Microsoft announces pilot program to hire people with autism

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 6:43 am

PS is anyone interested for them to do a IAmA?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 9:41 am

If Microsoft really, truly, employed autistic techs, Windows 10 update 1607 wouldn't have crashed and burned a couple months ago.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 10:22 am

xenocity wrote:
cberg wrote:
I've never been to college in my life and I get 5 email offers a month from Google, sometimes a few from Intel and the list goes on. When my resume falls short , I study for weeks before I reformat it. Why not just stay in academia? That's the direction I'm thinking about going.

Funny on the other hand, with all my double bachelors in Marketing and Management Information Systems, and Masters in IT Management, I cannot land an entry job and most internships.

From what I've been told from interviews and such:

I'm not educated enough both degree and certification wise (most certifications in IT require you to be working).
I don't have enough "industry experience" for entry level jobs and most internships too (I have three internships, tons of IT projects and clubs under my belt)
I don't have enough experience with the company's proprietary software (Well duh... I've never used it)
I don't have enough experience with high end business software (well duh... I can't get it at this stage in my life due to costs and other restrictions)
I don't have enterprise software experience (well most employees aren't given this chance until 6th year or higher of employment at the company due to the sensitive importance of the software)...
I don't know the right software (It's not possible to learn all the software)
Yeah I actually was interviewed for a job that required ~3+ years of enterprise software experience and wanted you to be recent college graduate who had been out of school for no more than 2 years. (this isn't feasibly possible)
I don't have enough networking and college club experiences (General Motors IT brought this up at my interview for an entry level job)
I'm just shy of perfect enough and they were going to hold out for the perfect employee... (Yeah I was told this at a job, where they really liked my resume and me, and they hit me up for the job)
I'm too rigid and formal during the interview (Yeah I've been told this)
I'm not rigid and formal enough (Yeah I was told this too)
I'm not young enough (I graduated from Masters at 29 last summer, still 29 for a few months)
I'm too smart (Yeah, this has been causing me trouble...)
I'm too __________ (fill in the blank with many words they have used to describe me).

My resume is great from what numerous interviewers and recruiters have told me, but according to the upper level and final interviewers, I need to keep it to one page but make it more detailed.... I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE ROOM ON MY RESUME FOR MORE DETAIL!! !

I was a founding member of my university's TedX club, I had place on the executive board.
I am a member of Association for Information Systems (degree club)
I am being initiated into Beta Gamma Sigma (the international business honor society) tomorrow for being in the top of my master's class.

I am really considering starting my own mobile app development company.

/venting over trying to land a job

My dad has lost many job offers when they found out he lacked an engineering degree, despite having a very detailed resume and career as an engineer.
General Motors was the most recent one to rescind a job offer they sent him over his lack of a degree.

If you want to become a professor, you will need at least a Masters in the given field.
Many schools require Ph.Ds in order to become a professor.

At least I have time to clear my backlog of video games... RIGHT?

I'm in IT and at 37 I still could not get a job in it. I applied to non-IT jobs as well including McDonalds, Publix, etc. I got no call back and had major problems with the personality tests. I'm on SSDI today.

And, you have a lot more background then me at 31 then me at 37 and you still can't get a job.

Read this and you will see how far down the rabbit hole it is.

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/ ... /?cs=42116

http://tinyurl.com/donotgointoit

I wrote this on my blog.

https://whyifailedinamerica1.wordpress. ... mployment/

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 11:05 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Windows 10 update 1607 wouldn't have crashed and burned a couple months ago.

Windows 10 is a really oustanding piece of crap. Sigh.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 11:09 am

xenocity wrote:

Well... I'm in the end of my 30-s, and I've had a long sequence of sh***y underpaid jobs in my life (despite I do have an engineering degree and a history of successful projects). If you have an opportunity to start developing your own product - just freaking do it. The only reason not to do so is if you don't have enough money to pay for your rent and food.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 8:51 pm

Not sure if I posted in here before or after working there but having spent 3 months contracting for M$ & hobnobbing with a sysadmin acquaintance who proceeded me in the same office, it would take a LOT of convincing to get me back in the door there. I squared my wage from Microsoft recently when I moved into general consulting.

Not to trash my coworkers there, far from it, they'd have tanked years ago if not for the predominance of awesome people they employ.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 8:58 pm

XenoMind wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Windows 10 update 1607 wouldn't have crashed and burned a couple months ago.

Windows 10 is a really oustanding piece of crap. Sigh.

Awesome GUI, no new backend except now you can get the Ubuntu Windows Shell for Linux for bash NTFS bindings. We didn't even use ten in house after it had been released.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 9:00 pm

xenocity wrote:
cberg wrote:
I've never been to college in my life and I get 5 email offers a month from Google, sometimes a few from Intel and the list goes on. When my resume falls short , I study for weeks before I reformat it. Why not just stay in academia? That's the direction I'm thinking about going.

Funny on the other hand, with all my double bachelors in Marketing and Management Information Systems, and Masters in IT Management, I cannot land an entry job and most internships.

From what I've been told from interviews and such:

I'm not educated enough both degree and certification wise (most certifications in IT require you to be working).
I don't have enough "industry experience" for entry level jobs and most internships too (I have three internships, tons of IT projects and clubs under my belt)
I don't have enough experience with the company's proprietary software (Well duh... I've never used it)
I don't have enough experience with high end business software (well duh... I can't get it at this stage in my life due to costs and other restrictions)
I don't have enterprise software experience (well most employees aren't given this chance until 6th year or higher of employment at the company due to the sensitive importance of the software)...
I don't know the right software (It's not possible to learn all the software)
Yeah I actually was interviewed for a job that required ~3+ years of enterprise software experience and wanted you to be recent college graduate who had been out of school for no more than 2 years. (this isn't feasibly possible)
I don't have enough networking and college club experiences (General Motors IT brought this up at my interview for an entry level job)
I'm just shy of perfect enough and they were going to hold out for the perfect employee... (Yeah I was told this at a job, where they really liked my resume and me, and they hit me up for the job)
I'm too rigid and formal during the interview (Yeah I've been told this)
I'm not rigid and formal enough (Yeah I was told this too)
I'm not young enough (I graduated from Masters at 29 last summer, still 29 for a few months)
I'm too smart (Yeah, this has been causing me trouble...)
I'm too __________ (fill in the blank with many words they have used to describe me).

My resume is great from what numerous interviewers and recruiters have told me, but according to the upper level and final interviewers, I need to keep it to one page but make it more detailed.... I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE ROOM ON MY RESUME FOR MORE DETAIL!! !

I was a founding member of my university's TedX club, I had place on the executive board.
I am a member of Association for Information Systems (degree club)
I am being initiated into Beta Gamma Sigma (the international business honor society) tomorrow for being in the top of my master's class.

/venting over trying to land a job

My dad has lost many job offers when they found out he lacked an engineering degree, despite having a very detailed resume and career as an engineer.
General Motors was the most recent one to rescind a job offer they sent him over his lack of a degree.

If you want to become a professor, you will need at least a Masters in the given field.
Many schools require Ph.Ds in order to become a professor.

At least I have time to clear my backlog of video games... RIGHT?

I really can't suggest ad-hoc & craigslist I.T. gigging enough. Clearly you know how to fix things, just pick 'em & flip 'em.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 10:01 pm

cberg wrote:
Awesome GUI

I find it horrible.
And it's buggy like an anthill.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 3:20 am

XenoMind wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

For me this sounds as 100% pure marketing. They didn't even write what apps or services they have created so far.

Yes & no; for one thing they employ more of us than they could possibly ever be aware of - I know I didn't disclose to anyone there - and product pipelines in OS development are BIG, yes even when everything just gets thrown together behind a bunch of sloppy contrived XML. There could be a team of 25 spectrumites in each of their buildings in every campus and unless they had their own census no one would be any the wiser.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 3:35 am

XenoMind wrote:
cberg wrote:
Awesome GUI

I find it horrible.
And it's buggy like an anthill.

I think it's been on a slow uptick but I agree. They have malware problems stemming from breaches & privilege escalations of third party peripheral suppliers, not at all something they could possibly handle under the auspices of that new OpSec lab they've been advertising.

At least Windows is more or less another Linux distro now thanks to the WSL. This is why I daily drive Fedora.

Last edited by cberg on 22 Nov 2016, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 3:40 am

XenoMind wrote:
cberg wrote:
I've never been to college in my life and I get 5 email offers a month from Google, sometimes a few from Intel and the list goes on.

Any special reasons for so much attetion to your resume?

17 years of itinerant hacking.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 3:51 am

xenocity wrote:
Microsoft's corporate culture is very strict and professional, this is what Bill Gates wanted.
Though it is supposedly changing to match the other tech companies.

Strict? Extremely. Professional? Keep dreaming. In trying to find words to describe my lesser bosses there, all I can say is yellow-bellied.

The office politics are nearly as bad as this election.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 4:23 am

cberg wrote:

May I ask what programs you wrote?

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 4:26 am

cberg wrote:
They have malware problems stemming from breaches & privilege escalations of third party peripheral suppliers

Nah. I had a problem when a routine update installation killed my system completely without a chance to fix it, so I had to restore from backup. I've never had such problems with any other Windows versions including infamous Vista.
They are just making up excuses, that's what I think.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 4:48 am

XenoMind wrote:
cberg wrote:

May I ask what programs you wrote?

That you can but mine was a CGI contract. It was Bing Maps while I was there last year before the division was bought by Uber; now it's just 'Maps' & ships in 10.