Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2007, 5:06 am

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Just curious as to what other people's experiences of this is, given that it's supposedly a feature of AS. Do you know when it kicks in, do you find it more of a help than a hindrance? Personally, I'm not always sure when it's happening. Sometimes when people interrupt me I get thrown quite easily which is a little frustrating, I do move about and go to the kitchen to get a glass of water or whatever and take breaks during writing up an assignment but when I'm focused I think it can be pretty strong.

Not sure I've made much sense...

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 6:51 am

I find it so hard to start things though. Once I get started, I'm a whirlwind of energy, and it's difficult to do anything else.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 7:02 am

My attention span is so poor, so I barely finish anything without getting up and walking away and doing nothing at all. I'm lucky if anything ever gets completley finished, and really proud.

I can understand where you're coming from, though, I'm sure a lot of people here are like you.

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 9:38 am

when im focused i just zone into it...

and example was a timed essay i had to do for English Literature... we were told to just keep on until the time finished and we had 1 hour and 15 mins, i got about 2500 words done...

another time i was doing work in the morning on a computer... when i next looked up it was night-time... somehow around 14 hours had passed by, and i had been awake the whole time... it didnt FEEL that long.... wierd

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 10:43 am

there are different things that will happen with me at different time....
For example..I used to put on these benefit theme shows for a pirate radio I was working for....and it involved getting a venue organizing a buch of bands and promoting the thing...I would be completely obsessed with every detail until the show would happen..I made the flyer...promoted the thing...had meetings with the bands..(it was embarrasing because I could never remember who anyone was.)....um.....(and lots fo people thought I was crazy but went along with it)
For a while my basic obsession was putting together these shows
..But in day to day tasks..my attention span in doing the stuff I NEED to do is rotten...and i help run a venue..

paranoid_android
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2007, 8:57 pm

I can get really focused on one thing but only for a few minutes and then I can't pay attention to it for a while after. I wish it would last longer so I could actually get things done in a reasonable amount of time. The only exception is most tests because when I lose interest in one question I can go to another one because there's nothing else to distract me.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 9:26 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
My attention span is so poor, so I barely finish anything without getting up and walking away and doing nothing at all. I'm lucky if anything ever gets completley finished, and really proud.

Same situation for me. I really want to relearn Chess.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 9:31 pm

What do you mean by relearn? As in the rules, or were you very good?

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 9:40 am

All the time. Guy at work does this think where he'll look at me - I think this is the signal for me to look at him and say something (he kept mumbling something about how I ignored him). Normally, I'm focused and do not wish to converse as it takes me away from my work and refocusing 80 times is a bit frustrating.

Luckily, he now has a teammate with, what I think is his SAME personality. Since she started, I've said about 15 words and reflecting on it, I think I need to talk more :oops:

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2007, 10:04 am

I get over focused on things that i am obsessed with like playstation, football ect. And that is an aspergers trait.

But i also struggle to remain on something that i find perticuarly boring such as, reading writing, mathematics ect. And that is an ADD trait.

Erilyn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2007, 1:01 pm

I can get really over-focused on things sometimes. When it happens, I can get about 4-hours worth of work done in about 30 minutes. It’s about the only time I can ignore other sounds/voices in the room. But it can be shattered quite easily if someone talks directly to me, or if my phone rings.

This happens much more often with things I enjoy, like computer games and my cross-stitch, but occasionally it can happen at work. Too bad I couldn’t turn it off and on at will.

Freawaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2007, 1:59 pm

All I know is I've spent the last week writing a fanfiction (how sad, yeah I know). And I mean the last week, in the sense of from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed my mind is on it. I've blown off everything else and refused to speak to my parents. I'm only just starting to surface now. Wish I could get fixated on something that'll earn me money, or is at least original XD

When I'm focused in on something I have amazing output and staying power. Unfortunately it tends to be useless things I focus on. I spent seventeen straight hours playing Angband once. It came in handy when I was in college though--I could do a four thousand word coursework essay in six hours when I really had to. And thanks to executive dysfunction, I had to do so quite regularly.

Some day I'll find a job that interests me, focus in on it and change the world... :lol:

Interruptions drive me wild, especially when I'm engaged in a creative pursuit. Sometimes it only takes one tiny thing to break the mood and then I've got to spend another half hour getting back in "the zone".

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2007, 7:13 am

Thanks for the feedback on this. My attention span can be quite poor as well. Hmm.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 3:42 am

Freawaru wrote:
All I know is I've spent the last week writing a fanfiction (how sad, yeah I know). And I mean the last week, in the sense of from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed my mind is on it. I've blown off everything else

When I'm focused in on something I have amazing output and staying power.

Interruptions drive me wild, especially when I'm engaged in a creative pursuit. Sometimes it only takes one tiny thing to break the mood and then I've got to spend another half hour getting back in "the zone".

I spent this past weekend trying a scene in 3ds max just involving an skeleton and diferent render settings :oops:

And when I'm in the zone, I can draw/paint four or five hours without noticing :P

but as many said, it's hard to start...

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 4:19 am

I spend my life trying to get the good stuff working, then I am hot and very productive. Most of life is boring, so when I am going, I am known to growl at people, and keep working. The smart ones come back later, the dumb ones leave soon. If it is quick and bloody I can get right back into work.

When distractions are around I do not try, a book chapter has to contain a story of it's own, that fits the chapters before and after, hundreds of words and images, and then someone, who always says, since you arn't doing anything, and I blow them across the room. It can take a week to rebuild the image, and I never know if I got it right.

I do not have time for anything but me.

Nightcry
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2007, 4:32 am

Fraz_2006 wrote:
I get over focused on things that i am obsessed with like playstation, football ect. And that is an aspergers trait.

But i also struggle to remain on something that i find perticuarly boring such as, reading writing, mathematics ect. And that is an ADD trait.

I have the same but am unsure about ADD...
I can focus with scary intensity on some subjects and struggle to concentrate for even a minute on others.
I almost fell asleep in my general science class today. It is so boring! (Learning about heat transferance. Half the class couldn't seem to get the fact that cold never moves and heat does.)