Shows that you watched as a kid and rediscovered later

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 2:29 pm

This was kind of inspired by the "TV shows you weren't allowed to watch as a kid but saw later" thread. Basically, has there ever been a show that you kind of "grew out of", only to stumble upon it years later and start liking it again?

I watched Thomas the Tank Engine from before I could remember until I was about eleven. I sort of let it go during the four-year gap between series five and six. Just last year I was looking up information on the show, just for kicks, when I started reading about what happened from series six through nine. I became curious, started watching the new episodes on television, and became hooked on the show again.

For a number of years I watched Power Rangers on television, and when I saw the movie on television when I was about ten, I gained a brief renewed interest in the series, even after I dismissed it earlier as stupid and kiddy.

Something similar happened with Pokemon, when I found out that my older cousins had began playing the games and collecting the cards again after it had stopped being "cool", and I became hooked again too. I haven't really actively played the series or watched the show recently, although I'm somewhat interested in the new games coming out.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 3:15 pm

Love Connection is one show I wasn't allowed to watch as a child because it was too raunchy. However, I like it now and it has grown on me.

Chuck Woolery still has as much charm and charisma now as he did 23 years ago. He is now 66 years old, but he doesn't even look a day over 60!

crazedchef
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2007, 3:46 pm

DejaQ wrote:
This was kind of inspired by the "TV shows you weren't allowed to watch as a kid but saw later" thread. Basically, has there ever been a show that you kind of "grew out of", only to stumble upon it years later and start liking it again?

I watched Thomas the Tank Engine from before I could remember until I was about eleven. I sort of let it go during the four-year gap between series five and six. Just last year I was looking up information on the show, just for kicks, when I started reading about what happened from series six through nine. I became curious, started watching the new episodes on television, and became hooked on the show again.

For a number of years I watched Power Rangers on television, and when I saw the movie on television when I was about ten, I gained a brief renewed interest in the series, even after I dismissed it earlier as stupid and kiddy.

Something similar happened with Pokemon, when I found out that my older cousins had began playing the games and collecting the cards again after it had stopped being "cool", and I became hooked again too. I haven't really actively played the series or watched the show recently, although I'm somewhat interested in the new games coming out.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I mentioned something about your avatar earlier. Now I know what it is from this post "Thomas the Tank". He reminds me totally of the evil train in Stephen King's "The Drawing of the Three". The train played a major role in the second book of that series.

I enjoyed Gilligans Island, Star Treck, and Hogan's Hero's as a kid. I occasionally will see them on somewhere out here in the world and will take the time to stop and watch just for the hell of it. Always makes me nostalgic for the simpler times before this damn War.

crazedchef

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 4:17 pm

Rocko's Modern Life and Arthur are really the only ones I can think of. I've either gotten completely tired of others or still watch them more than ever.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 4:01 am

Ninja Robot Tobikage (a.k.a. Ninja Robots).
I was 11 when this anime show was aired in Mexico. I couldn't watch it because my 6th grade teacher made me study extra hours (on elementary school I was something lke a "honor student", now I'm a bad student), for the pride of my class, that really sucked!. Then, when I could watch an episode, the show was cancelled because of low ratings. Now I'm searching for this anime serie, YouTube has only the first episode.

Karasu Tengu Kabuto (a.k.a Ninja Kabuto)
That show was aired in Mexico when I was 11 (almost 12), in that moment the show didn't atract me. Next, the show was cancelled because parents said it was very violent and demonic. Time passed, and I watched this serie on a cable channel, but only a few episodes :(. I need this serie!

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 9:05 am

crazedchef wrote:
I mentioned something about your avatar earlier. Now I know what it is from this post "Thomas the Tank". He reminds me totally of the evil train in Stephen King's "The Drawing of the Three". The train played a major role in the second book of that series.

You just reminded me of a passage that I believe was in Reverend Awdry's biography - the "Engine" part is important - "Thomas the Tank" is a different machine entirely! :lol:

I haven't read much Stephen King, though, so I can't say I'm familiar with that story...Really an evil train?

crazedchef
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2007, 5:54 pm

DejaQ wrote:
crazedchef wrote:

You just reminded me of a passage that I believe was in Reverend Awdry's biography - the "Engine" part is important - "Thomas the Tank" is a different machine entirely! :lol:

I haven't read much Stephen King, though, so I can't say I'm familiar with that story...Really an evil train?

Stephen King describes him incessantly for hundreds of pages and by the end when the damn train is destroyed, you can finally breath. He has a personality that is warped because the world is "Moving On".

Have to read "The Drawing of the Three" to really understand the loathing I have for that avatar, it is just spooky :lol: :lol:

crazedchef

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 9:09 pm

I never watched Love Connection when it was popular because I thought it would be too sleazy. I watch it today and it is very mild compared to today's programming.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 10:15 pm

Doesn't Chuck Woolery look great for his age?

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 3:39 am

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Doesn't Chuck Woolery look great for his age?

Indeed he does. I love Chuck. :) I can't think of any shows that I wasn't allowed to watch when I was a kid.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 3:44 am

Star Trek
Doctor Who(became a massive obsession for me)
A little known uk series of the '70s called 'Children Of The Stones' (amazing show)
Flambards.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 10:21 am

Chuck Woolery is still shining, even at the age of 66!

Do you watch GSN a lot? If so, then I'm sure you watch "Lingo," an updated American version of the five-letter-word Canadian game show of the same name.

I also like his co-host on that show, Shandi Finnessey. She holds a special place in my heart because she is a very strong disability advocate. Not only was she Miss USA in 2004, but she also wants to put mentally challenged people in mainstreamed school classes. Also, she has written a book called "The Furrtails" which is about an animal who learns to deal with his peers who have disabilities. She has also written another children's book called, "Suzanna the Banana." I have no idea what that book is about.

For those of you who don't have cable, you can also see Shandi as she is one of the celebrities competing on "Dancing With the Stars." She has not been eliminated yet.

Why am I mentioning her in this thread? It's because she was one of those people who really grew on me. When I first discovered her, I thought she was very pompous and rude. However, after reading her resume I had come to realize that she is very accomplished. I wasn't trying to pass judgment at all. I was thinking about the fact that, "You can't judge a book by its cover," so to speak.

By the way, I was not a kid when Shandi began to co-host "Lingo."

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 4:31 pm

Wow, I didn't know that about Shandi. Yeah, I was obsessed with gsn a couple of months ago. It was all I would watch, lol. My mom and I were crushing over Chuck, and I'm only 21. I hope that's not wrong. :oops: He is very charming. :D

You can also play Lingo online.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 7:42 pm

I used to be completely obsessed with Inuyasha and Rurouni Kenshin when I was 12. It's been a few years, but I think I'm falling in love with them all over again.

Grimbling
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2007, 10:42 pm

As an adult, I re-discovered Doctor Who in a BIG way, and lots of older cartoons like Rocky and Bullwinkle, Count Duckula... Always hated Roger Ramjet, though. Right now I'm really big on The Goodies - this ISN'T a kids show, but the ABC cut all the naughty bits out and broadcast it in the after-school spot, so it's often considered a kids show here in Australia. :D

crazedchef
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2007, 12:22 pm

Scooby-Doo, Where are you?

Probably smoking out with Shaggie :lol: