Do you think genetics determine physical strength?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 3:19 pm

I was wondering because I see that taller people have more physical strength than shorter people and some people have good strength and they don't exercise, some friends touched my wrist and said that my meat is so soft and I held their wrist and mine and I knew the difference, my friends don't exercise but are taller than me and when your meat is soft it means you don't have muscles or that they're weak so I wanted to know is it genetics or food or exercise which gives the most potential for physical ability??
I also think big boned people are stronger, my friends have bigger bones than mine
I think its genes but I wanted to know what others think

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 4:33 pm

Your genes determine a relatively small amount of how strong you can be and start out as but really though, its how you work for it that makes the difference. Muscles gain strength through exercise. More importantly, you gain stamina. Stamina is the real 'strength' ... you can be very strong but if you can't use that strength for more than a couple of minutes then you will always lose to the guy that is weaker but that can keep at it for hours.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 4:44 pm

In weightlifting terms saying somebody has "good genetics" is basically the same as saying they have "good leverage". Of course certain people are born with naturally better leverage than others when it comes to attributes like pushing-strength, etc.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:19 pm

I used to think its all from genetics and that exercising is needed just to activate the genes
There are people with no muscles but very good physical strength but I guess those might be rare

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:54 pm

i doubt that genetics are completely null - they do play a role, but yeah, a guy with 'inferior' genetics that eats right and is dedicated to his training will outperform a guy with 'superior' genetics (however that would be measured) who eats badly and doesn't really train.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 9:12 pm

There is a lot of things that determine physical strength. Your diet, lifestyle, and training are things that you can change.

Then theres things that you can't change that determine your overall strength. Your size is one of them. A 5 ft 2 105 pound man isn't going to be as strong as someone who is 5 ft 10 and 160 pounds. If you're much smaller than the average person, then yes you're going to be a lot weaker but only because you're so much smaller. How you're built also plays a role in your strength. A skinny guy probably isn't going to be as strong compared to someone who is stockier.

Genetics also determine physical strength as well. Some people are just naturally stronger than others. They can put on more muscle and more quicker than others can. Some people don't even workout and they look buff. Meanwhile being a hardgainer makes it almost impossible to put on muscle mass.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 9:52 pm

At 5' 2" and 105 lbs I've still been strong enough to completely cut through 4 inch maple tree branches with a cheap bow saw.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 9:26 am

I think people who are genetically strong don't have muscles from what I see, I think something in their body is just strong from birth, some of them are really short and tiny and are females even thought I read females are so much weaker than males physically but their stamina is so much greater, might be the force they can put or that some people know how to concentrate good mass/force in their hand for a good punch even if they're not strong but they know how to use what they have, also I think the enviroment and enviroment of ancestors determine your body strength without the muscles and mass, I think it might be something else but I can't figure what it is lol.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 9:55 am

Up to a point. I am an example of such a thing: back when I started practicing parkour, my friends complimented me on my strength, despite the fact that, up to that point, the only regular exercise I had been doing for the last 3 years was walking a few hour a day. However, as Dantac mentioned, my stamina is lacking when it comes to strength, which puts me at a disadvantage in relation to people who do strength exercises regularly (I hate strength exercises). I was also considerably more buff than the average guy, with a body very similar to a chimpanzee's (WARNING: this hairless chimpanzee is very creepy looking).

Of course, genes can only do so much. Since I quit my job seven months ago, I have become extremely sedentary, staying inside my home for weeks at a time. As a result, I have grown fat (height: 1,7 m; weight: 80 kg, when it used to be around 68 kg), halfway between a chimp and a gorilla in appearance. My strength does not seem to have decreased by much, but my stamina is even lower than before.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
Up to a point. I am an example of such a thing: back when I started practicing parkour, my friends complimented me on my strength, despite the fact that, up to that point, the only regular exercise I had been doing for the last 3 years was walking a few hour a day. However, as Dantac mentioned, my stamina is lacking when it comes to strength, which puts me at a disadvantage in relation to people who do strength exercises regularly (I hate strength exercises). I was also considerably more buff than the average guy, with a body very similar to a chimpanzee's (WARNING: this hairless chimpanzee is very creepy looking).

Of course, genes can only do so much. Since I quit my job seven months ago, I have become extremely sedentary, staying inside my home for weeks at a time. As a result, I have grown fat (height: 1,7 m; weight: 80 kg, when it used to be around 68 kg), halfway between a chimp and a gorilla in appearance. My strength does not seem to have decreased by much, but my stamina is even lower than before.

I guess stamina is the power to endure more so if you're tired or sleepy or depressed it will get weaker

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 11:29 pm

Diet, exercise, genetics - in that order.

You are what you eat.

And there's no sense in doing tons of exercise expecting to get stronger and then not eating the right things to build your body up. You could just wear yourself out and get weaker if you don't eat right.

I say genetics is dead last of the three because I used to be softer & overweight. Now I'm in pretty good shape. My twin brother, OTOH, does not eat as I do nor does he exercise much and he's out of shape, soft, and weaker than me.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Mar 2015, 11:35 pm

Yes some people are just naturally bigger, stronger, and leaner than others. Other than height tho you can change that.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 10:38 am

Genetics mainly determine how easy it is for you to build/lose muscle, they have very little effect on starting/final level, just the effect of training

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2017, 10:27 am

All I have know is that I have shtty asss genes for power.