You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 57 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 142  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

There are signs at Disneyland of all places warning people that the resort can cause cancer and birth defects.

Seriously? I know everything causes cancer and birth defects these days, but they do they really have to put up signs about it everywhere in California? And in Disneyland? I'm so depressed, now.

It's a small world after all... hope that tumor is benign... :cry:

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2017, 3:30 pm

I learn't that cheap runners/trainers, that you get in pennies/primark are as good as the expensive ones like adidas.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 3:37 pm

That there is a species of penguin called the macaroni penguin, which I think is so cute.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 6:23 pm

^That's my dad's favourite penguin. :D

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 8:18 pm

Today learned where the Veterans Hospital is.

:D

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 4:38 am

The importance of accepting information simply as information, without colouring it with any kind of personal interpretation (as much as this is possible, anyway) was reinforced today.
A bad-tempered, bitter old relative was even moreso because of health problems, and was casting a nasty light on everything anyone said. The most harmless, neutral comments were twisted into being personal attacks. I reflected that perhaps we all twist information in this way, and merit could be gained by trying to see it as just information, without bias.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 10:37 am

^That is a wise thing to recognize. :)

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:36 am

C2V wrote:
The most harmless, neutral comments were twisted into being personal attacks. I reflected that perhaps we all twist information in this way, and merit could be gained by trying to see it as just information, without bias.

No, some people are just like that. I cannot stand talking to them. Possibly Borderline Personality disorder.

Today i learned that canned chicken is so tender that if you cook it in a curry, it goes pulled chicken.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2017, 10:36 pm

Today I learned that I loathe Windows 10 even more than I previously contemplated.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 1:00 am

i learned that california allows civilians to own tasers, they're not considered firearms. that's encouraging.

lostonearth35 wrote:
There are signs at Disneyland of all places warning people that the resort can cause cancer and birth defects.

Seriously? I know everything causes cancer and birth defects these days, but they do they really have to put up signs about it everywhere in California? And in Disneyland? I'm so depressed, now.

It's a small world after all... hope that tumor is benign... :cry:

"reproductive harm" too, right? :skull:

proposition 65 warnings here are notorious for being vague and nonspecific and everywhere, their sheer ubiquity and lack of penalty for posting an unnecessary warning sign have rendered the message practically meaningless to a lot of californians.

me? definitely. that's what overexposure does.

the risk of causing cancer a substance needs, to have a warning label on/around it, is really quite low, something like a 1 in 100,000 chance of causing cancer over a 70-year period.

it was put in place in '86 to protect drinking water sources. maybe disneyland has some nasty water. that much wouldn't surprise me.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 12:19 am

That PETA did some things that just prove what an animal "wrongs" group they really are. :roll:

Like release a very large number of minks from a farm into the wild only for the minks to all die in a few days because they didn't know how to survive on their and depended on the farmers for food and care. I don't like animals being killed for their fur, but that's still pretty bad.

And they also stole a bunch of live saltwater fish from a restaurant and released them... into fresh water. That could ended well. Unless they were salmon, maybe.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 12:26 am

that most audio equipment is limited in key areas of sound reproduction or re-creation.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 12:40 am

About Deanism and Filianism, religions which I find interesting.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 2:32 pm

I'm 78.6% British and Irish

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 3:44 pm

I learned that rainstorms are often unexpected.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 4:20 pm

Before you bid on something online, check your cellar if you already have such a thing stowed away in a box somewhere.