You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 59 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 142  Next

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 12:20 am

I found out that weird papery stuff they inexplicably make you bite repeatedly at the dentist actually makes marks on new fillings so the dentist can see where the filling material needs to be ground down to fit in with your bite.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 5:36 pm

There used to be a rumor that Bubble Yum, which was the first bubble gum that was soft and easier to chew, got its then-unusual texture from spider eggs. Apparently the rumor became so widespread that the Life Savers company, which originally created the gum, started posting everywhere telling people that was not true. And it wasn't, but you've got to wonder how urban myths like these got started. Maybe because Bubble Yum felt more slippery than previous gum and spider eggs are slippery, too? But spider eggs are wrapped up in silk, so how can they be slippery? Some "genius" or a little kid must have had them confused with frog eggs.

I always liked Hubba Bubba gum as a kid, because the bubbles were big and wouldn't stick to your face. I wonder if there were any weird urban myths about that as well?

Last edited by lostonearth35 on 30 Oct 2017, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 6:19 pm

^ There's always that myth of bubble gum staying in your body for seven years if you swallow it. In reality it gets passed out soon enough, along with any other food your body can't digest.

As for me, I finally got around to learning the meaning of the phrase "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Basically it means that it's better to have a little of something with certainty ("a bird in the hand") than trying to get more at the risk of ending up with nothing ("two in the bush" ... out of your hands/grasp). Birds here can also refer to falcons, which were valuable for hunting hundreds of years ago.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 8:14 pm

I learned that there oughta be a GD law that all outdoor dogs must wear diapers.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 6:04 pm

Just learned about Silk Screening errors in PCB design.

Never thought about that (human factor) as a problem factor for troubleshooting motherboards, i thought people who did that sort of thing knew what they were doing and QA checked up on that kind of stuff.

http://www.omnicircuitboards.com/blog/bid/312861/understanding-pcb-manufacturing-silk-screening

Quote:
"on many A3640's the electrolyt capacitors are mounted in the
wrong direction, reducing lifetime - even the PCB print is wrong"

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a3640

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 6:16 pm

I learned that cats can be like ninjas, even when you are expecting it.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

I learned anew of the charms of the old record, "around the world with the chipmunks."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 9:02 pm

Black-capped chickadees can lower their body temperature when it's cold at night and store food for the winter. That's why they don't migrate.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 9:32 pm

The ankh is an Egyptian hieroglyphic that symbolizes life, that was very popular during the 60's when people were heavily into New Age culture.

Not long ago I was watching a video about how over-the-top the censorship had once gotten with Nintendo, and they showed a graveyard where the crosses were all changed to ankhs because they just couldn't allow religious symbols in their games. Since learning that it symbolizes life I think that makes it even more weird to put on a gravestone. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 2:52 am

I just discovered this gem :dj:

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:13 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
The ankh is an Egyptian hieroglyphic that symbolizes life, that was very popular during the 60's when people were heavily into New Age culture.

Not long ago I was watching a video about how over-the-top the censorship had once gotten with Nintendo, and they showed a graveyard where the crosses were all changed to ankhs because they just couldn't allow religious symbols in their games. Since learning that it symbolizes life I think that makes it even more weird to put on a gravestone. :lol:

They also censored the word 'Holy' in the Final Fantasy series until FFVII, and the nude background statues in various Castlevania games were given robes.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm

Most doctors are f***heads.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:35 pm

that it's possible to sonically restore even the worst audio recordings, to a point.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:45 pm

I learned that cats will even play with buttons.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

That during a class presentation, I learned American Horror Story uses factors from reality to create a world of melodrama and fear.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:40 pm

Today is World Toilet Day. Ummm, okay... :?

No seriously, it's a day set aside to raise awareness of the billions of people in lesser developed countries who don't have access to toilets or any other place where they can relieve themselves in a more discreet and less unsanitary manner.

I guess that's something we should all give a #2 about. :lol: