where's the cheapest state to live in in th

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Mar 2007, 4:47 pm

e united states? im thinking about moving in a few years. its too expensive where i live, and want to get the most for the money i have. the south is obviously the cheapest but i dont want to live there. too many conflicts, & its too humid. i read somewhere online that a house in the mid west costs only $20,000! is this true? is it because a tornado could destroy yer house?

it seems like if you want to either live on the west or east cost its the most expensive. the more you move inland, the cheaper it is

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 4:59 pm

Those $20,000 houses are trailers, trailers suck.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Mar 2007, 5:03 pm

its a trap! i knew it. this leave me no choice. i'll have to move overseas somewhere!
somewhere were i can buy a house for $100
if your thinking central america you are correct. :D

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Mar 2007, 5:07 pm

Its likely average wages are lower in the "cheaper" places to live so it all even outs.

squier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 5:11 pm

richardbenson wrote:
e united states? im thinking about moving in a few years. its too expensive where i live, and want to get the most for the money i have. the south is obviously the cheapest but i dont want to live there. too many conflicts, & its too humid. i read somewhere online that a house in the mid west costs only $20,000! is this true? is it because a tornado could destroy yer house?

it seems like if you want to either live on the west or east cost its the most expensive. the more you move inland, the cheaper it is

I live in Illinois
A tornado rarely ever is strong enough to destroy your house. They are really rare even though they are supposed to be more common here
It’s definetally not something to worry about

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

Chimaera1618
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2007, 5:21 pm

Oregon is cheap.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 5:43 pm

Indiana's very cheap! I've seen 2,300 sf houses for only $135,000! 8O

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 5:47 pm

Hawaii?

Wouldn't have any heating costs and you would need fewer clothes :?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 6:22 pm

I heard Idaho and Montana are dirt cheap.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 10:49 pm

Arizona. Most of the prices you will pay anywhere are faielt equal no matter where you are. But in AZ the attitude is poor friendly.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 10:54 pm

nutbag wrote:
Arizona. Most of the prices you will pay anywhere are faielt equal no matter where you are. But in AZ the attitude is poor friendly.

Depends, the prices could rise very high because of all the people who are moving there. However I LOVE Arizona and would pay anything to move there.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 11:09 pm

I once read somewhere that Mississippi is the poorest state in the US! BTW, parts of Detroit are having a record high in foreclosures! You should snag one if you can!

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

21 Mar 2007, 11:17 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Hawaii?

Wouldn't have any heating costs and you would need fewer clothes :?

Its one of the more expensive places to live.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 11:54 pm

Well, it depends on what you mean by "cheap." If you are just looking at housing costs, then yeah, there are some pretty inexpensive places to live. But there are a lot of other things to look into besides housing costs. Also, when you compare the cost of renting money (i.e taking out a bank loan) to buy a house versus renting the house/apartment, the cost is fairly equal after taxes and other costs (both implicit and explicit) are taken into account. Regardless, you should also look at job opportunities, availability of education, even health care. You might also want to look at projected growth forecasts because an area may be relatively inexpensive now, but in a few years or so it may completely change. You'll also want to look at utility costs AND the tax rate. Housing might be cheap, but it might also be subsidized by a lot of taxes. Check out the costs of owning/driving a car in an area. Gas prices fluctuate from city to city and state to state. States might be very cheap to live in because no one wants to live there. Alaska is handing out free land, but if you live there you'll not only freeze, but you'll only see the sun about half the year. You might also want to take into consideration commute times, and how that effects your cost of living.

It is the economist in me talking, I know, but there really are almost an infinite number of variable to consider when determining what is "cheapest." It isn't just numbers involved; there is value as well. What person A considers to be tolerably cheap probably isn't going to match person B's idea.

Then again, Arizona doesn't follow DST, so that is a HUGE plus.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 3:06 am

Parts of NY are pretty cheap. I paid less in rent in Buffalo, and other costs were less as well.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 5:37 am

Lightning88 wrote:
I once read somewhere that Mississippi is the poorest state in the US! BTW, parts of Detroit are having a record high in foreclosures! You should snag one if you can!

I read that, too.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!