Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

slothbear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Mar 2015, 1:17 am

So I was wondering if walking/power walking/jogging for 30-40 mins a day is enough to lose weight (along with not eating so much crap and eating more healthy foods)?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 7:46 am

I think people with slow metabolism won't lose weight by doing that amount/kind of exercise and by eating rather healthy foods. Someone who's already chubby/fat most likely has slow metabolism and needs more exercise than an average person does in order to lose weight. I have seen such people. They are very health-conscious, eat healthily and do regular exercise, but are still chubby/fat. I think people like that need to do more exercise than what you mentioned and eat very selectively.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 9:29 pm

I'm chubby/fat and with just eating less alone I've lost like 15 pounds. back when i combined with with walking I lost 40 pounds. I use a calorie tracking app and try to keep under 2080 calories a day. this helps me lose 1.5 pounds a week. once I get a gym membership and start walking on a treadmill hour a day I expect to lose it faster probably more if i do weights. my friend has a fast metabolism, he can do nothing and eat twice as much as me(back when i ate alot) and he never gained weight. so to op. if you burn more calories then you intake then it should help you lose weight. I imagine eating healthier would help me even more, but i can't afford it

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 9:37 pm

I would almost guarantee it if you increase the walking/jogging to an hour a day. That's at least three miles.

How fast do you walk/jog?

alex
Developer
Developer

03 Mar 2015, 5:43 pm

If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Walking for 30 minutes could help but I doubt it would create a noticeable change if you aren't also adjusting your diet.

slothbear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Mar 2015, 10:06 pm

Well I go on a treadmill. Walking I do 2.9, Power-walking I do 3.5 and Jogging I do 4.5 or 5.0. I still eat starch-but I'm trying to eat healthier in that regard (rice cakes, popcorn (light butter), noodles in Progresso light chicken noodle soup, and maybe one peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) a day. No pop (soda for everyone else)/juice or sugar/cream in my coffee but when I drink tea I do put sugar in. Sometimes for energy before I jog I'll have a Mt Dew Kickstart with 1/2 the caffeine of coffee and only 85 calories. I've been trying to snack on healthy stuff and not just "better" starches too like pickles and olives. And I'm suprised to see Alex comment on my thread! I feel special! :D

Writergirl53
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2015, 11:59 pm

I think it depends on your age and metabolism. The younger you are, the more easily you can loose weight, (though it's far from impossible for somebody who is a bit older, too). What I've also noticed is that I have what I like to call a fluctuation zone, meaning that within a certain amount of weight loss, it drops off very easily and effortlessly, but after this initial weight is lost, it is sometimes more difficult to keep losing weight.

Ram0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Mar 2015, 12:19 am

I did lose a lot of weight by walking 8km everyday while eating only healthy food.
that's for sure more than half an hour but it was enough for me.

NEOoooo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2015, 10:58 pm

I never tried to lose weight,cause I keep on a diet everyday !There is no need to lose weight on purpose!

DavidTaylor
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2015, 9:36 am

Well, there are dozens of effective ways, tips and suggestions to lose weight. If you are in eager need of shaping your body then you should need to refer yourself at expert fitness forums. You don't need to just rush into heavy exercises and machines. Start with fat burning foods at first, then gradually proceed to the actual procedure.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 9:42 am

Quote:
So I was wondering if walking/power walking/jogging for 30-40 mins a day is enough to lose weight (along with not eating so much crap and eating more healthy foods)?

It can be for some people. I think ideally you'd want to mix some weights in there though.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 9:59 am

slothbear wrote:
Well I go on a treadmill. Walking I do 2.9, Power-walking I do 3.5 and Jogging I do 4.5 or 5.0. I still eat starch-but I'm trying to eat healthier in that regard (rice cakes, popcorn (light butter), noodles in Progresso light chicken noodle soup, and maybe one peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) a day. No pop (soda for everyone else)/juice or sugar/cream in my coffee but when I drink tea I do put sugar in. Sometimes for energy before I jog I'll have a Mt Dew Kickstart with 1/2 the caffeine of coffee and only 85 calories. I've been trying to snack on healthy stuff and not just "better" starches too like pickles and olives. And I'm suprised to see Alex comment on my thread! I feel special! :D

It sounds like you are eating too much carbohydrates and processed food. I think you would benefit from eating more vegetables, brown rice and more lean protein like fish and chicken.Stay away from sugar, added sugar is the worst. Many people think they are eating no sugar because they are not adding it, they forget how much is hidden in their food. Try cooking as much from scratch as possible, it is the healthiest. Many people are not aware of how many calories they are eating, start writing down what you eat can be helpful as long as you don’t overdo it. Walking is very good for your health but it alone will not make you lose weight. The most important is what you eat and that you don’t overindulge.