Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

hiwaychile
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2015, 9:07 pm

I have been a truck driver for 12 years. Previously I worked in the publishing field as a writer and editor; also in municipal government as an Engineering Technician. But both those jobs were years ago and the landscape has changed; also I have no recent experience in either.
But I had a truck accident last month; currently I am on Workers Compensation, which pays for the medical bills, but not the lost wages, and so I have no income. Cannot qualify for unemployment since my doctor has me on restricted duty, and the company fired me anyway so I couldn't even do less physical work for them.
I need to make a change but I don't know what to do and it is causing me great stress.
Has anyone at this stage in life made a career/job change that was pretty dramatic? And if so, how did you do it? I would be very interested in hearing from you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm

Maybe you could freelance as a writer/editor.

Or perhaps you could go back to being an "engineering technician." Or perhaps a consultant to an engineering project.

It seems as if you don't have much "gaps" in your employment. You're on Workers Comp, so this is not really a "gap."

You could certainly be a tutor, while searching for other work.

Others will certainly chime in.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:42 pm

My guess is that you are more likely to find something in writing than as a technician--I think there is a great need for accurate technical writing, but few have the technical background to do anything but parrot what they are told.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2015, 11:34 am

Would you be in a position to do some qualifications and re-train? Maybe become a trainer or teacher to make use of your years of experience? Maybe engineering or whatever the subject you used to write about?

I wonder whether you could teach people to drive trucks, thereby keeping and utilising your current experience and expanding upon that in a slightly different way. Obviously I don't know if your situation would allow for that but you wouldn't have to cover as many miles as you probably had to and you would get to sleep in your own bed every night.

I have to say that your ex employers sound like a nasty bunch, don't they believe in supporting their workers?

Hope you get sorted.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2015, 8:16 am

I've seen a lot of people at your age make the switch to teaching high school. I guess because you have a lot of experience and hopefully wisdom to impart. That's one of the more valuable assets someone your age would have.

hiwaychile
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2015, 8:30 pm

Thank you all for your ideas. I appreciate it. I'm still open to new suggestions. I am a little apprehensive about truck driving as I recently was in a bad accident and am a little bit shell-shocked. It would be great to have something I could do from home; I know the internet is supposed to be a place where people can earn money from home, but I don't understand how that could work? Is there anyone out there who is doing something on the internet and earning a living? If so, I'd be very interested in hearing how that is done. Thanks!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 9:22 pm

Truck driving is not for everyone.

I couldn't be a truck driver unless I only drove on the highway.

I was an avid watcher of "Ice Road Truckers." I've always wanted to be a truck driver since I was a 15 year old kid who wanted to talk on the CB to pick up girls.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 11:10 pm

How about being a bookkeeper?

ProviderReviews
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2015, 2:19 am

Sounds like you're in the USA. Does your state have a Dept. of Rehabilitation? I believe their mission is to provide job retraining.

samanthacraft
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2015, 2:24 pm

I work for the following company that was founded to provide work for people on the spectrum.
Maybe it's a fit? Best wishes to you.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13xM ... GLUQU/edit

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:44 am

hiwaychile wrote:
I have been a truck driver for 12 years. Previously I worked in the publishing field as a writer and editor; also in municipal government as an Engineering Technician. But both those jobs were years ago and the landscape has changed; also I have no recent experience in either.
But I had a truck accident last month; currently I am on Workers Compensation, which pays for the medical bills, but not the lost wages, and so I have no income. Cannot qualify for unemployment since my doctor has me on restricted duty, and the company fired me anyway so I couldn't even do less physical work for them.
I need to make a change but I don't know what to do and it is causing me great stress.
Has anyone at this stage in life made a career/job change that was pretty dramatic? And if so, how did you do it? I would be very interested in hearing from you.

You was a truck driver congrats :D , i hope you can recover and get you old job.
You can be writer or try IT jobs, as i kid i dreamed to be airline pilot or truck driver, even trough i prefer airplanes, but i had accident as kid and had certain neurological condition that is permanently disqualify for any pilot license and for commercial driving license, even if someone not have for almost 20 years because some morons doctors said so! :evil:

So you was truck driver so autistic individuals have no problems with gaining commercial driver license in America?
Here in Poland every who want be professional career transportation driver, must undergo detailed, commercial driver psychological evaluation.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:14 pm

I think it's unfair for the company to fire you after an accident.

It's an occupational hazard which each and every driver faces. The company should stand behind you.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:23 pm

hiwaychile wrote:
. . . It would be great to have something I could do from home; I know the internet is supposed to be a place where people can earn money from home, but I don't understand how that could work? . . .

I think tech writing is a possibility, but I suspect it takes some time to get started and build up a reputation.

I think some people do alright selling stuff over eBay and over time develop their own individual streamlined method for the mailing.

A person can write stuff for Kindle. And actually, erotica might be one of the better bets. I've heard a good pen name or two helps to free up the creativity and make it more fun, just don't expect a fortune.