Anybody else obsess about Northern Exposure?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 4:21 pm

Anybody else really into Northern Exposure? I have a pretty strong obsession with season 4, episode 21, The Big Feast. I'm hoping they rerelease the entire series with the original music. Apparently that is very expensive because of all the music licensing fees that would be involved. If you're a fan please share some of your favorite episodes and/or favorite characters.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 12:43 am

Liked the show when it first ran.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 11:39 am

I wish there was more programming like it today. I don't run across too many people who remember the series or watched it on a regular basis. I've heard Chris in the Morning's (John Corbett) voice on a lot of commercials recently.

Pretty sure Adam (Adam Arkin) was an aspie or aspie cousin.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm

I used to watch it religiously when it first ran. I admittedly lost interest when Fleischman left, and was replaced by the more copacetic new doctor and his wife, losing the "stranger in a strange land" theme that had made the show work.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 10:55 pm

The show did start to fizzle out when Dr. Capra came on the scene. I liked Paul Provenza but his character didn't have the same appeal as Fleischmann. The Brick has got to be the coziest bar/restaurant (ever imagined) on the planet.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 11:25 pm

Boo Radley wrote:
The show did start to fizzle out when Dr. Capra came on the scene. I liked Paul Provenza but his character didn't have the same appeal as Fleischmann. The Brick has got to be the coziest bar/restaurant (ever imagined) on the planet.

Incidentally, Northern Exposure had been filmed in the town of Roslyn, in my home state of Washington. The bar which stood in for the "Brick" is renowned as the longest operating bar in the American west. Incidentally, back in old west times, some of Butch Cassidy's associates (namely Matt Warner and the McCarty Brothers) had robbed the bank in Roslyn.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 11:33 pm

I watched that show a few times when it was one, mainly because my brother got me. I don't see why they wouldn't re-release it since there seems to be some weird trend going on TV with Alaska right now. :)

What, it wasn't filmed in Alaska? Guess I shouldn't be too surprised, a lot of shows and movies aren't filmed at the places they're supposed to be.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 11:39 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I watched that show a few times when it was one, mainly because my brother got me. I don't see why they wouldn't re-release it since there seems to be some weird trend going on TV with Alaska right now. :)

What, it wasn't filmed in Alaska? Guess I shouldn't be too surprised, a lot of shows and movies aren't filmed at the places they're supposed to be.

Nope, filmed in Washington - - and Hollywood.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 11:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Boo Radley wrote:

Incidentally, Northern Exposure had been filmed in the town of Roslyn, in my home state of Washington. The bar which stood in for the "Brick" is renowned as the longest operating bar in the American west. Incidentally, back in old west times, some of Butch Cassidy's associates (namely Matt Warner and the McCarty Brothers) had robbed the bank in Roslyn.

Interesting about Butch Cassidy and the Brick! I did not know that. I do want to make a road trip to Roslyn. That's on my bucket list.

Lostonearth, I hope you're right about the re-release. A&E had it in syndication some time back and I've heard that it was on Canadian television fairly recently. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 11:51 pm

Boo Radley wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Boo Radley wrote:

Interesting about Butch Cassidy and the Brick! I did not know that. I do want to make a road trip to Roslyn. That's on my bucket list.

Lostonearth, I hope you're right about the re-release. A&E had it in syndication some time back and I've heard that it was on Canadian television fairly recently. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, as I said, some of Butch's associates. There isn't any evidence Butch had committed any crimes in Washington, but some of his friends did

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2015, 3:55 am

I don't obsess about the show but I do wish Netflix would carry the complete series. It was an excellent show.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 12:48 pm

chagya wrote:
I don't obsess about the show but I do wish Netflix would carry the complete series. It was an excellent show.

Agreed. It would be great to have it streaming on Netflix (with the original music). I hope that happens soon.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2016, 3:32 pm

I have been missing that show for over 20 years. I thought I was the only one who ever watched it. Whenever I reference it, nobody knows what I'm talking about. Until I read this post, I've heard of nobody else who even knew of the existence of the show. I'm so relieved. I would love for it to be on Netflix also. In fact, I periodically search for it just in case.

Lonarabaran
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2016, 9:28 pm

Love that show! Have most the seasons on DVD and agree with the post that said things fizzled out and the ending was not that good. The big feast episode is my favotite too.