poll: would you like to know the cause of ASD?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Would you like to know the cause of ASD?
no opinion - just show me the results 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Yes please 44%  44%  [ 28 ]
No thank you 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Cautiously yes 22%  22%  [ 14 ]
Cautiously no 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Utterly indifferent 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 64

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm

GoofyGreatDane wrote:
Autism is most certainly caused by genetics.
Evidence, please? There are also the living environment, the cultural environment, and the family environment to consider -- all environmental factors that have little or nothing to do with genetics.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 6:17 pm

Put simply, there are many causes of autism.

In fact, there are some people who are postulating about the existence of AUTISMS, rather than "autism."

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 9:10 pm

No.

The wall of text pointing to the many causes would be more than I'd want to sift through.

Thankfully though, when they do find a cause I'll know shortly afterwards because inevitably there will be that one person who will yell out... "I told you so"! :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

I've voted No. Once the cause is found, the majority of expectant couples will be aborting their unborn autistic children. I'm 100% against the abortion of any unborn baby at any stage of pregnancy, because I believe that every human life is a precious life that's worth living. There's no such thing as a useless eater, this day and age.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 11:15 pm

Well, we do know, to some level of detail - a variation - one or more of many possibilities - in brain epigenesis causes some part of the sight and expression feedback system to not be there. That's early on, but it never goes away. This leaves the individual more or less excluded from social machinery.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Apr 2015, 1:35 am

I'd like to know so I can better learn how to mange things with it or how to treat certain symptoms.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 9:52 am

Cautiously yes. I would like to know.

Knowing might be a step on the road to a cure. I wish those who want a cure could be cured and the rest be left to be themselves, as should be their right. I can see only too easily how all help would taken from those who need it but don't want a cure, because society can't be bothered helping people who can be turned into Nts, regardless of the personal cost to the individual.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Apr 2015, 10:50 am

it certainly wouldn't hurt to know the cause. I am curious as to when we will totally understand autism.

TheMagnanimousKitten
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2015, 3:32 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've voted No. Once the cause is found, the majority of expectant couples will be aborting their unborn autistic children. I'm 100% against the abortion of any unborn baby at any stage of pregnancy, because I believe that every human life is a precious life that's worth living. There's no such thing as a useless eater, this day and age.

I agree with you! :)

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 7:20 pm

Of course I want to know.

I want to know exactly WHY my mind has to be different from basically everyone else on the planet.

Why??

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 8:28 am

Yes, I'd like to know the cause. I suspect that knowing the cause would make it easier to treat.

I'm going to be in the minority here when I say that honestly I don't think it would be such a bad thing if autism could be identified in utero. It's not that I don't think autistic fetuses have a right to life at all, but rather that I think they have a right to a good life. Obviously I am "pro-choice" though. As a parent I have spent considerable time with other parents of children with special needs, including Down Syndrome and what I have observed is that parents of kids with Down Syndrome tend to be almost always really great parents. That is not the case with other special needs (no, god does not only give "special children" to "special parents"!). I would say 99% of the parents that I know with kids who have Down S. are amazing, exemplary parents. My opinion, this is because they are the ones who CHOSE to have a child with Down S. They were prepared and they wanted it and they are doing a good job at it. Honestly, I think weeding out the parents who aren't up to doing a good job is a good thing. (My opinion only, do not expect anyone to agree).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 1:24 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
. As a parent I have spent considerable time with other parents of children with special needs, including Down Syndrome and what I have observed is that parents of kids with Down Syndrome tend to be almost always really great parents. That is not the case with other special needs (no, god does not only give "special children" to "special parents"!). I would say 99% of the parents that I know with kids who have Down S. are amazing, exemplary parents. My opinion, this is because they are the ones who CHOSE to have a child with Down S. They were prepared and they wanted it and they are doing a good job at it. Honestly, I think weeding out the parents who aren't up to doing a good job is a good thing. (My opinion only, do not expect anyone to agree).

Here and in other places have discussed that parents of down syndrome persons tend to be particularly good parents. Your explanation that seems correct to me. The genetics for down syndrome have been known since 1974. The amount of children born with down syndrome has dropped by 30%. The percentage of fetuses diagnosed with down's syndrome is unknown. Therefore those that conceived these children chose not to abort their fetus despite possible knowledge that their child will be a down syndrome person
New Study: Abortion after Prenatal Diagnosis of Down Syndrome Reduces Down Syndrome Community by Thirty Percent Charlotte Lozier Institute April 21, 2015

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

The cause us genetics. You can prevent it, it is determined at conception.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Yes, I'd like to know the cause. I suspect that knowing the cause would make it easier to treat.

I'm going to be in the minority here when I say that honestly I don't think it would be such a bad thing if autism could be identified in utero. It's not that I don't think autistic fetuses have a right to life at all, but rather that I think they have a right to a good life. Obviously I am "pro-choice" though. As a parent I have spent considerable time with other parents of children with special needs, including Down Syndrome and what I have observed is that parents of kids with Down Syndrome tend to be almost always really great parents. That is not the case with other special needs (no, god does not only give "special children" to "special parents"!). I would say 99% of the parents that I know with kids who have Down S. are amazing, exemplary parents. My opinion, this is because they are the ones who CHOSE to have a child with Down S. They were prepared and they wanted it and they are doing a good job at it. Honestly, I think weeding out the parents who aren't up to doing a good job is a good thing. (My opinion only, do not expect anyone to agree).

Actually, I agree with you about most points you make. I also think that we will have a deeper understanding of how the brain works when we figure this out. We are already starting to figure ways to enhance our brains and soon will be able to connect our brains to computer interfaces. Imagine if we could get all the benefits we have and get rid of deficits we wish to be free of...