Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

alleviate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2015, 9:49 am

Has anyone else had an "accident" at a later age that is not due to a medical problem like a leaky bladder? I had one in ninth grade. Since I didn't really understand social conventions, I thought it was weird and uncool for other people to see you leave to go to the bathroom for some reason. Now I know this is not the case and leave whenever the heck I want to, but for a while back then, I didn't use the bathroom at school at all and only went at home. Unfortunately, this led to me peeing myself at band practice after school. Fortunately, I didn't lose any friends and I'm still close to the people who were right next to me. I did have severe anxiety about having another accident for nearly four years, but now it's thankfully gone.

My question is, has anyone else had an accident at a later age (if you're comfortable sharing) and do you think this is due to the autism or am I just an anomaly?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 3:30 pm

I remember when I was 9 I woke up one morning peeing the bed. I got into such a panic, because I hadn't wore any diapers or pull-ups since I was 2, not even in bed. I thought something was wrong with me. So I went into my mum's room crying my eyes out, because I thought she would be mad at me. But she wasn't mad. She told me that this happens to a lot of children just once or twice, and there is nothing wrong with it.

I haven't had an accident like that ever since, thank God.

So yeah, I don't think it's just Autistics that have this happen at some point during childhood. I remember when I was about 7 or 8, I was in the classroom and one of the boys asked if he can go to the toilet but the teacher told him to finish his work first. Then he suddenly just peed himself, all over the chair. His mate said that he drank a lot of juice at play time.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm

There were a couple incidents in fifth grade during lunch time in which I had to pee Really badly, but didn't really know how to ask any of the lunch duty staff if I could get up and use the restroom (I don't think I even considered it), so I just ended up peeing my pants. I felt awful about it, but it was better than the constant pain of holding it in at the time.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 4:30 pm

Once when I was 11, when I was sick, I...umm...pooed my pants. :oops: No one saw except my mom, but I still felt pretty ashamed.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 4:40 pm

I used to pee in the bed about 2 or 3 times a week until I was 8.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 4:49 pm

Well actually worse than that...though I doubt it has much to do with the autism. Somewhat recently I thought I just needed to pass gas cause I was constipated feeling and gassy, but it turned out to be a bit more than that, but I was by myself so no one to be embarrassed in front of.

I've come close to peeing when I am walking somewhere and trying to get to a bathroom cause I need to go, but there isn't one so I'm trying to hold it but thus far I've managed to make it to a bathroom or at least adequate hiding outside just in time.

And I think maybe once or twice since after the age of 18 I've done so in my sleep, that sucked, but such is life...I cannot really do anything about it if I'm asleep and don't wake up in time I guess.

alleviate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2015, 4:56 pm

Grahzmann wrote:
There were a couple incidents in fifth grade during lunch time in which I had to pee Really badly, but didn't really know how to ask any of the lunch duty staff if I could get up and use the restroom (I don't think I even considered it), so I just ended up peeing my pants. I felt awful about it, but it was better than the constant pain of holding it in at the time.

I completely understand not knowing how to ask to go to the bathroom. It always used to be an awkward and uncomfortable feeling for me so I just avoided it. Thankfully, we don't have to ask to go to the bathroom in college. :)

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm

Grahzmann wrote:

Holy moly, I had almost the exact same situation! It was sometime around 4th or 5th grade, and I had to pee really bad in school, but I couldn't get up the nerve to ask the teacher. (My school was not structured the way most public schools are) She was busy with other students, and I tried to wait until she was finished with them, but I couldn't. I just stood there for the longest time, trying to figure out what to do, not having the courage to interrupt and not being able to figure out if I should interrupt. I finally couldn't hold it anymore and just went back to my seat and peed myself. I didn't want anyone to know, so I stayed in my chair, in the wet mess, until the end of the day. :oops: I don't know how I got out and all the way home without anyone noticing; or if they did, they didn't say anything. In fact, I don't remember the rest of that day at all; I have no idea what happened. I peed all over, it had to have soaked the carpet, and I could smell it, so the kids next to me had to have also.

I think I might occasionally wet the bed; I sometimes wake up with the sheets wet from my chest to my knees, but I'm not sure if I peed or if I just sweatted a lot in my sleep. I hate, hate, HATE to be cold, so I sleep under a comforter all year round, and it gets hot in the middle of the night. There are two times when I KNOW it had to be pee, but the other times might just be sweat.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2015, 7:22 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
I don't know how I got out and all the way home without anyone noticing; or if they did, they didn't say anything. In fact, I don't remember the rest of that day at all; I have no idea what happened. I peed all over, it had to have soaked the carpet, and I could smell it, so the kids next to me had to have also.

A kid on the bus ride home decided to declare to everyone that he could smell pee in my seat, just to add to the embarrassment. >.<

Quote:
I think I might occasionally wet the bed; I sometimes wake up with the sheets wet from my chest to my knees, but I'm not sure if I peed or if I just sweatted a lot in my sleep. I hate, hate, HATE to be cold, so I sleep under a comforter all year round, and it gets hot in the middle of the night. There are two times when I KNOW it had to be pee, but the other times might just be sweat.

I wet the bed until I was 12 and this is how it was all the time. I often couldn't tell if it was pee or sweat, even by smell. Although, I don't really sweat in my sheets now unless I'm sick, so it was probably always pee and I just wanted to pretend it wasn't.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 8:24 pm

Grahzmann wrote:
I wet the bed until I was 12 and this is how it was all the time. I often couldn't tell if it was pee or sweat, even by smell. Although, I don't really sweat in my sheets now unless I'm sick, so it was probably always pee and I just wanted to pretend it wasn't.

Well then, in light of this information, it seems probable that I still wet the bed a few times a week. Ooh, that's embarrassing. :oops:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 11:51 pm

I need to wear protection due to a certain type of incontinence. I hope that nobody gets turned off by this post.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 3:49 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I need to wear protection due to a certain type of incontinence. I hope that nobody gets turned off by this post.

Not me. I know a few ABDL people who wear diapers. Many do it for underlying incontinence problems that require constant protection, and others do it because they enjoy it. It doesn't bother me at all.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2015, 3:57 am

alleviate wrote:
Grahzmann wrote:

I completely understand not knowing how to ask to go to the bathroom. It always used to be an awkward and uncomfortable feeling for me so I just avoided it. Thankfully, we don't have to ask to go to the bathroom in college. :)

See, it's weird because I didn't really have an issue asking in the classroom, but when lunch came, I just had no idea what to do.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 4:42 am

Grahzmann wrote:
See, it's weird because I didn't really have an issue asking in the classroom, but when lunch came, I just had no idea what to do.

I can understand that. It's about clear instructions. In a classroom, you always ask the teacher whenever you need something. But who do you ask in the lunchroom? There are lots of lunch workers, and they are all busy doing something, so what do you do? It was probably never made clear to you because an NT kid would know what to do. How they can just simply know this kind of thing without being told is beyond me, but I need to be told what to do before I know. The best thing is to have one person you can always go to to ask what to do.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 10:29 pm

I had weak bladder control as a kid--during the daytime I mean, but was usually able to get to a bathroom. I have also always suffered with bowel problems, and occasionally have had bowel accidents, even as an adult. Sometimes it's caused by diarrhea, sometimes by being too engrossed in surfing the web, and sometimes I am not near a bathroom at the time I have to go. This also all applies to my adult bladder issues. I am also overweight, which puts too much pressure on the bladder, and I sometimes drink too much water or other liquids, and then wait too long to head for the bathroom. At least I don't have a booze problem, as I don't care for it. People who drink booze tend to add too much liquid to their systems, and the alcohol is also a diuretic, which makes you have to pee more. It also impairs judgement, and makes you sleepy, all of which makes it more likely you will have bladder and bowel accidents.

I just wish I was better at tearing myself away from the computer when I have to use the facilities. I do have plastic protection on the chairs and bed, and I keep big folded towels on top of those, but it's still annoying. It's bad enough when others annoy me, but yes, I sometimes--many times--annoy myself. :wall:

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 11:15 pm

If it's light incontinence at home those puppy pads should help. If I'm not "wearing" and plan to be out and about I try to get everything dealt with and done before going out, but sometimes I have surprise attacks after ingesting something that turned out to be a trigger