You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 1 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next

tinky2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2015, 11:00 pm

You can post one thing or a million things you learned today. The topic is your oyster.

When you're browning butter it is very important to pay attention. It can go from brown to black very quickly.

My dog cannot handle parades at all.

Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 11:55 pm

Driving 120 miles after being awake for 24 straight hours isn't the best decision one can make..

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 12:03 am

odds and ends about the battle of midway.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Strawberry5
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 4:57 pm

Today, I learnt that my friend Marc's uncle * has a similar sense of humour to my father. Because they both like making cheesy jokes.

* One of his uncles.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 5:21 pm

I learned a bit about General Sherman's 'March To The Sea' in the American Civil War, in 1864.

f9
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2015, 6:09 pm

that habits are hard to break!

tinky2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2015, 7:34 pm

A fat free burrito is not filling at all.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 9:47 pm

I learned about Fan Myopia on TV Tropes, where I realized that NT people can have interests just as limited as Aspies, either that or maybe video game critics must all be aspies because their interests in different kinds of games are limited and if they, for example, think a game is too "kiddie" they will put put that above everything else no matter how good the game is because they don't assume other people might like "kiddie" games, or the target audience *is* young children and they don't care at all what adults think.

This reminded me why I usually don't read critic's ratings for games any more in order to find out if it's any good before I buy it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 8:19 am

I didn't just learn this, today----but, a few days, ago.....

I've been doing everything I could think-of, to NOT be attractive, so that men would stop hitting-on me----but, my efforts were all for naught, it seems, because I'm STILL getting hit-on!! NOW, I'm thinking that men are hitting-on me because they think I'll be a pushover, because I must really have low self-esteem, or else I wouldn't go-out looking the way I do! SHEESH----there's just NO END----and I'm so sick-of-it, I could SCREAM!!

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm

I read the medication guide on my new med. I also discovered that berry blend juice doesn't cover the taste well enough to dissolve it in.

I've been tracking nasty headaches and there is pattern emerging in correlation with one of my meds.

tinky2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2015, 12:30 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:

I've been doing everything I could think-of, to NOT be attractive, so that men would stop hitting-on me----but, my efforts were all for naught, it seems, because I'm STILL getting hit-on!! NOW, I'm thinking that men are hitting-on me because they think I'll be a pushover, because I must really have low self-esteem, or else I wouldn't go-out looking the way I do! SHEESH----there's just NO END----and I'm so sick-of-it, I could SCREAM!!

I have this problem a lot. I pull my hair up in a mess bun, wear my glasses, put on what I think is a nice non-provocative dress, wear no make up and still a creepy older guy walked up to me in the middle of the day and tried to talk to me. I just want to walk down the street without getting stares and little comments. I don't mind the compliments but the cat calls are annoying. A guy later on told me he liked the dress I was wearing and I happily thanked him.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 12:43 pm

I might be able to get a job at the National Zoo.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:31 pm

tinky2 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

I have this problem a lot. I pull my hair up in a mess bun, wear my glasses, put on what I think is a nice non-provocative dress, wear no make up and still a creepy older guy walked up to me in the middle of the day and tried to talk to me. I just want to walk down the street without getting stares and little comments. I don't mind the compliments but the cat calls are annoying. A guy later on told me he liked the dress I was wearing and I happily thanked him.

I know----I don't brush my hair, on PURPOSE, if I'm going-out (I DO, when I'm staying home), and I just throw it up, in a pony tail. I don't wear any makeup, perfume----I won't paint my nails, no jewelry, etc.----and I've completely given-up on wearing my dresses. I never have been the kind to show cleavage----it doesn't seem to matter WHAT I look like!! How does one get people to leave them alone? I mean, I'm one of those rare Aspies who is very sociable----I LOVE to talk to people----but, if you say ONE word to a guy, he'll end-up askin' ya, for your phone number----and, if you DON'T talk to them (I've tried it), they make a show of telling people how you must think you're better, than them!! UNbeLIEVable!! !! !! !! !! !! !

I just thought of something..... It almost seems like I get hit-on, MORE, NOW----than I did, when I looked nice!! WTH??!?! !?!? I can remember, ever since I was a teenager, people saying stuff like: "Boy, they must be linin-up, for YOU!!"----and, they NEVER were----and I WANTED to date, THEN!! People said, when I looked nice, that it was probably because guys were intimidated by me----that they thought that they weren't good-enough, for me----or, that "I" wouldn't think they were good-enough, for ME----so, they wouldn't ask me out.....

Now, it seems, every single time I go out, I get accosted!! GOOD GRIEF----back to the drawing-board.....

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:49 pm

Never turn off all system services in msconfig. Your system is going to look odd and you will be unable to connect to Internet ect.

Never turn on everything at once in msconfig if you turned some apps off a long, long time ago. Computer is going to freeze on next start up and turning on msconfig again to fix it will be a pain.
:oops:

Correct settings in msconfig and regedit makes even old, messed up system start up and turn off times a blink of eye.
8)

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2015, 4:54 pm

If you know the right combinations - you can feed yourself for a week for under $50.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

You can NOT baptize a cat without it's full cooperation.