Page 1 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 2:42 pm

This is the best smackdown of the pro gun arguments i've heard yet.

My deviant art profile

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:26 pm

The #1 reason for guns where I am at in Michigan, USA is for 'Hunting'. Hunting and fishing are very popular. People will have a huge display of their different rifles, crossbows, handguns, and heads of animals. Perhaps hunting is not as popular in Australia?

My relatives in Colorado used their rifles and handguns to kill the rattlesnakes and bears that came to their property. So, self-defense towards animals.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm

I'm divided in my opinion about guns, but I thought this skit was weak. It it really so inconceivable that a weapon might be used in self defense? Remember, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away".

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:43 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
The #1 reason for guns where I am at in Michigan, USA is for 'Hunting'. Hunting and fishing are very popular. People will have a huge display of their different rifles, crossbows, handguns, and heads of animals. Perhaps hunting is not as popular in Australia?

Hunting is in many countries, even in big brother UK. The difference in America though you have military grade weapons with unnecessarilly high rates of fire available in everyday retailers. The popularity of hunting is not an argument for publically available assault rifles though which was the main thrust of the stand up routine above.

My deviant art profile

Last edited by thomas81 on 21 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:44 pm

staremaster wrote:
I'm divided in my opinion about guns, but I thought this skit was weak. It it really so inconceivable that a weapon might be used in self defense? Remember, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away".

I dont think he's saying that it inconceivable that a weapon might be used in self defence, i think he's saying that the odds against you having a gun at an appropriate time outweighs the benefit of you actually owning one. Statistically you're eighty percent more likely to shoot yourself with it since we all go through 'low periods' where we think irrationally. Having a gun makes suicide far easier.

I would probably be dead several times over if i lived in a country where guns were legal and i was predisposed towards wanting one.

My deviant art profile

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 7:00 pm

thomas81 wrote:
staremaster wrote:

I dont think he's saying that it inconceivable that a weapon might be used in self defence, i think he's saying that the odds against you having a gun at an appropriate time outweighs the benefit of you actually owning one. Statistically you're eighty percent more likely to shoot yourself with it since we all go through 'low periods' where we think irrationally. Having a gun makes suicide far easier.

I would probably be dead several times over if i lived in a country where guns were legal and i was predisposed towards wanting one.

Not all suicide is irrational. In many places euthenasia is not legal so people resort to guns or other stuff to die.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 8:12 pm

trollcatman wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
staremaster wrote:

Not all suicide is irrational. In many places euthenasia is not legal so people resort to guns or other stuff to die.

Euthanasia is a completely divorced issue. The point is that many suicides happen when people are thinking irrationally and having a gun on standby only exacerbates the chances of someone killing themselves while on a 'low ebb'.

My deviant art profile

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 9:30 pm

I think I’ve seen his act before.
He’s an idiot.
• First off, I for one have no use whatsoever for any comedian that has to resort to preaching politics, right or left, in their act. It’s not comedy then, it’s attempted, indoctrination. Well, maybe I shouldn't use the word attempted for all cases since it does work on the weak minded.
And I guess to some, anyone willing to get up on stage and say f**k a lot is just a riot.

• They didn't ban guns in Oz, they just placed (insert draconian) gun laws on the books out of opportunistic knee-jerk reaction, kind of like what some US anti-gun lobbyists and their pet politicians try to do here.

• What business is it of any foreigner what we do over here? If he’s afraid of guns in this country then simply stay out. Last time I checked, bullets aren't capable of trans-oceanic flight.

• Of course, he adds the tiresome bit about suicide and that we all get sad and subsequently shoot ourselves.

• Then the Sandy Hook thingy and how armed teachers are going to go off at the slightest provocation…..

• He equates gun ownership to slavery. Well, I have to give him points for originally since I’ve never seen that angle taken before. I’ve seen the rednecks-guns-racism-slavery equation thingy but not this.

• He claims that Wal-Mart will deliver a “Bushmaster” to your house. This is only further affirmation that he, like all anti-gunners, are idiots that have little to no knowledge of that which they speak of. Let’s see what else he has to say.

• The second amendment as it applied to the militia during the federalist era and how it only pertains to musketry. Nothing new here that I haven’t already addressed sufficiently in past gunz-r-bad threads…..

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 9:57 pm

I agree with him.

I've known many gun owners. Some were hunters, some were collectors and hobbyists, I've also met people who were victims of crimes (even ongoing crimes like stalking), and then I've met a lot who just think they're the coolest for owning a firearm and get off by diving into theoretical situations that play out like a Hollywood script.

I want the former groups to be able to have guns, because in my personal experience, they've been the most responsible and are extremely strict. To them, a gun is either a tool or something they truly appreciate. Either way, they respect it. The latter see guns as something that gives them control, power, and when they wear it like a fashion accessory (and they will treat it like so), attention.

They're also the loudest and most obnoxious out of the gun owners. Thankfully guns are naturally loud, so you don't have to listen to them talk at the gun range. "Oh, I'm sorry. You were saying something really stupid which proved to me you're nothing but thug and dumbass? *bang* Aaaaaaw, still can't hear you."

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 11:48 pm

Raptor wrote:

• What business is it of any foreigner what we do over here? If he’s afraid of guns in this country then simply stay out. Last time I checked, bullets aren't capable of trans-oceanic flight.

As he said in his routine-

He came into the country legally, pays his taxes and maintains a positive contribution which gives him the right to say what he thinks while he's in America.

The first amendment gives him the right to say "the second amendment eats d*cks*" as he put it.

Unless you are a native American yourself, you don't really have the right to bemoan 'foreigners' in your country, in any shape or form.
Raptor wrote:
• Of course, he adds the tiresome bit about suicide and that we all get sad and subsequently shoot ourselves.

And its still a valid point. Killing yourself via other means requires more effort.

Raptor wrote:

• The second amendment as it applied to the militia during the federalist era and how it only pertains to musketry. Nothing new here that I haven’t already addressed sufficiently in past gunz-r-bad threads…..

Its still valid that if you can afford to buy guns on the black market in Australia or any other country then its unlikely you're an amateur criminal.

For some reason pro-gun people can't figure that part out in their heads.

My deviant art profile

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 2:47 am

this video was already posted once before and discussed, so why bring it up again. o.O probably going go the same way it did last time and like any other anti gun thread. should just have posted in the last one.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 2:56 am

A moron preaching to morons. My gun control challenge thread is still open, if anyone has a serious argument to make.

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2015, 3:07 am

There are a lot of reasons people have guns, but people who have guns just because it pisses non gun owners off is not a good reason. Those are the "morons" who create the problems. The ones who own and flaunt guns just to make a point. These are the 700 pound yahoos you see walking around places of business with a long gun hanging around their neck. Idjiots.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 3:07 am

thomas81 wrote:
Hunting is in many countries, even in big brother UK. The difference in America though you have military grade weapons with unnecessarilly high rates of fire available in everyday retailers. The popularity of hunting is not an argument for publically available assault rifles though which was the main thrust of the stand up routine above.

You can kill just as many people with a bolt-action hunting rifle as you can an AR-15. You can kill just as many people with a knife as an AR-15. Both of these have been done before. You can kill more people with poison, a bomb or plane than all before. A match can potentially kill the most, and you can buy a box of 500 anywhere.

Effectiveness is a poor argument.

And if you feel you can't own a firearm because you're afraid you'll kill yourself, then that's your choice. And this is implying that a firearm will be any easier than a painless drug OD (Benzo + booze), without the mess of a head shot.

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2015, 3:13 am

Dillogic wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

You can kill just as many people with a bolt-action hunting rifle as you can an AR-15. You can kill just as many people with a knife as an AR-15. Both of these have been done before. You can kill more people with poison, a bomb or plane than all before. A match can potentially kill the most, and you can buy a box of 500 anywhere.

Effectiveness is a poor argument.

And if you feel you can't own a firearm because you're afraid you'll kill yourself, then that's your choice. And this is implying that a firearm will be any easier than a painless drug OD (Benzo + booze), without the mess of a head shot.

Take it from someone who has attempted suicide by OD. It is not "painless", and the mess of a "head shot" is the farthest thing from a persons mind when they are preparing to pull that trigger.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 3:16 am

chagya wrote:
Take it from someone who has attempted suicide by OD. It is not "painless", and the mess of a "head shot" is the farthest thing from a persons mind when they are preparing to pull that trigger.

If you do it properly, it should be painless. Like putting a dog down--they feel nothing. Using the incorrect medications and doses is your fault, not the fault of the means. It's like those people who blow their faces off/apart with a shotgun--they messed up.

And did you know that women often shoot themselves in the chest instead of the head when using a firearm for suicide (look it up, it's true)? That's not going to be painless, and it's because of not wanting to mess up their heads.