Could Disney Land be the next terrorist target?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 3:47 pm

sly279 wrote:
pretty sure isis could afford to get in disney land for 100 dollars. they aren't that poor.

But why would they bother, if there are places that don't cost anything...and also places with much less security?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:
pretty sure isis could afford to get in disney land for 100 dollars. they aren't that poor.

But why would they bother, if there are places that don't cost anything...and also places with much less security?

Symbolism

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:09 am

It could, or it could not; what's the point?

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:12 am

I'm sure that even the most derenged muslims wouldn't brutally murder hundreads of kids.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:14 am

GoonSquad wrote:
But I really do think it has more to do with being too fixated on doing 'big' attacks....

I have similar thoughts when I hear about mass shootings, in that Molotov cocktails are a much faster and cheaper way to kill a lot of people quickly and maybe even get away with it, but that the guns are flashier. Aurora is the textbook case there for me, that guy spent a ton of time and money acquiring a bunch of fancy gear, much of which he didn't even use, when firebombs in a crowded theater would have been far more effective and allowed for him to escape.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:59 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Symbolism

And what is it Disney Land symbolizes....I know what it symbolizes to me, and its not pretty, its crowded, smells bad, some of the rides are downright creepy, like in a trying to be cute way and I sure never want to see it again. I have heard Disney World is a lot better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 1:03 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I'm sure that even the most derenged muslims wouldn't brutally murder hundreads of kids.

It wouldn't surprise me, when it comes to religious extremists they come up with twisted ideas like for instance that they'd be doing the kids a favor, or their sacrifice is somehow for the greater good of the cause and sick stuff like that. Hundreds of children where murdered during the Holocaust and that is not even religious extremism...so why wouldn't the most deranged muslims be able to do that, what about deranged Christians who kill their own children like some news stories I have heard.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 3:56 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Symbolism

If terrorists can infiltrate flight schools to learn to fly hijacked airlines into buildings then I suppose they could also send moles through the job training to become Disneyland employees.

The World Trade Center was a target purely because of symbolism. And I suppose you could say that Disneyland also has a certain symbolism. So I suppose that its conceivable they might go to the trouble to do that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 11:52 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Symbolism

And what is it Disney Land symbolizes....I know what it symbolizes to me, and its not pretty, its crowded, smells bad, some of the rides are downright creepy, like in a trying to be cute way and I sure never want to see it again. I have heard Disney World is a lot better.

Vapidness, Fakeness, for fundamentalists false idols. Although there is Disney theme parks outside of the USA most people think of it as an America culture icon. the next big attack may not be jahidists it very well be could totally be USA homegrown

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:02 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Symbolism

Vapidness, Fakeness, for fundamentalists false idols. Although there is Disney theme parks outside of the USA most people think of it as an America culture icon. the next big attack may not be jahidists it very well be could totally be USA homegrown

Maybe Disneyland will be attacked "homegrown" taste terrorists, and anti kitsch jihadists, who will level the place overnight (while its closed to the public) with well placed fertilizer bombs that will level the buildings while no one is there (destroy the kitsch, but spare the people).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Symbolism

Maybe Disneyland will be attacked "homegrown" taste terrorists, and anti kitsch jihadists, who will level the place overnight (while its closed to the public) with well placed fertilizer bombs that will level the buildings while no one is there (destroy the kitsch, but spare the people).

Why would terrorists care about sparing the people?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Symbolism

Why would terrorists care about sparing the people?

I was being facetious. Expressing my own fantasy of obliterating the place. But I would target the property, and not people.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 1:15 pm

Dox47 wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
But I really do think it has more to do with being too fixated on doing 'big' attacks....

I have similar thoughts when I hear about mass shootings, in that Molotov cocktails are a much faster and cheaper way to kill a lot of people quickly and maybe even get away with it, but that the guns are flashier. Aurora is the textbook case there for me, that guy spent a ton of time and money acquiring a bunch of fancy gear, much of which he didn't even use, when firebombs in a crowded theater would have been far more effective and allowed for him to escape.

Huh... that's an interesting idea. I can agree that American mass shooters want to do what they do in spectacular fashion.
However, when I think of American mass shooters, I also think mental illness, specifically malignant narcissism.

I think most shooters are end stage malignant narcissists--they're usually (but not always) suicidal and they need to go out in a blaze of glory. The goal is to personally inflict as much harm and suffering as possible in the most public and dramatic way possible. As you observed, guns are great for that, and it satisfies the malign part of their nature. But they also need to 'take credit' for the atrocity to feed the narcissist bit too.

So, it's not just about body counts. It's about everybody knowing you are responsible for the body count. This is why escape is almost never a consideration. They want to die in infamy, not live in obscurity.

I think your reasoning is a bit too reasonable for most mass shooters (because they're crazy).

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 1:31 pm

It could be just like any public place but I doubt it is high on the list of potential targets since terrorists aren't as interested in places where people take their kids, they are more interested in places that are mostly adults and symbolize something they feel is against whatever cause they are for - world trade center and pentagon being examples, or ways to cripple the infrastructure.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 1:49 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It could be just like any public place but I doubt it is high on the list of potential targets since terrorists aren't as interested in places where people take their kids, they are more interested in places that are mostly adults and symbolize something they feel is against whatever cause they are for - world trade center and pentagon being examples, or ways to cripple the infrastructure.

Sure, this is the way more traditional terrorist groups like Al Qaeda pick targets... But the new terrorists, such as ISIS, are in it for maximum shock value.

Where do you go when the novelty of beheadings and immolations wears off? Disneyland seems like a good choice to me.

I think murdered/murdering children on youtube is the next logical step.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 1:57 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Sure, this is the way more traditional terrorist groups like Al Qaeda pick targets... But the new terrorists, such as ISIS, are in it for maximum shock value.

Where do you go when the novelty of beheadings and immolations wears off? Disneyland seems like a good choice to me.

I think murdered/murdering children on youtube is the next logical step.

When ISIS invaded Hebdo, they let a woman and her child go. Told them to get lost. They deliberately chose not to kill a woman and her child they encountered in the hallway.