Is suicide common in people with aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IHaveAsgergers1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2015, 7:08 pm

I have a very hard time with life. I got bullied as a kid, and was depressed all of middle school/high school. I spent most of my time in high school hiding in the bathroom during class and depressed because of how difficult it was for me. people always singled me out and bullied me because i was "smart" and "soft " and I went into a deep depression. I tried my hardest to be "cool" doing things i never wanted to do and getting in alot of trouble.

I never understand whats "going on" and i say and do things that anger people and cause them to beat me up

theautisticvictum
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

Usually, most people with disabilities and or ASD wind up having pretty miserable lives, so suicide usually is a thought of mind. I had been suicidal somewhat recently but that was because people have been forcing me medications so I can't escape in my mind as as the average person.

I suppose taking action is the best thing you can do as I am also speaking for myself.

I too am badly bullied, even as an adult.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm

I'm sorry you guys are going through this stuff. Have (both of you) got any "special interests"--perhaps in the scientific sector?

You guys should try to emphasize your strengths over your supposed weaknesses. Not everybody is good at everything. You could make your place in the world by emphasizing your strengths.

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2015, 7:35 pm

I've been struggling with suicidal thoughts a lot lately. Made a few attempts when I was younger.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 8:03 pm

Mr Vercingtorix:

You have at least one virtue: you have the look that many girls like: long hair, rock-n-roll.

When I was younger, I would KILLED to have that look, play guitar, be of a good height, and get chicks.

And you have the screen name of the guy who was the commander of the first army to defeat the Romans in Gaul.

Why do you feel sad now?

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2015, 7:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mr Vercingtorix:

You have at least one virtue: you have the look that many girls like: long hair, rock-n-roll.

When I was younger, I would KILLED to have that look, play guitar, be of a good height, and get chicks.

And you have the screen name of the guy who was the commander of the first army to defeat the Romans in Gaul.

Why do you feel sad now?

Guess I just don't live in the right place, haha. Women seem to prefer clean-cut folks around here.

It's quite a long story though..I haven't had the best life. Loneliness is a contributing factor as well. :/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

Where do you live?

I think, with your intelligence, that you'll make lots of friends--at least on this Site.

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2015, 7:50 pm

Upstate New York. I do have a few friends around here irl but we don't always hang out (weather is a big factor). I have other friends too that I know in distant places but I don't have the funds to travel and see them again, and also some online friends from other sites too. I think the loneliness stems from being single for so long and feeling isolated from my family.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 7:53 pm

Oh Man! Upstate New York is like Paradise to me!

I'm in Queens, NYC.

Ever been to a place called Hoosick Falls? I wouldn't mind retiring there some day.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 8:06 pm

Unfortunately the answer to the OP's question is yes.

Suicidal Thoughts 10 Times More Likely in Adults With Asperger’s

So you are not alone. A lot of times it is for the reasons you stated.

You all are my people or my tribe and I don't like losing any of you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2015, 8:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Oh Man! Upstate New York is like Paradise to me!

I'm in Queens, NYC.

Ever been to a place called Hoosick Falls? I wouldn't mind retiring there some day.

Yeah it really is. :) Very quiet and peaceful which is what I like about it. Winters are pretty harsh but I don't mind it so much.

I haven't heard of that place, but knowing all the falls and surrounding settlements around here it's probably really nice. I live around a lot of rivers and such, right near the Adirondaks and nature is so beautiful here. If you decide to retire there you've picked a good spot!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 8:50 pm

Hoosick Falls is on NY State Route 9 (which turns into Route 7 in Vermont). It's not far from Bennington, VT and somewhat close to Saratoga Springs.

narcolepticpenguin
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2015, 8:55 pm

Omg thoughts of suicide I do not go a single day without being like omg,this sucks so bad lets all just kill ourselfs wooooo! like seriouslyIits messed up.im right there with you my parents use to beat me with furniture,and bricks,one time my mother strangled me with a chord to make me stop crying(sweet memories)you need to find your nich in life,for me it was writing,I discovered the barrier of paper to people was my first step to stepping up in life.find out what interests you as a person and go with it,even if its something like earth worms,or scary stuff,making music,or working in a box factory idk.your life is just as important and meaningful as anyone elses,my high school one kid use to touch my man chest and scream titties,so I lifed weights and one day punched him,got suspended then wrote the newspaper about how my school was allowing sexual harasment. we all tend to get bullied,some more than others,what I find most important is you really have to look at yourself and ask what about me makes me proud? even if every day people talk down to you think,what makes me awesome? sounds like you are quite confident about your inteligence?well what is it that you like to focus your inteligence on? and go with it like a comet,dont let anything stop you from igniting that passion,people only bring you down when theythemselfs are feeling down,buddah said you cannot truly love unless you first love yourself,food for thought

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 10:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

From the article:

Two-thirds (66 percent) of the respondents reported suicidal thoughts, 35 percent reported plans or attempts at suicide, and 31 percent reported depression.

halleluhwah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2015, 10:31 pm

FireyInspiration wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

From the article:

Two-thirds (66 percent) of the respondents reported suicidal thoughts, 35 percent reported plans or attempts at suicide, and 31 percent reported depression.

I'm surprised at least half those with suicidal thoughts (and roughly 11% of those with plans or attempts) didn't report depression.

KnowledgeSeeker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2015, 11:44 pm

Where upstate do you live? My wife and I both as AS and live near Utica. We just moved to the area and are looking for company. We have a hot tub... Sorry your lonely.