Autism Is Not An Excuse To Do Nothing

Page 1 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:00 pm

This is a piece from a New Zealand ASD woman's blog: A Stranger in Godzone: "Autism is not an excuse to do nothing".

I am posting it for several reasons:

1) I agree with it
2) Some younger auties here write that any life effort is a waste of time because they are autistics and there is nothing good about it. I disagree with this.
3) Some older auties believe that very late diagnosis is an unqualified tragedy and there is nothing good about it, it's just a further complication. I also disagree with this.

These extremist positions have bothered me every time I see them. So I hope the article provides some counterweighting.

http://strangeringodzone.blogspot.co.nz ... thing.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:22 pm

Not sure where the author sees this trend of particularly young people with autism....entirely giving up on life and sitting back and doing nothing all, putting no effort into anything difficult for them ect. Unless she is equating not having a job or being in school to that...in which case I find it to be an inaccurate picture of what might go on in the life of someone who's currently not doing either of those things for whatever reason. I was not diagnosed as a child, and was not dragged from therapist to therapist and still wondered what was wrong with me, I didn't really think 'bad luck' could explain why no matter how many times i moved(which seemed a lot, for a while seemed we moved every year but every year I ended up enduring an abnormal amount of bullying and ostracism...and figured it couldn't be for no reason.

I tried working during highschool and got fired because I could not keep up, so then just focused more on studying and planning for college because surely, if I could just get a degree the job would certainly follow based on skill in a specific area...it wouldn't matter if I was terrible at forming connections, initiating interactions ect because that would make up for it. So I tried that route as well and really burnt myself out....tried working again, and failed so tried community college with lesser hours/classes than regular college still couldn't handle the stress, so now I'm on SSI. I go to therapy and while I think it can have some benefit it can be stressfull due to some of the things we have to discuss. I do my best to clean up after myself, I do my own laundry, I try and help family/friends with things I can help with and I do get out of the house and try to interact and I have interests I pursue.

I agree aspergers and its co-morbids are not an 'excuse to do nothing' but not sure me and the author of this would agree on what 'nothing' means...I do not feel I am limiting myself from my full potential, the SSI does not have to last forever perhaps I'll end up stable enough to figure out some sort of employment, but I see no reason why disability income is reason to literally do nothing. I mean I could see someone maybe being worried about spending money on stuff outside of very basic needs, but instead of listening to people on the internet they should read their packet, it explicitly states you're supposed to spend it on hobbies/activities you enjoy as well once you cover your expenses not in those exact words but same deal....even if someone is deemed unfit to have the money go directly to them whoever is in charge of their finances has to budget for recreational activties/hobbies with what is left over from needs(at least they are supposed to unfortunately some disabled people who have even more difficulties functioning than me have greedy parents who would be guilty of fraud if caught who end up spending most of the money on themselves even to the extent of neglecting the disabled persons needs)

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:23 pm

The number 2 question I would agree with, but not because autism is an excuse. but for a more of a philosophical reason. that said, I tent to look at the big picture of life and find myself asking. What is the meaning of life? What good are we doing here, and if I do something, what am I accomplishing in life?

I don't mean to spark-off a religious debate. but this passage in the bible had me asking a lot of question about life in general.

Treasures in Heaven
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. " Matthew 6:19-21 NIV

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Some older people also use retirement as a reason to do nothing, though they are quite often most discontented. Though retired I am very active in animal welfare, mentoring women who are in refuge after being in abusive relationships, I propagate and grow edible plants, offer peer support to people with social anxiety, advocate for autism issues.. these keep me occupied, engaged and interested. It's not all about earning a wage - that's too narrow a definition.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

I'm a late-diagnosed but I don't see it as a "tragedy," not now that I know more about it. It was only in my initial shock many years ago that I felt anything "tragic" until I learned better.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:52 pm

The article though does make the point that an early diagnosis of autism could be a bad thing if it causes the child to give up on life and not want to try and succeed in the world. That would obviously depend on how the diagnosis is received, what follow up the child receives from the clinical psychologist, how the parents perceive the news and what the parents do to encourage their child to move on from the diagnosis and face the challages ahead at school and social activities. The author makes the point that you encounter road blocks in life. She also mentioned that she suffered from chronic illness. Each setback you just have to move forward. She's not saying that failure is a bad thing or not succeeding in what you're trying to achieve is a bad thing. Only giving up and not trying is a bad thing.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:00 pm

It seems to me that the article is one long rant. If this lady wasn't totally nuts I'd have finished reading it...

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm

Why always a shot at needlecraft! Fabric is a legitimate media! I once got through a difficult time by knitting a 63 square afghan. Each square was a different stitch. Taught me dexterity.

^ This quilt is an example of fabric art. I want to learn how to quilt for my next project.

Anyway, I found the article to be glib and contradictory. On the one hand she gets it, on the other she doesn't. It's superficial.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm

Hear hear!

I agree w/ the OP & the author of that post.

Pre (self) diagnosis I had already done a lot of things many on these forums consider themselves incapable of doing due to their diagnosis. Once I learned a lot more about myself, as well as how to successfully treat my symptoms over the last couple years or so, I've enabled myself to do MORE - not less - regardless of my diagnosis/es. I've managed to minimize symptoms as well as learn many work-arounds for others that have improved my ability to get out there and do things in work, life, sports etc vs. interpreting my diagnosis as a hinderance & excuse not to try to do anything. It's simply helped me to refine what it is I need to do & how I need to go about it in order to accomplish what I want to.

I'm educated (130.5 credits in 2 years, graduating from a VERY tough school at age 19 + other studies since). I work (in an extremely social environment at the moment). I'm a bit of a part time entrepreneur (renovation contractor/subcontractor, online sales) & will be more so as time progresses and I shift career gears into my long term plans. I save & invest (doing my own analysis & making my own decisions). I participate in "extreme" sports (kiteboarding!). I'm active & fit. I did the Tough Mudder in Whistler & may do it again this year. I was (successfully) my own legal representation for a year dealing with a Human Rights Tribunal situation. I've held many different jobs & titles with varying degrees of success, learning a lot along the way. I've been in debt, bankrupt, and now further in the black than ever. I do a little volunteer/charitable work here and there. I interact with friends/family. I'm an uncle and a God father a few times over. I love & am loved by others. I create/design/engineer things here and there. I've learned a lot about some specific sciences & other special interests. I read & learn. I teach some things here and there. I've written a bit in the past (and may do more of that in the future). I help others with various things. I've built everything from spreadsheets to warehouses. I utilize my ASD traits to problem solve in ways that aren't intuitive for NT's. I interact with others OK, and in some ways better than NT's - as I have the AS ability to interact with very wealthy powerful NT people as PEOPLE vs. being fearful of them - which is what I think these NT's find refreshing and likeable about me. I've met several very famous people. I can do anything - I only need two things; the resources & the process.

I'm one to embrace the "Never ever ever ever EVER give up!" mentality & truly believe that "Nothing worth doing is easy!" & the biggest thing I took away from the TED-X Vancouver seminar was to "Live a life's story worth telling,".. and I fully intend to! I have goals that are MUCH bigger than myself, than anything I've achieved to date, and day by day, bit by bit, I work towards them. I believe that my neurological makeup is what it is for a reason.. and that it's given me the gift of some ideas & ideals I have, and also the ability to figure myself out in order to enable myself to work towards realizing these goals. It can be a PITA at times, especially a few years ago when symptoms were extremely strong.. but overall, now I view my ASD traits as more positive than negative as they enable me to think & feel and see differently than others that allow me to do things others cannot. I can use my one track mind to focus on physical & mental health as well as various other objectives, utilizing my penchant for routines to my advantage. ASD is a part of me whether I like or or not - it is what it is - so may as well use it to my advantage to the fullest extent I can vs. use it as an excuse not to try and do things I want to.

Some may interpret my post as bragging or arrogance. I'd like to point out that while you may perceive that from it, I do not. It simply is what it is & is my factual perception of myself, my experiences, my achievements, my attitude & future goals. Hopefully some find it inspiring and it flips a switch in your head that sets you off on working towards your own goals, whatever they may be.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 05 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:15 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Why always a shot at needlecraft! Fabric is a legitimate media! I once got through a difficult time by knitting a 63 square afghan. Each square was a different stitch. Taught me dexterity.

Anyway, I found the article to be glib and contradictory. On the one hand she gets it, on the other she doesn't. It's superficial.

It wasn't so much a shot at needlecraft as it was at spending all of your time on a recreational special interest vs. learning, growing, changing, improving, working, earning, setting & achieving goals etc. Needlecraft just so happened to be the subject matter the author used as an example, as is evidenced by this quote:

Quote:
Because we are all capable of so much more than just sitting around doing needlepoint and feeling sorry for ourselves. (I have no special beef against needlepoint, just that if that’s all you’re doing, it’s not much of a life.)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:27 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
It seems to me that the article is one long rant. If this lady wasn't totally nuts I'd have finished reading it...

And your reasons for making this ad hominem slur are?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:31 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

It wasn't so much a shot at needlecraft as it was at spending all of your time on a recreational special interest vs. learning, growing, changing, improving, working, earning, setting & achieving goals etc. Needlecraft just so happened to be the subject matter the author used as an example, as is evidenced by this quote:

I don't understand why needlecraft is not included in your list of "learning, growing, etc."
Why the bias against it? And why is needlepoint being linked with sadness? Also, there are guilds that get together, so you could do it socially. But what's so wrong with working on your own?

Quote:
Because we are all capable of so much more than just sitting around doing needlepoint and feeling sorry for ourselves. (I have no special beef against needlepoint, just that if that’s all you’re doing, it’s not much of a life.)

Yes, this is the quote where I got impulse to slap her. Who is she to judge the values of people's activities.

I'm glad you are doing things that make you happy. But there is no way for you to know the value something to someone else.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:34 pm

B19 wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:

She said bad stuff about our master race!

I like the article.
There's nothing wrong with learning your limitations, but I do think there is something wrong with deciding your limitations without even testing them. I have seen people here with the attitude that because they have a disability, that means they're absolutely useless, so they shouldn't even try. Then they wonder why they never get anywhere.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

I'll argue that many of us on the spectrum might actually do better in life we were to fully develop a skill like needlecraft early on in life. A difficult piece requires planning and dedication to finish--skills that usually need to be learned. Once we have such skills, it provides a strong foundation--confidence that we can learn other skills based on the fact that I've already done something that most of my "peers" cannot.

Instead, it seems to me, that parents work very hard to teach their kids to be normal--kids spend all their time trying to patch up their weak areas. Logically, this means they may not have enough time develop the confidence older Aspies got by developing their special interests. Nor is working hard to be "almost normal" much of a confidence builder.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:37 pm

androbot01 wrote:

^ This quilt is an example of fabric art. I want to learn how to quilt for my next project.

I think this quilt is an exquisite example of creativity that is on a top professional level of expertise. Done by a professional artist? I'm not minimising that, I really admire such a superb accomplishment as a work of art for others to enjoy for years and years to come, as well as a financially viable talent. Whatever you do with heart and soul matters, embroidery, whatever - it's the commitment to be the best you can be that counts IMO.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:38 pm

B19 wrote:

She lumps all autistics into one big ball as if we are all the same then proclaims we all gave up on life because of our diagnoses, ridiculous and utter crap. She also compares her experience with autism to everyone else's as if she's an authority on the subject, which she clearly isn't.

Like I said it's one long rant not worthy of debate nor anyone's attention.

Not to be mean or anything. It's just my opinion which is no more valid than her's though mine might be slightly more sane. :P