How could I possibly befriend a Japanese person?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 11:16 am

Curiously enough, despite indulging in their culture the most, I've never encountered anyone live, online or offline... so, any tips on how, unless someone is actually Japanese here? I would love it if I encountered someone patient enough to answer language-related queries. :P

princessarachne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2015, 2:08 am

I can speak chinese but that's all I got. xD

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 2:43 am

interpals? i'm sure there's more than 0 japanese people there.

my cousin took a few japanese classes himself.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 3:54 pm

The only encounter I ever had with someone Japanese was in Germany when I was on school trip. During sightseeing we met another group of teenagers about our age. Some of them looked Japanese so my friend (anime fan) talked to them in English when we were waiting for our group to gather. And after a while one of the Japanese looking guys gave her his mobile phone number. Later she told me he apparently gave her the number because he was thinking she wants to get it for me. I didn't believe her of course. I was sitting a few meters away, not paying any attention to the group at all (I was not interested in Japan or anime back then although now it is one of my main interests). How could he possibly think I am interested in having his number? But I was happy she was able to get it no matter what tricks she used. I knew she really wanted to befriend someone from Japan.

I never asked if she ever contacted him again though. I was not interested.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 2:33 pm

I had a Japanese reflexologist once.
Met her through my Chinese doctor.
She was an absolutely amazing reflexologist
Probably the best I ever had
:D

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 10:00 am

Japanese is probably the third hardest language in the world, after Cantonese and Mandarin. It has three writing systems, one of which is kanji(chinese characters). If it wasn't for kanji, Japanese would be much easier. Also, the grammar is exotic and tricky. Don't learn Japanese unless you really have to. It will give you meltdowns.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 1:42 pm

3rd hardest, for IE speakers :)

i like their syllabaric system (or mora).

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

otherside2501
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2015, 12:46 pm

I lived in Japan for quite some time. What's the easiest way to make a Japanese friend? Either work at the same office, or go to the same school.

Japanese folks are very private people. Think of Japan as a nation full of Aspies (I'm very serious when I say that).

If you are intent on speaking to folks in Japan (and I'm going to assume that you're Japanese is limited or non-existent) go to the Tokyo page of Craigslist (the rest of the cities are nearly unrepresented) and post in the strictly platonic section saying you want to do language exchange. Make sure you state that you are NOT in the country, as many of them are going to want to meet one on one at a coffee shop to do a pretty formal lesson. Be open minded, the nicest person that I met this way was a women a good 30 years my senior that I still have tea with every single time I'm back.

Do not mention that you are おたく (otaku) if you are one. Remember that translation and interpretation are two different things. おたく more or less translate's to English as some one that is obsessed, it should be interpreted as something closer to loser. You're welcome to have a variety of hobbies, just don't forget that not everyone in Japan cares about the new Zelda game, Gundam show or Harajuku fashion.

頑張って!!

blessedbethyname
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2015, 3:33 am

There is a penpal site called Interpals.

http://www.interpals.net

There are many Japanese people there wanting to learn English. Why don't you give it a try?

Happy Holidays!

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 3:34 pm

Try going on the japanese blog site ameba. From there, you can go on to make a character on pigg as well. Its kinda like the "gaia online" of the japanese internet.

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

I'm sure this is a very late reply, but perhaps it can be of use to someone. Another site you can try is http://www.japan-guide.com/local/

I've got a few online friends who I met there.

There are usually quite a lot of people there from all over the world looking to make friends and pen pals, or become language exchange partners.

Also, you might want to create a 'LINE' account if you haven't got one already. I chat with my friends mostly on LINE.

Hope this helps.