Anxiety, overreacting, outbursts and over thinking things

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ShyChristianGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: Some where in the U.S. of A. (Still kind of shy, but not that religious anymore. I'm 32. Not yet 33.)

18 Mar 2015, 4:09 am

Does Autism/Aspergers really cause that? Because, I've been getting this like a whole lot lately when I think and stress a lot about things. I'll even have anxiety attacks and scream out loud randomly or if I get super pissed off. I've been just going nuts.

sparrowblue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2015, 4:44 am

I think it can contribute to it, but probably the main reason for it is the anxiety and stress; has it been this way for you always or only recently? For me it's mainly when I'm really stressed out by any given thing or in general. Unless this stress is directly related or due to aspects of the autism (e.g. sensory processing, or any number of things) then it may simply make it more difficult to cope, if it plays any part.

While some people may have a lower stress tolerance than others and perhaps those with autism find it more difficult to deal with (I know I do), there are always ways to improve the situation, like techniques to manage stress. You've probably heard many of them before; exercise, trying to eat and sleep well; finding solutions to any particular problems; meditation & relaxation; in some cases therapy and medication, etc. I wish I could offer an answer in more detail but I don't really know. I've been wondering about it a lot myself, lately.

ShyChristianGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: Some where in the U.S. of A. (Still kind of shy, but not that religious anymore. I'm 32. Not yet 33.)

18 Mar 2015, 5:39 am

sparrowblue wrote:
I think it can contribute to it, but probably the main reason for it is the anxiety and stress; has it been this way for you always or only recently? For me it's mainly when I'm really stressed out by any given thing or in general. Unless this stress is directly related or due to aspects of the autism (e.g. sensory processing, or any number of things) then it may simply make it more difficult to cope, if it plays any part.

While some people may have a lower stress tolerance than others and perhaps those with autism find it more difficult to deal with (I know I do), there are always ways to improve the situation, like techniques to manage stress. You've probably heard many of them before; exercise, trying to eat and sleep well; finding solutions to any particular problems; meditation & relaxation; in some cases therapy and medication, etc. I wish I could offer an answer in more detail but I don't really know. I've been wondering about it a lot myself, lately.

I've pretty much been this way all of my life, but it's gotten more severe lately. And for example...Just because, my aunt didn't let me have my way on something about 2 weeks ago or so. I screamed really loud, as loud as my voice could scream and had an anxiety attack while we were on a trip, grabbing her shoulder, but I didn't get like super violent. Honestly I think she was really mean that day and what she wouldn't let me do was wrong of her, but I wasn't able to control myself and went out of control. Shouldn't I had approached that situation more calmly though? And maybe it wasn't even normal, because I'm like 25 years old.

sparrowblue

18 Mar 2015, 5:58 am

I think it would have been better to approach that situation more calmly. It usually is – becoming overwhelmed and losing control doesn’t tend to accomplish anything. At best it’s unpleasant to experience, and at worst it can mess things up more. That said, I know what it’s like to be overwhelmed, and to lose control. There are ways to deal but it becomes a kind of automatic or conditioned response it’s really difficult to overcome.

Stress can definitely it a lot worse. I felt like I was losing it for a while recently, but regained some control when the stress died down. Maybe that’s why it’s become more severe lately for you, if there are things you’re stressed out about?

Maybe some CBT-style techniques and mindfulness can help, like focusing on changing thoughts and actions while staying aware in the moment.

Thoughts: Maybe what this person did or said was unjust, but overreacting isn’t going to help matters. The best thing to do would be to do everything to stay as calm as possible and then try to reason with them if at all possible, or find other ways to deal with it or not.

Actions: focusing on breathing, asking to leave and take a brief walk or run, trying to switch one’s mind to something else if in a situation that can’t be escaped, finding something sensory and calming to focus on…etc.
Mindfulness: staying aware and observant of everything going on (from the senses to one’s internal emotional reactions) and let them pass without becoming tangled up and reacting instantly to them.

Reducing stress in general.

It’s not really “normal” or good but it happens. Thinking more about it I’m pretty sure AS really can lead to or make this kind of thing harder. Sorry if this isn’t of much help…again, I experience the same sometimes and if overwhelm and meltdown hit then there are times that none of the above can stop it and the only possible thing is to try and minimise any damage while it runs its course.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 10:58 am

The DSM 5 does not mention it so for many the idea is invalid. But pretty much every clinician who works with autistic people I have read, and the autistic people I have interacted with describe one or all of these things

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 11:07 am

Many autistics can have anxiety. I am an autistic aspie and I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

Ah yes - anxiety. That damn monkey that keeps crawling onto my back....

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 12:45 pm

Autism is Anxiety. What do you think causes stimming (and I'm talking about real stims, like rocking and swaying and head banging, not twirling your hair)?

Too many sensory neuroreceptors in the brain, leads to more incoming sensory data than the brain's processors can accommodate, which overwhelms the entire nervous system, creating stress and anxiety. We live in a state of heightened anxiety, compared to neurotypical people. If your cup of nerves is already filled to the brim, then it doesn't take much to make it overflow. :bounce: :shaking: :bounce:

f9
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Mar 2015, 5:57 pm

constantly getting trapped by it all - anxiety, overreacting, over thinking etc.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 6:16 pm

will@rd wrote:
Autism is Anxiety. What do you think causes stimming (and I'm talking about real stims, like rocking and swaying and head banging, not twirling your hair)?

Too many sensory neuroreceptors in the brain, leads to more incoming sensory data than the brain's processors can accommodate, which overwhelms the entire nervous system, creating stress and anxiety. We live in a state of heightened anxiety, compared to neurotypical people. If your cup of nerves is already filled to the brim, then it doesn't take much to make it overflow. :bounce: :shaking: :bounce:

will@ard, good post and I agree with your explanation for how and why the anxiety comes about.

But at the risk of going off-topic.....did you have to diss hair twirling as not being a "real" stim?

There have been threads about stims in which quite a fair few people post that they twist or twirl their hair obsessively enough that they have no doubt this is one of their particular stims.

I have several stims, and a form of hair-twisting is one of them. Years ago it got so bad the hair was falling out.

Please don't decide for others what's "real" in their habits that may be connected to their autism, and what's not.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 6:34 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:

Please don't decide for others what's "real" in their habits that may be connected to their autism, and what's not.

Only going by the original DSM definition of a stim as a "body movement" to alleviate autistic anxiety. I am aware that the popular definition has expanded lately to include fidgets, but I contend they are not the same thing. Fidgets are not "body movements," and alleviate nothing.

Rocking, swaying, toe-walking, even hand-flapping (since it involves the entire upper torso), are "body movements."

Hair twirling, finger drumming, head patting, tummy rubbing, nose picking - these are not body movements, they are fidgets and not specifically associate with autism. Every NT on the planet also engages in fidgeting.

Fidgets may become obsessive, even as you note, to the point of causing physical damage, but that's exactly why they are the opposite of stims.

Fidgets express anxiety, but do not relieve anxiety. That's the essential difference. We all fidget, it's a dead giveaway that anxiety is present, but it doesn't make us LESS anxious. Stimming does, in the same way that rocking or car rides do to calm babies.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 6:41 pm

Anxiety is the worst for me... :x

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 21, 2017)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

Autism's usual input would cause stimuli reactions (over- or under-) that is interpreted as chaotic that the mind or body couldn't handle or cope, thus anxiety and overreactions.

What if, said autistic could handle sensations and chaos that autistic input brings, enough not to end up with anxiety on daily basis no less? On long terms, even? :| Because that's how I end up with.

I know the differences and able to tell the differences... I've lived without anxiety longer than with it.

As for stimming and repetition? The autistic mind demands 'order' and symmetry due to said chaotic input. 'Order' grants familiarity and comfort.
A human would've react with anxiety and stress if their emotions and thoughts are simply filled with chaos and confusion.
NTs unconsciously handle theirs, so they have little or no need for stim -- 'normal' as order is enough for them. Take away 'normal', you'll see how an NT ends up with -- anxiety, overreacting, outburst, and over thinking -- because the human need (their version of) 'order' isn't fulfilled.

In other words, anxiety is mostly about this unfulfillment, imbalance, or whatnot, ends up with more human need of certainty and security.
Autism had this input and experiences that is likely ends up with uncertainty and insecurity -- hence demands order and certainty, mostly like anyone with anxiety would have, and BE one.
Too simplistic for an explanation. :lol: But then, that's how I end up with words.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 5:44 am

will@rd wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

Fidgets express anxiety, but do not relieve anxiety.

And a stim is also considered to be anything that the individual finds relieves their anxiety.

And my hair twisting -- which, trust me, was not merely "fidgeting" in me but extreme, repetitive and actually ORGANIZED, ie systemized to the point of being like a project, another autism behavior -- relieved my anxiety.

It was also not my only stim, so do not assume the more established ones were not present in me; they were.

BY THE WAY ----- WHY, exactly, did you dig up this zombie thread from two years ago to have a pop at my post -- from two years ago? Willard?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 5:11 pm

Quote:
BY THE WAY ----- WHY, exactly, did you dig up this zombie thread from two years ago to have a pop at my post -- from two years ago? Willard?

:lol:

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 6:00 pm

I know this is an old thread and the OP is very likely gone.

Yes I think autism does cause anxiety. I am someone who doesn't handle stress well and I get stressed out easier than most people. I also tend to overthink things and I have had outbursts and I think we can come off as overreacting.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.