Hyperactivity (not ADHD)? My brain is too fast sometimes.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 7:30 am

I have a tendency to either be really quiet or talk too much (I tend to be at either of the extremes and not so much in the middle). For me that mostly depends on four things:

1. What mood I'm in (if I'm anxious, stressed out, depressed, okay etc).

2. How comfortable I am with the person I'm talking to.

3. What I'm talking about.

4. What my thoughts are like.

I'd like to focus on the thoughts in this post. I always think a lot (too much according to a lot of people). However, the "speed" of my thoughts varies. I've noticed that my thoughts are very rapid during the days when I talk "too much". That's actually something I find difficult to explain because I don't think I think more thoughts, it just feels like my brain works incredibly fast (though I don't know if it does). It feels like I process things faster and like I have excess energy for no apparent reason. During those days I have a hard time sitting still, I fidget more than usual (though I often fidget a lot) and I talk quickly to catch up to my brain. I sometimes I even talk louder than usual. I'm not kidding when I say there have been days when I've locked myself in the bathroom at university and just taken a moment to flail/shake my arms and flap my hands (which I don't do otherwise) just to get rid of the excess energy.

Most days aren't like that. Most days I think a lot, talk a bit (or not at all) and process things in my normal speed but some days are weird. Today for example.

When I was assessed for ASD I was also assessed for ADHD. I apparently show traits/symptoms of ADHD (difficulties focusing, difficulties getting started with things, easily distracted) that, according to the psychologist, probably affects my ASD a little bit but I don't actually have ADHD.

Just wondering what causes me to feel/act/think the way I do on days like today and if it's something that's common among people with ASD or people in general. Wouldn't be surprised if everyone experiences it. What do you think?

EDIT: Right now I'm sitting at university and it feels like my brain won't slow down. Like I said, I don't know if it's actually faster than usual but it feels like it. It also feels like I could really accomplish things today if I only got started but the speed of things in my head distracts me.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 8:43 am

Do you find it hard to sleep at night due to the speed and intensity of your thinking patterns? Can you sit down in a quiet place and read a book that interests you? Giftedness can often be misdiagnosed as ADHD.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 9:56 am

corroonb wrote:
Do you find it hard to sleep at night due to the speed and intensity of your thinking patterns?

Sometimes. Most of the time it's incredibly easy for me to fall asleep though. It only takes a few minutes (if that). There are exceptions of course and all those exceptions are because of the "speed" of my thoughts.

corroonb wrote:
Can you sit down in a quiet place and read a book that interests you?

In general or when my thoughts are all rapid like they are today? Anyway, I read a lot so yes, I can sit down in a quiet place and read a book if it interests me. Sometimes I read for hours and hours but other times I read a couple of sentences and then all of a sudden don't feel like reading anymore.

corroonb wrote:
Giftedness can often be misdiagnosed as ADHD.

I apparently don't have ADHD and I'm sure I'm not gifted either.