nervous to take valium, because I don't want an experience like last time.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

I am confused Valium is supposed to counter-act panic attacks not cause them...so taking valium should reduce anxiety so you don't end up going into a panic attack.

brett0007
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm

It gives you a nice warm empty feeling and 'numbs' your brain in my experience taking it.

Indecently I have a similar reaction to what you described but with laughing gas. I'm no doctor but id guess certain sedatives just "don't" agree with some people.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 5:10 pm

I'm not qualified in medicine, but I would have thought Valium would affect your respiratory system, which is not the sort of thing you should be taking before you go to the dentist. As Sweetleaf said, you didn't react to the Valium last time you sat in the dentists chair. Your panic attack was related to the experience of having teeth pulled in the dentists chair and not due to any medication you took. I really think you and your mum need to explain your situation to the dentist before your next visit. He can suggest medication you can take before he starts work on your teeth.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 6:50 am

Novacain can cause anxiety. That is my biggest problem at the dentist. The more they have to use, the worse it is.

I would really wonder what drug caused the anxiety last time. Perhaps the calming agent just didn't work or maybe too much pain med was used.

Valium is great. I took some before I had a full-body MRI done (I am claustrophobic.) I was SO relaxed - all my muscles and my mind. I was aware of what was going on, but it didn't bother me in the least to be in the machine. I honestly don't know if I've ever been that relaxed except for that time I took the Valium. I often react to medicine opposite to normal, or they don't work well. But the Valium worked!