Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 9:13 pm

It would have been much sadder but for the kindness visited upon the kiwi visitor on that occasion. I do feel a great debt of gratitude to Australia, despite the legendary competition between our two countries. I have never experienced a similar level of kindness here, nor in any other country I have visited, though kind people are everywhere. (In New Orleans particularly, I must add, of all my trips to and within the USA).

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 9:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm glad you have so much to inspire you, despite the tragic events.

I wish I could meet you in Townsville---right on the top of Australia.

I started to speak in 1966.

Come on over, down under! I have never been to Townsville, though I hope to visit it as one thing on my bucket list is to circumnavigate Australia, stopping everywhere on the 3 week journey around the massive coast. I hope that time and health will allow me to fulfil this long-held dream, so that I can meet many more amazing people in one of the greatest countries in the world...

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 9:49 pm

Eleanor Roosevelt - for wisdom and perception about the need for personal maturity and urging people to realise their own power rather than giving it away.

From Wikipedia:
President John F. Kennedy and former Presidents Truman and Eisenhower attended Roosevelt's funeral at Hyde Park. At the memorial service, Adlai Stevenson asked, "What other single human being has touched and transformed the existence of so many?" He further praised her by stating, "She would rather light a candle than curse the darkness, and her glow has warmed the world.

Last edited by B19 on 11 Feb 2015, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 9:53 pm

Eleanor Roosevelt is one of my all-time favorites.