You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 77 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 142  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 11:31 am

Amethysts were believed to cure or prevent alcohol intoxication in ancient Greece. They would wear jewelry or drink from containers carved from it.

Yeah, that would like totally work. :hic: :lol:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 6:48 pm

GPS uses 4 not 3 satellites to determine your position.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 5:42 pm

Username64 wrote:
I learned about this website today and decided to join. :D

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 11:53 pm

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 12:31 am

Lol that I must have sleep-walked out to the couch after I went to bed. I actually went to bed and ended up back on the couch in the living room... I drank like two-three beers and took a couple undersized shots of tequilia, not enough to get me wasted or anything. So yeah I figure I must have sleep walked because I certainly don't remember getting up to go back out there, except I vaugly remembered wanting to finish an episode of a show but I thought I dreamed that. Perhaps I did dream it but that's when I made my way back out into the living room. So yeah I guess I do that sometimes...might explain some odd memories I have from when I was a kid.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 9:05 pm

I apparently draw even worse when I have specific, detailed instructions and/or images outside of just mental images to work from than when I don't :lol:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 4:39 pm

That there are many many life-threatening diseases I can get just from having my tonsils and adenoids taken out when I was four, like heart attacks, several kinds of cancer, appendicitis, and MS. 8O

I had read somewhere that most people's immune system's compensate for the removal of their tonsils, but I guess they were wrong. Another thing to put on my gravestone, along with "She was left-handed", and "She had Asperger's"... "She had her tonsils taken out". :roll:

Whelp, since I'm obviously gonna be dead in five years, I might as well spend it goofing off and enjoying what little time is left... no sense worrying about my future when there is none.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 11:08 am

Cotard delusion is a rare mental illness that makes a person believe that they are dead, that they are a corpse, or that they don't exist, or that parts of their body don't exist. :skull:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 4:42 pm

There's this self-published book called Melanie's Marvelous Measles, which was written by an anti-vaxxer who believes measles vaccines are ineffective and that children should get the measles because it will make them stronger and healthier, and that it's "harmless". I already knew about the book, but I learned today that Roald Dahl's daughter, Olivia Dahl, died from the measles. Since the title of the pro-measles book sounds similar to Dahl's book, George's Marvelous Medicine, it's like the writer just gave one of the greatest authors of children's books a giant middle finger. :x

Or maybe she didn't know about Roald's daughter. Or maybe she did and thought Olivia Dahl caught it even though she was vaccinated because she ate too much junk food, because that's what happened to another kid at the end of the story.

I can't believe I was actually considering getting some of my own stories self-published, even though I would never write this kind of garbage. :roll:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 4:43 pm

I may have killed this thread. Why am I always doing that? :(

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 5:58 pm

I learned this long time ago, if you turned off your Wi-Fi on your phone, you will save the battery. I learned today that my iPhone charge faster than my iPad, cuz I’m playing games on my iPad. And if you stock up on frozen meals & ice cream, you don’t have to buy them for a month through few months. When I buy laundry detergents, it takes me 6 months to order a new one.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 5:07 pm

That 1 in 4 Americans believe the sun revolves around the earth. :roll:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 9:45 am

That diabetes in cats have sky rocketed, and not for the reasons you'd assume. Apparently, 1 of 4 cases can be traced to a rare brain cancer. Which in turn is the result of chemicals in our homes, chemicals that make furniture last and computers more user friendly. Cats are particularly vulnerable to them because they lick themselves so much and so ingest it. The vet, dr Stijn Niessen at Royal Veterinary College, thought it likely that we'd see people get this increasingly the next decades as well.

Tortoises like to check their enclosures and climb on rocks to check it all out. That made me think of Nikita. She was a climber.

Tortoises store their bladders with water, and pet tortoises should get a few minutes in shallow water 2-3 times a week. If the tortoise is gonna hibernate, it should be put in water every day so it can fill up before hibernation and have a better chance of surviving.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 11:34 am

That Skilpadde is a great person

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 4:52 pm

kazanscube wrote:
That Skilpadde is a great person

Wow, thank you, Kazan! You are always so sweet and friendly :)

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 6:08 pm

Of all the countries in Europe, farmers in Iceland grow the largest number of bananas.