Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 8:36 pm

I'm the same way about giving compliments and I don't know why either. Maybe I feel it's because it might give me some intimate connection with a person that I don't want. I'm usually indifferent about receiving compliments too.

hypermind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2007, 10:38 pm

i have difficulty recieving compliments as well. sometimes will just make me paranoid.

but giving compliments is not that hard to me. mostly you just have to be honest. standart, unfounded, or exaggerated compliments wont do much, but anything said uprightly and meant, without being blunt, would work, (that counts for other types of criticism as well mostly). the tricky part may be to estimate if its appropriate or not, in the situation and considering how you relate with that person.

'nice boobs' is no good, obviously. but if you find something about a person that you like specifically about that person, that you wouldnt be saying about most other persons, that should work.

bjmax31
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2007, 11:26 pm

I do receive my fair share of compliments!

. . . . . . . . Compliments a CHILD would receive!! !

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 7:22 am

Somehow I just don't know how to complement well. I tell the truth well though. I've learned not to complement unless it is purely spontaneous truth. And I take them horribly. I've found that it is easier to play up the vain fool, then to try to deal with them in a reasonable manner.

Losonti
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Mar 2007, 7:30 am

calandale wrote:
I've found that it is easier to play up the vain fool, then to try to deal with them in a reasonable manner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean you put on a false air of confidence or arrogance as a way to deflect compliments?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 8:10 am

Sometimes. I get compliments and say things like, "I know." Sometimes I get so high off this that I start just handing them out to myself. Narcisism is almost always a sign of low self-esteem.

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2007, 3:13 pm

I can't take compliments at all. On my last teaching practice my tutor told me that he couldn't have taught the lesson any better and I couldn't even look at the guy. I just stood there frozen and then said "okay, well I'll see you tomorrow". I wrote him a letter at the end to say thank you for being so complimentary.

As for giving compliments, it often never even crosses my mind, but when i do it tends to make people look at me like I'm a freak. The other day I said "I like your watch" and everyone looked at each other in that way that people look at each other when I say things.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 4:04 pm

Your "I like your watch" statement reminded me of my wife. She always said things like that, and people would look oddly at her. Thanks.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 11:29 am

I enjoy complimenting people and I don't mind receiving them (as long as it's respectful). It's just a normal thing for me, and it can encourage others to continue doing the things they love to do.
Whenever I positively compliment my mom's cooking, for instance, she would feel delighted, thankful, and encouraged to continue her cooking. Whenever my dance instructor positively compliments the way I dance, I feel good about myself and encouraged to continue my dancing.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 5:52 pm

Usually I either respond well receiving compliments or not well. For instance - when I receive a compliment from certain friends, or even better imo, from people I barely even know, I take it to heart. I'm touched lol. :D Receiving them from others, especially when people compliment my guitar playing, I tend to feel awkward... I do like receiving them, just that I don't respond well...
I give them out on occasion... usually to girls I like. :mrgreen: Also to real close friends, and people who help me out.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 6:53 pm

Compliments can be the best thing in the world and I love recieving them but I dont know how to give them.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

04 Jun 2007, 7:02 pm

I don't mind giving them, although I give them rarely--if I give out a compliment, I mean it.

Getting them... I don't get. I get complimented on my intelligence fairly often and I still haven't learned how to accept them without making other people feel bad. :/ And on the rare occasion I get complimented on something else, I've _no_ idea on how to handle it except "oh, thanks!" *shrinks a little*

I love getting them, don't get me wrong, I just never know what to say.

Trugen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 6:33 pm

GoatOnFire wrote:
I am the very worst at, both at giving and receiving.

same here :D

Omni: Temp
Face of Madness: Myself :twisted: