Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 2:22 pm

Trying to get rolling with this. Anyone have any opinions or experience to share?

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 5:24 am

It's a fairly old game that's now available on Steam. It's similar to Age of Empires and older versions of Civilization, but it's still pretty good IMO. The fact that it's an older game means that matches are quick to set up and play. I still play it every now and then, but only on moderate difficulty. Usually I build around 3 or 4 cities while gradually building up an invasion force, which I let loose around the Industrial Era (or earlier, circumstances permitting) with early aircraft. Of course, focus on resource gathering early. Other than that, I use different tactics in each match.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 9:09 am

^^I picked it up on cd out of a bargain bin a couple of years ago and only got around to learning it recently. Thanks for your commentary; my copy came without a manual and I couldn't really find a good guide.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 4:08 pm

Now that you mention it, I remember the tutorials being easy enough, but getting past Easy level took me a long time. I'm surprised the physical box game didn't come with an instruction manual. I did get the hang of it eventually, and now I win more games than lose.

One thing that helps is being able to give commands while the game is paused. This makes it much, much easier (too easy, IMO). You can also queue commands using SHIFT (giving a unit one command, and then holding SHIFT before giving them a second one to do immediately after the first one).

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 7:51 pm

^^Cool. This is pretty much what happened to my first game playing on easy:

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 1:27 am

Lol, reminds me of some of my first games. I hope you were the guys on horseback; if not then I'm sure you'll pick it up over time.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 3:37 pm

Murihiku wrote:
Lol, reminds me of some of my first games. I hope you were the guys on horseback;

I've got some bad news for you; I was totally crushed. When that first scout came through my territory, I thought we would be trading :(