Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

i was just reading up a bit on oxytocin on wikipedia, on another topic, and found this interesting tidbit:

"Oxytocin may play a role in autism and may be an effective treatment for autism's repetitive and affiliative behaviors.[32] Oxytocin treatments also resulted in an increased retention of affective speech in adults with autism.[33] Two related studies in adults, in 2003 and 2007, found oxytocin decreased repetitive behaviors and improved interpretation of emotions. More recently, intranasal administration of oxytocin was found to increase emotion recognition in children as young as 12 who are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders.[34] Oxytocin has also been implicated in the etiology of autism, with one report suggesting autism is correlated with genomic deletion of the gene containing the oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR). Studies involving Caucasian and Finnish samples and Chinese Han families provide support for the relationship of OXTR with autism.[33][35] Autism may also be associated with an aberrant methylation of OXTR.[33] After treatment with inhaled oxytocin, autistic patients exhibit more appropriate social behavior.[36] While this research suggests some promise, further clinical trials of oxytocin are required to demonstrate potential benefit and side effects in the treatment of autism. As such, researchers do not recommend use of oxytocin as a treatment for autism outside of clinical trials.[37]"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin#P ... al_effects)

while i'm not necessarily bent on "treating" my AS, i did find this rather fascinating and thought i would share.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

slave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm

Opi wrote:
i was just reading up a bit on oxytocin on wikipedia, on another topic, and found this interesting tidbit:

"Oxytocin may play a role in autism and may be an effective treatment for autism's repetitive and affiliative behaviors.[32] Oxytocin treatments also resulted in an increased retention of affective speech in adults with autism.[33] Two related studies in adults, in 2003 and 2007, found oxytocin decreased repetitive behaviors and improved interpretation of emotions. More recently, intranasal administration of oxytocin was found to increase emotion recognition in children as young as 12 who are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders.[34] Oxytocin has also been implicated in the etiology of autism, with one report suggesting autism is correlated with genomic deletion of the gene containing the oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR). Studies involving Caucasian and Finnish samples and Chinese Han families provide support for the relationship of OXTR with autism.[33][35] Autism may also be associated with an aberrant methylation of OXTR.[33] After treatment with inhaled oxytocin, autistic patients exhibit more appropriate social behavior.[36] While this research suggests some promise, further clinical trials of oxytocin are required to demonstrate potential benefit and side effects in the treatment of autism. As such, researchers do not recommend use of oxytocin as a treatment for autism outside of clinical trials.[37]"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin#P ... al_effects)

while i'm not necessarily bent on "treating" my AS, i did find this rather fascinating and thought i would share.

many will want this if efficacy is demonstrated

many thanks!

CC_Blossom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Mar 2015, 2:10 am

I've always wondered what extra oxytocin could do to me.

F10ona1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2015, 3:57 am

I like the idea behind using oxytocin as a treatment.
But there are associated problems with using artificial hormone therapy, I think recent research showed a link between HRT and cancer.
There are some interesting studies about meditation on compassion and the natural production of oxytocin. I'll see if I can find a link if you're interested.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 9:36 am

I have long believed that my natural oxytocin levels rise when I'm in the company of animals; I experience the "bonding" and love-and-affection feelings with them, feelings that oxytocin is responsible for.

I also notice that when I'm in the company of animals I feel soothed, more relaxed, my awareness of my usual sensory issues virtually disappears for that duration, I feel happier, and I forget all my worries. This more relaxed feeling can last for several hours after leaving the company of animals, but only if nothing else interferes with it.

I find that humans inserting themselves back into my life will send all the beneficial feelings away again.

Based on these experiences I don't find it hard to believe that oxytocin is helpful in alleviating or making less harsh some symptoms, or anxiety in general.

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

15 Mar 2015, 12:27 pm

F10ona1 wrote:
But there are associated problems with using artificial hormone therapy, I think recent research showed a link between HRT and cancer.
There are some interesting studies about meditation on compassion and the natural production of oxytocin. I'll see if I can find a link if you're interested.

There are many different hormones. Some forms of hormone replacement will have different risks than others. The risks of say, testosterone replacement therapy, will be different from adding oxytocin. Even adrenaline is a hormone, so is an epi-pen a form of HRT?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 1:12 pm

F10ona1 wrote:

yes, please!

hugging, compassion meditation, and sex all release oxytocin

Question: An affectionate, horny Buddhist is a happy person? :P :P :P :P :P :P :P