What do you think of the level of education in Europe and wo

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 5:53 pm

What do you think of the level of education in Europe and in the world today

I am a Polish, my mom says she can be accused of Communist many bad things, but the level of education in the 60's to the 80's in Poland was much better than it is now,

I once watched an interview with a professor who said that under communism in Poland was not taught in schools of historical truth but it is the level of education sciences such as mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology was very high.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 6:13 pm

Probably not just in Poland.

Quote:
In the late 20th century, the proportion of young people attending university in the UK increased sharply, including many who previously would not have been considered to possess the appropriate scholastic aptitude. In 2003, the UK Minister for Universities, Margaret Hodge, criticised Mickey Mouse degrees as a negative consequence of universities dumbing down their courses to meet "the needs of the market": these are degrees conferred for studies in a field of endeavour "where the content is perhaps not as [intellectually] rigorous as one would expect, and where the degree, itself, may not have huge relevance in the labour market": thus, a university degree of slight intellectual substance, which the student earned by "simply stacking up numbers on Mickey Mouse courses, is not acceptable".[2][3]

A high school physics instructor, Wellington Grey, published an Internet petition in which he said: "I am a physics teacher. Or, at least, I used to be"; and complained that "[Mathematical] calculations – the very soul of physics – are absent from the new General Certificate of Secondary Education."[4] Among the examples of dumbing-down that he provided were: "Question: Why would radio stations broadcast digital signals, rather than analogue signals? Answer: Can be processed by computer/ipod" to "Question: Why must we develop renewable energy sources?" (a political question).

In Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling (1991, 2002), John Taylor Gatto presented speeches and essays, including "The Psychopathic School", his acceptance speech for the 1990 New York City Teacher of the Year award, and "The Seven-Lesson Schoolteacher", his acceptance speech upon being named as the New York State Teacher of the Year for 1991.[5] Gatto speculated:

Was it possible, I had been hired, not to enlarge children's power, but to diminish it? That seemed crazy, on the face of it, but slowly, I began to realize that the bells and confinement, the crazy sequences, the age-segregation, the lack of privacy, the constant surveillance, and all the rest of the national curriculum of schooling were designed exactly as if someone had set out to prevent children from learning how to think, and act, to coax them into addiction and dependent behavior.[5]

In examining the seven lessons of teaching, Gatto concluded that "all of these lessons are prime training for permanent underclasses, people deprived forever of finding the center of their own special genius." That "school is a twelve-year jail sentence, where bad habits are the only curriculum truly learned. I teach school, and win awards doing it. I should know
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbing_down#Education

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 3:40 am

Our great period, the Industrial Age, most people got four years of reading, writing, arithmetic. It was enough foundation that they continued not only learning, but produced new knowledge.

Those that got eight years had a broad knowledge of history, geography, materials production, trade, industrial processes, and this was before the electrical era.

Twelve years, High School turned out engineers, and had wood and metal shops that could produce prototypes of ideas.

Education was to teach how to run the world, develop it as it changed, and better the life of the student.

About a hundred years ago that changed to producing factory labor, who would show up on time, work in silence, do whatever task assigned, for ownership of ideas and the means of production had no use for innovation, that would make them obsolete.

Skilled craftsmen were replaced by interchangeable factory hands. People were meat machines to be used by industry, owned by stockholders, and controlled by bankers.

Even worker rights, unions, were met by the government sending in the National Guard.

The product of all the people now was controlled by the few. Education was directed at control, limited, narrowed, where only a partial knowledge was allowed.

Mandatory education was not for the good of the people, it was to break children to obeying and never growing up.

It was the same method used on domestic livestock. Once broken to harness, they will never be free.

When a university educated class recently became a danger, they were put in debt servitude to get an education.

Wages have been declining for forty years, while industry grew, profits rose, and wealth flowed to a very small group of investors. They own government that has further reduced education to social conditioning, undermining social roles, and controlling elections.

A very small group has been out to enslave everyone, and to steal the product of their labor.

That is why a solid base to learn from has been removed from our education system. A clear overview, the people would take back the wealth they produced, and spend it on their children.

Instead it goes to build factories in China, where the better paying jobs are sent, leaving us in debt servitude.

It also goes to fund wars to expand the wealth of the investors, at the cost of our taxes and blood.

America, the most productive nation ever, is in debt for seventeen trillion dollars. We are paying interest on the investors gains. We bailed out Wall Street when they shorted then crashed the market, we the people covered those shorts.

Now we pay to murder people in Syria, Ukraine, because the investors want gas pipelines, and control of the world.

Education is dangerous.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Feb 2015, 5:41 am

guzzle wrote:
Probably not just in Poland.

Quote:
In the late 20th century, the proportion of young people attending university in the UK increased sharply, including many who previously would not have been considered to possess the appropriate scholastic aptitude. In 2003, the UK Minister for Universities, Margaret Hodge, criticised Mickey Mouse degrees as a negative consequence of universities dumbing down their courses to meet "the needs of the market": these are degrees conferred for studies in a field of endeavour "where the content is perhaps not as [intellectually] rigorous as one would expect, and where the degree, itself, may not have huge relevance in the labour market": thus, a university degree of slight intellectual substance, which the student earned by "simply stacking up numbers on Mickey Mouse courses, is not acceptable".[2][3]

A high school physics instructor, Wellington Grey, published an Internet petition in which he said: "I am a physics teacher. Or, at least, I used to be"; and complained that "[Mathematical] calculations – the very soul of physics – are absent from the new General Certificate of Secondary Education."[4] Among the examples of dumbing-down that he provided were: "Question: Why would radio stations broadcast digital signals, rather than analogue signals? Answer: Can be processed by computer/ipod" to "Question: Why must we develop renewable energy sources?" (a political question).

Creating new degrees does not magically make the old ones less valuable... a typical zoology degree now covers in one lecture what would previously have been explained in a whole module. Traditional degrees are broadly more rigorous than ever, because there's much more to teach.

I took the GCSE that Mr Grey complains about, and there's plenty of mathematics in it... it seems he was only looking at the "regular" GCSE, to be studied in one year, and not the "Additional" one, to be studied the next. Naturally, if you only look at one year's study and presume it covers two years then you're going to see a "dumbing down".