cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 4:48 am

XenoMind wrote:
cberg wrote:
17 years of itinerant hacking.

May I ask what programs you wrote?

That you can but mine was a CGI contract. It was Bing Maps while I was there last year before the division was bought by Uber; now it's just 'Maps' & ships in 10.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 5:03 am

XenoMind wrote:
cberg wrote:
They have malware problems stemming from breaches & privilege escalations of third party peripheral suppliers

Nah. I had a problem when a routine update installation killed my system completely without a chance to fix it, so I had to restore from backup. I've never had such problems with any other Windows versions including infamous Vista.
They are just making up excuses, that's what I think.

I can't say if they know about that one or not actually, it's just been my experience with the 'Reimage Repair' malware 2x this year, while I agree 10 is probably the worst go-around in quite some time, I haven't really heard any excuses regarding any of this stuff & that includes talking to a Redmond developer friend in person a couple days ago. I also watched it sniff for a nonexistent DLL on every boot for pretty much the whole first year upon release.

For context, the only Windows instance I ever really do anything with these days is a QEMU-hypervisored 10 Pro N virtual machine, it's ~32gb for now and runs no antivirus besides Defender because despite all the security hype I still feel barebones is the way to go. For that matter I'm pretty sure the 'N' Euro region encoding or whatever makes it a bit less of a target. No issues yet.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 5:15 am

cberg wrote:
I can't say if they know about that one or not actually

Yeah they know, for quite a long time. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... ad2?auth=1

No known fixes helped me when I had this problem.

cberg wrote:
For context, the only Windows instance I ever really do anything with these days is a QEMU-hypervisored 10 Pro N virtual machine, it's ~32gb for now and runs no antivirus besides Defender because despite all the security hype I still feel barebones is the way to go. For that matter I'm pretty sure the 'N' Euro region encoding or whatever makes it a bit less of a target. No issues yet.

Well, that's quite a different beast. :lol:

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 11:19 am

So, I tried to contact Micrososft about AMA a few weeks ago and haven't got any answer.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 4:26 am

As janitors?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 9:14 pm

I wish there was an autist hiring program for those of us who are not geniuses.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 11:19 am

Lonermutant wrote:
As janitors?

If you're asking about pay, yeah basically, skills however are demanded en masse. :lol:

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 7:37 am

Can we make the argument that the IT field is a wash and not a viable field anymore?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 2:20 pm

Sure, get me a megaphone. My supposed "I.T." consultancy client owes me a 15,000 dollar bill right now. 19k since I told him I'm not willing to do anything with that software except turn it off, unless he pays.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 4:17 pm

i'm wondering how long before AI takes it all over?

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 10:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i'm wondering how long before AI takes it all over?

Kill all humans!

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 10:16 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Can we make the argument that the IT field is a wash and not a viable field anymore?

Huh. Some 15 years ago I was absolutely ecstatic about programming. But the more I work in programming, the more I hate this industry. Too much "Asshole-driven development" everywhere.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 12:31 am

a fella named "dean betz" [a microsoft exec] attended one of our aspie meetups trolling for talent.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 4:07 pm

PM me for details & send the vampires to me.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 6:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
a fella named "dean betz" [a microsoft exec] attended one of our aspie meetups trolling for talent.

May I ask for some more details? How was he doing it?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 8:25 pm

I can do entirely too much with anything from Microsoft so I've been challenging myself lately hardly running anything of theirs. XenoMind's probably got more interest than me in handling this type of work directly because I've been angling for any way I can work %90+ remotely, in advisory capacities. That's also just if I'm not working adjunct between my contacts in the northwest & more scholarly developers worldwide. For that matter, at the moment I've had more interest coming at me in my ability to apply all this to telecom, smaller enterprises, open source, nonprofits & the like. We can form our own standards & integration groups!

We need many more cohesive means of organization for independent public & academic work in these fields, which calls for funding from the top. For now, real life has me oh so gratefully preoccupied but I have many strings to pull for you guys.