Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 1:13 am

I love the quote from Marcus Garvey:

“We are going to emancipate ourselves from mental slavery because whilst others might free the body, none but ourselves can free the mind. Mind is your only ruler, sovereign. The man who is not able to develop and use his mind is bound to be the slave of the other man who uses his mind….”

I think he is right about the mind being free and most have heard Redemption Song by Bob Marley who is often credited with the quote but it is in fact Marcus Garvey, the Jamaican activist who inspired the song.

So what do you think? Is mind the only thing that is truly, really free? Or, is it only as free as our brain matter allows, whatever structures in our brains allow for this sense of freedom in our minds?

What Garvey had in mind was this sense of truimph and ability through the use of mind, confidence and acquiring the necessary education, mindfulness and a certain mentality that allows one to succeed in life. Triumph over circumstance.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 2:45 am

the small cavity inside your skull is of course to you, freer than any other space.

if there is a physical upper limit to what one can think, or what amount of memories can be stored in the brain, it would be very difficult to reach today. but probably not impossible.

when i was more depressed, i felt like could just not wrangle with my own mind no matter what i did. i'm better now, but still my "rational mind" sometimes finds itself arguing with my "emotional mind" and vice versa. to me a free mind is having those separate "minds" (and what other "minds" one can have) in balance and agreement. and controlled by yourself.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CivMaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2015, 5:31 pm

you know there are drugs which inhibit your capability to think?
so in which way is the mind free? it is easy to chain it, because the damned brain ist the socalled mind.
it is part of your body, totally limited by physics

f9
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Mar 2015, 5:38 pm

mind is definitely the most difficult one to control ...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 6:37 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
the small cavity inside your skull is of course to you, freer than any other space.

if there is a physical upper limit to what one can think, or what amount of memories can be stored in the brain, it would be very difficult to reach today. but probably not impossible.

when i was more depressed, i felt like could just not wrangle with my own mind no matter what i did. i'm better now, but still my "rational mind" sometimes finds itself arguing with my "emotional mind" and vice versa. to me a free mind is having those separate "minds" (and what other "minds" one can have) in balance and agreement. and controlled by yourself.

I feel like my mind is freer depending on the circumstance but I would love to have in my possession total mindfulness in any situation. That would be my ultimate goal.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 6:52 pm

die Gedanken sind frei. wer kann sie erraten?

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2015, 12:42 am

The mind is not free as we do not have complete control over it. For example, do you have control over the bacteria in the gut that sends neurotransmitters to the brain? No, thus, you do not have control your mind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 3:09 am

If a person can regulate their emotions, integrate their senses, increase their focus and short term working memory through the art of physical intelligence and bio-feedback; even controlling their brain waves, neurochemicals, and neurohormones they have affected and effected the ART OF HUMAN RELATIVE FREE WILL.

THE KEY HERE IS, IT IS A NUANCED ART THAT IS NOT VERBALLY achievable, alone, as a truly lasting state of mastery of mind and body balance.

THAT simply blows some folks away, as they do not even know what the hell directing their mind and body balance is without verbal instruction.

I am free as hell, and can do whatever I like, fearlessly that most people literally cannot imagine being fearless enough to do, and yeah, it's FULLY DOCUMENTED TOO, FOR IRREFUTABLE PROOF.

AND THE ONLY REASON I can do it, IS, I have mastered the ART OF HUMAN RELATIVE FREE WILL.

THE STUFF THAT SCHOOL, AND SCIENCE, OVERALL, DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE FOR, except for studies of Yogi Monks in the Mountains who can steam heat off of robes in icy pools of water, and who CAN UNDER EEG BRAIN MEASURE, PER SCIENTIFIC METHOD, CONTROL THEIR BRAIN WAVES.

The ONLY REAL difference between me and them is, I do not have be atop an isolated mountain retreat to do it.

"I come down from the MOUNTAIN", AND IN MY CASE IT IS my shut-in bedroom for 5 long years, of literal human hell.

I can do IT NOW, in front of 200 people, dancing like a professional athlete at age 54, simply CAUSE, I WILL TO DO IT, WITH RELATIVE HUMAN FREE WILL AKA MASTERY OF MY MIND and body in balance, WITH THE i that underlies the I of ME.

And sure it takes me 53 years, to stay there now, for a little over 18 months but sweet success in TRUE HUMAN AWAKENING AND ENLIGHTENMENT IN MIND AND BODY BALANCE, HAS NO EQUAL IN THE MATERIAL WORLD OF REWARDS.

AND THIS IS precisely what the so-called Gurus, including the MYSTIC REPORTS OF JESUS ARE TALKING ABOUT, AS HUMAN ENLIGHTENMENT IN THE WISDOM OF TRUTH THAT IS MOSTLY ART, WITH A LITTLE SCIENCE, MIXED IN, if one cares to do that too.

But nah, science or school, are NEVER REQUIRED TOOLS, for those who seek within, and find the answers with an open human mind and body in balance, AKA ANIMAL HOMEOSTASIS.

MOST ALL HUMAN DISEASE AND DISORDER IS ORIGINATED BY STRESS.

I HAVE NO NEGATIVE STRESS; THEREFORE, THE 19 MEDICAL disorders I AM diagnosed with FOR 5 LONG YEARS that doctors and science say, could never be recovered from for HEALTH AND WELL BEING, no longer exist, for me, as true healing is mastery of the human mind and body in balance, FOR THOSE WHO ACHIEVE THIS.

But the issue is, there is never any TRUE LASTING freedom in mind without mind AND BODY BALANCE, AND THAT WILL NEVER EVER COME FROM SITTING STILL ALONE, AS LIFE REQUIRES MOVEMENT, AND TO BE IN THIS STATE OF MIND ALWAYS, REQUIRES A PRACTICE OF ART IN MOVEMENT TO ACHIEVE THIS state of mastery over mind and body, all the time now.

The fact of the matter is, some people have high levels of relative human free will, and some people have very low levels.

The ones that don't, have no reference point for even the existence of IT.

It's like being color blind, or blind, period.

No one, and I do mean, no one, lives in a perception of a same Universe.

Anyone who believes they do, is TRULY living a myth.

But I can prove it, in documented and irrefutable evidence in my case, with never ever REAL refutation from anyone else.

And that's a pretty nice achievement, relatively speaking, on the Internet, where myths usually rule and REAL HUMAN FACTS, OR EVEN present day FACES, ARE RARELY PRESENTED IN THE LAND OF FEAR, INSTEAD OF true FLESH AND BLOOD FEARLESSNESS THAT can only come from mastery over mind and body, in balance.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

slave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 1:25 am

cathylynn wrote:
die Gedanken sind frei. wer kann sie erraten?

is that German?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 4:30 pm

yes.

"thoughts are free, who can guess them?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gedanken_sind_frei

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Mari3l
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2015, 4:35 pm

This is quite vague. Free from what? And why suppose that the "mind" (an immaterial entity, as opposed to the brain) even exists?

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

There's very old Chinese thinking pointing out that the state of being a human is by its very nature unfree. Somewhere in the I Ching.

"Free your ass and your mind will follow" - George Clinton. I like that :D :D

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm

Alexanderplatz wrote:
There's very old Chinese thinking pointing out that the state of being a human is by its very nature unfree. Somewhere in the I Ching.

"Free your ass and your mind will follow" - George Clinton. I like that :D :D

That's about correct.

Most people do no not understand that a body in balance is equal to a mind in balance.

The body leads the mind. That part will never change.

And that part IS physical intelligence that even science now shows, when done creatively without an instruction book, allows greater emotional regulation, sensory integration, and cognitive executive functioning (including focus and short term working memory).

Sounding familiar yet.

It should but it doesn't for many people who never create the much greater intelligence of human physical intelligence that is almost sole (soul) responsible for relative free will in mind and body balance that is as good as free gets for human being, per this potential of human relative free will, practiced like this, as lifelong art of physical intelligence.

Eastern philosophies have this correct in the arts of Yoga and Martial ARTS, wHere balance is both the means and the end to inner and outer peace, as above so below, all around human being TRUE.

Is it any wonder that 'Easter n', without an N, is Easter for rebirth of human in mind and body balance.

Wester is just that Wester, and noT much else, unless one adds an N to Hell.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm

One thing that really really bothers me is the extent to which our personalities (I mean NTs as well) could be the result of neurons firing and nothing else.

Having seen personality change in ill people, and having read about the same thing in serious head injury cases, I suspect that the basis of some of the things we hold dear might be purely physical.

I reject Philosophies based on that idea though (Biological Reductionism).

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 6:28 pm

Alexanderplatz wrote:
One thing that really really bothers me is the extent to which our personalities (I mean NTs as well) could be the result of neurons firing and nothing else.

Having seen personality change in ill people, and having read about the same thing in serious head injury cases, I suspect that the basis of some of the things we hold dear might be purely physical.

I reject Philosophies based on that idea though (Biological Reductionism).

YES!

i reject Philosophies based
on Biological Reductionism.

(Almost sounds Catholic)

DeviliveD deTails of tREes.

GoD EvilivE GOD in FORESt

liKe MIN
or PAN.

AnD i for one am
more likE MIN
or PEtER
PAN.

Yes.. i am gre@er than
tHe sum of my neurons alone.
i for one am aLLONe LIKE PETER
PAN.

EVen algorithms cannot detErmIne if i am huMan or not.

The GoOgle AlgoriThm ofTen marks me as

SPAM
GREEN HAM
SPAM.

IT'S ALL GOOD TO ME.

IF i CAN GO
unnoticed
as human
by Algorithms..
i am perfecting
practice iN
ART of
some
thInG

eLse

tHat eveN
computers
cAnnoT
kNow
but hUmans
cAn underSTand
alonE.

IT's not even code.

it'S

heArt spelLed
HEART.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 9:25 pm

I saw a television documentary precisely about physical activity in the brain and emotion, recording electrical impulses in the brain and reading off which parts of the brain were operating in which feeling.

Even though the documentary was all about a very physicalist (Materialist or Biological Reductionist) approach, it ended with stating that complex emotions cause a symphony of neurological activity which cannot be traced with our present technology, things like listening to Classical music, or feeling Love create these broad activites in the brain, which importantly involve a lot of cross talk and interplay between the different brain areas.

The documentary conveyed the idea that these complexities will never be understood, and that this is a good thing.