Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 6:19 am

Tomorrow is my last day of work and i am leaving on the grounds of poor mental health.

My parents say i can take a break from working to get more mentally well however my brother who works as a pizza delivery boy hates the unemployed and will become very jealous of me if i don't work and he has to work. When i was in a stage of not being employed for a long time previously we argued and got violent with each other and it will happen again. He would also say to me things like "shame on you for not working you lazy bum"

It will be very hard for me to get and hold down a job in the future and yet i have not choice but to live with my brother who will be hostile towards me for not having a job

What can I do i am so frustrated by this situation. :(

i am 25 and my brother is 23 in June.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 12:12 pm

Have a family meeting, if that doesn't work have a family meeting with a therapist.

Many people do not understand non physical disabilities and assume the person is being lazy.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2015, 6:41 pm

If you're eligible for DSS, you could move out. Living on your own would involve a whole new set of challenges of course, but it may help toward a recovery and eventually finding work again.

However, if you have to live with your brother, perhaps you could spin your situation. For example, you're working on your own things, studying, building new skills, etc. This would easily be corroborated if you spend the time developing a skill (which may be worth doing). Depending on your level of education, you might have access to pre-university pathway programs, or educational services offered at your library or local colleges. When I lived across the pond, those programs were relatively cheap, or free.