Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm

and why? I just have no motivation or interest in exercising. I'm 5ft. woman 150lb. (Was 130 lb. for 10+ years) Only gained the 20 or so within the past year. :-( #1 thing I see on diets is OMG! PROTEIN OMG! PROTEIN!

UH! I HATE Protein!! !! I don't want to eat 25g protein EACH MEAL! (Was the current diet fad my mom is doing ICK!)

Another site I googled 100+g Protein in a day! Again ICK! and protein is VERY limited! If you don't like Eggs 24/7 or turkey/chicken/steak etc. NO PROTEIN FOR YOU!

Sorry sugar cereal breakfast Hot Pocket lunch waffles or insert something else NOT MEAT for dinner. NOT Protein for dinner. Even those HUGE EXPENSIVE JUGS of powder ICK! UH! NO THEY DON'T TASTE LIKE CHOCOLATE! ICK!

Atkins shakes taste fine 15g protein only though but not a fan of turkey and eggs etc. 99% or ALL protein foods ICK!

Also I don't want to take time for dumb bells UGH! Or even walking! Just not tired yes "lazy" but bored type don't want to bother with it all. IMO eating above and not changing diet & exercise is probably a WASTE OF MY TIME!

Florida 90 degrees here now so I COULD get back into swimming in the pool maybe but it's getting interested in that I have no motivation or care to do exercise PLUS OMG! Diet OMG! change food habits BUT I also don't want to gain another 20+ either BUT AGAIN NO OMG! Protein 24/7 either.

What do some of you do for exercise or eating healthy??

f9
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2015, 5:57 pm

I'm US size 6 UK size 10.

I never diet.

I just follow a few basic rules.

1) keep anything refined or processed as low/ as little as possible,
2) eat as fresh as possible (yes, it does involves dropping by a shop daily but I only buy a few items at time - and my fridge is pretty empty most of the time),
3) finish eating before too overtly full.

Refined and or processed things are: refined sugars, white flour products … canned/ tinned food, pre-cooked meals, cookies and chocolate bars, sausages etc.
So I don't buy any of it. I eat cakes, buns, pizza and stuff like that only socially (for example, when it's a party or something and not eating a cake would be more bothersome than eating it).

I prefer home cooked and wholemeal/ unrefined, lots of greens, veggies, fruits.

Nr 3 means - not hungry anymore but not so super ultra full that I can't move either.

I don't snack although I should (for reason below). I tend to have a tea instead of a snack.

I don't do much sports. I have a camera and I like meandering around with it.

I do some yoga - because I have very low blood pressure combined with excessively dropping and rising blood sugar and without getting my body moving in the mornings I just feel dead. Literally.
The extreme lows and highs in blood sugar is why I should snack - to keep it even. But I tend to forget …
So … ah, yoga is about 15-30 mins a day, not any active style. Mainly sort of stretching a bit in all directions thing.

So, as for advice/ opinion -

1, forget about diets. They're all b***s**t. Just avoid crap and eat food. In medium quantities.
2, forget about special exercise. Try thinking of a hobby - even if it's like window-shopping or something - which would be exiting and involve moving around. Swimming, by the way, sounds ultra awesome - it is strong physical exercise which trains the whole body like nothing else.

… speaking of that, I should really take up swimming … I have so weak muscles … so thank you for the reminder! :)

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 5:59 pm

I stick to a diet of mostly protein: vegetables and meat - and avoid white carbs like sugar, white bread, potatoes, etc like the devil, because they are. Unless you exert a tremendous amount of energy during the day, at a manual labor job, your body has no use for empty carbs and will turn them straight into fat. Sorry that isn't what you want to hear, but its the simple truth.

As for exercise, I spent 60 - 90 minutes a day elevating my heart rate with abdominal crunches, bench pressing a 120lb barbell, 15lb dumbbells, pushups and a mile and a half to two miles on the treadmill at a power-walk pace. Its not a matter of enjoyment, although I don't mind it, I watch television while I do it, but I've done it for so long its a part of my daily routine, I actually suffer from elevated anxiety levels if I don't do it.

I don't really know why you ask for advice, then list all the things you aren't willing to do. Weight loss and fitness isn't magic, you have to exert effort to create it and maintain it. If you want to be in shape, you can do it, but its going to be hard at first. If it makes you sore and short of breath, just remember that's part of the process of getting there. Just like hunger pangs are the sensation of your body consuming its own fat and that's a GOOD thing (if you don't let it go too far). That means your diet is working.

Once it becomes a routine, you won't mind it anymore, it won't seem hard at all, it will just be a normal part of your day. And once you look in the mirror or step on the scale and see the weight coming off, you'll find your motivation. Looking good feels good. The question is, how bad do you want it? You're the only one who can make it happen.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Do You Exercise

Yep.

Quote:
If So What?

Swimming, cycling, and weights.

Quote:
and why?

Dem health benefits. Not dying of a heart attack at 50. Plus ever since I started exercises I feel better in myself and have a lot more energy.

Oh, and eating: I'm trying to lose weight while maintaining as much muscle mass as I can. I follow a few basic rules.

- Eat fewer calories than I expend
- Get lots of protein
- Rabbit starvation bad. Eat enough fat.
- Eat interesting, tasty food, otherwise you will never stick to this.
- Have regular treats to break the monotony (I ate pizza every week last year and still lost 15kg. You don't need to live on rabbit food.)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

daniel1948
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2015, 9:18 am

Yes, I exercise. At home I jog on a treadmill, or I walk up an incline on the treadmill, or I ride an exercise bike. I also do a little bit of resistance work: bicep and tricep curls, crunches.

I do it for overall general health, for maintaining a healthy weight, and because it keeps me in shape for the things I really enjoy: Hiking in the mountains, diving (both scuba and freediving, which is breath-hold diving), flat-water paddling (kayak or canoe on a lake or inside an atoll, or in relatively calm ocean waters).

If you weigh more than you want to (and there are many health ramifications of being overweight) do NOT try any of the popular diets. They are all bad. Low-carb, low-fat, Atkins, any diet promoted by one book. The problem is that you may lose the weight, but as soon as you end the diet you'll put the weight back on.

You have to change your lifestyle for the rest of your life. This means you must adopt an eating style that you can stay with for the rest of your life. If you don't like protein, you don't need to eat a lot of it. (BTW, beans are a very healthy non-animal source of protein. Nuts have lots of protein also, though nuts also have a lot of fat, so should be eaten in moderation. It's healthy fat, but still, fat has a lot of calories. So, moderation.)

Weight Watchers is a good plan because they promote a healthy, balanced diet. Nothing is required, and nothing is prohibited. You need a treat from time to time, after all. But you limit the amount.

That's really the key: Eat a wide variety of foods, but eat less than you've been eating. Michael Pollan says "Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much." The first part (eat food) means real food, not junk food. The second part means meat is okay if you like it, but should be only a small part of your diet. And meat is not necessary if you don't like it. And the last part, obviously, means just what it says. Don't eat too much.

Exercise is really good to help lose weight, also. I do NOT like exercising at home. I do it because I DO like being healthy. I LOVE hiking and diving and paddling, and exercising at home keeps me in shape for those things. If you start a regular exercise program, I promise, you'll feel better.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 2:42 pm

I mainly do pushups and go for 7+ km runs for exercise, and a little (not enough!) yoga. Sometimes I hike or bike. Come Summer I'm going to get out kiteboarding as much as I can while still working full time+ hours. I get some exercise by being on my feet all day at work, too, and more when doing construction stuff on the side.

Protein is critical for building/maintaining muscle mass. It's also much better for both digestive & neurological health, too. There are more sources of protein than you've listed. Hemp seeds/protein powder, nuts, nut butters, fish, meat, eggs etc. I avoid dairy & soy, though.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2015, 6:59 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
and why?

1) To be stronger, both in terms of cardio and muscular strength - for longevity - on average, healthy people live longer

2) It feels good to know the body is capable, and this feeds itself - the fitter you become, the more energy you have for life - mentally and physically

zeldapsychology wrote:
I just have no motivation or interest in exercising.
And statistically you'll die younger, be overweight, and be more susceptible to depression etc as a consequence of this attitude

zeldapsychology wrote:
Sorry sugar cereal breakfast Hot Pocket lunch waffles or insert something else
Keep that up and very soon you'll more than likely be obese and have high likelihood of a heart attack at a young age. You're increasing your chance of death with a diet like that.

zeldapsychology wrote:
Also I don't want to take time for dumb bells UGH! Or even walking! Just not tired yes "lazy" but bored type don't want to bother with it all
This attitude explains the obesity rates of your country

zeldapsychology wrote:
What do some of you do for exercise or eating healthy??
Run 5x/week, gym 4x/week, plus other high cardio activity. Plus a very controlled diet - no point burning 1000cals then having a pizza.

PS whatever you eat is your 'diet' - we're all on a diet - yours presently would appear to be waffles and zero nutritional content food.