Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 3:15 am

People often tell me to search google scholar, such as by giving me keywords to search for.
I told someone in person last week what to search for on google scholar, and how many pages to look through for each topic, approximately how many papers were important and what they were about.
Ackshuly, I gave another person last week keywords to search for on completely different topics.
Today, I asked someone what keywords to search for on yet another topic.
I really love google scholar.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 5:15 am

tagnacious wrote:
This is not a safe place.

It doesn't have hugplanet.net in the address bar, just FYI and all.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 5:56 am

I think when people ask for a citation sometimes it's because the amount of information out there relative to the background information in their head is making finding the answer confusing. If something is confusing I appreciate a real person clearing it up. Occasionally they are being sarcastic, of course. I don't think I've asked for a citation without explaining why ("I've looked and can't find what I want and would like to know more because____, maybe you can help please?)" because I was afraid of a snide comeback. The couple times I did that the person was respectful that I was at a loss and not looking to be told to do for myself what I'd already failed at. Which I really appreciated as feeling confused hurts.

I'm not saying I think there was any mental confusion in this instance, just that a hard and fast policy of no citations would make this place less appropriate for all comers and I value feeling welcomed.

I can understand not wanting to look up citations as it would be time consuming and yes, sometimes people say it to dispute and provoke and waste someone else's time.

I will admit though I've never used google scholar and have come across it a couple times trying to find information, it was confusing for me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 11:10 am

No one proposing a policy of no citations on wp.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 2:04 pm

Janissy wrote:
tagnacious wrote:
One thing is for sure, the term "BAP" would not be this new word. BAP implies that the person has it easier than someone with ASD, like they really aren't impaired and don't need help. Its like, your weaknesses don't lie here, so you don't really need help. And that's not true. Anorexic girls are a perfect example. They look like they have it so together... until they get near death because they've been starving themselves for years.

"BAP" implies that the person's autistic traits do not cause significant impairment. But it certainly does not imply that they don't really need help. It's not like autistic traits are the only things that can cause impairment or that traits must be severe enough to warrant an autism diagnosis before there can be any help. You don't need an autism diagnosis to get counseling.

In my area, you say BAP, you get the near fatal eye roll. Like aren't you the special snow. Nobody in my area is getting that diagnosis.

BAP gets the same look as you saying you have Chronic Lyme disease or Fibromyalgia. Like oh...okay...sure.

If it gives one more insight to issues, go for it. BAP people here receive no Autism support.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 2:54 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Janissy wrote:
tagnacious wrote:
One thing is for sure, the term "BAP" would not be this new word. BAP implies that the person has it easier than someone with ASD, like they really aren't impaired and don't need help. Its like, your weaknesses don't lie here, so you don't really need help. And that's not true. Anorexic girls are a perfect example. They look like they have it so together... until they get near death because they've been starving themselves for years.

"BAP" implies that the person's autistic traits do not cause significant impairment. But it certainly does not imply that they don't really need help. It's not like autistic traits are the only things that can cause impairment or that traits must be severe enough to warrant an autism diagnosis before there can be any help. You don't need an autism diagnosis to get counseling.

In my area, you say BAP, you get the near fatal eye roll. Like aren't you the special snow. Nobody in my area is getting that diagnosis.

BAP gets the same look as you saying you have Chronic Lyme disease or Fibromyalgia. Like oh...okay...sure.

If it gives one more insight to issues, go for it. BAP people here receive no Autism support.

Unlike Aspergers, Outside places like this I have never seen BAP referenced. Lyme disease is known here as it started near here. In the summer helicopters drop spray over residential areas to kill mosquito and ticks. A elderly person across the street from me died from it a few years ago.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 7:00 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Well, this certainly was a first. In my 2+ years on WP, I have never seen:

a) Someone threaten to report someone else w/in a thread
b) A moderator tell someone to stop reporting others

I didn't say to stop reporting, I told them to stop making frivolous reports. :)
"Citation needed" is in no way a personal attack, and this person was clearly reporting because they were losing a debate and didn't like it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 7:03 pm

Dillogic wrote:
tagnacious wrote:
This is not a safe place.

It doesn't have hugplanet.net in the address bar, just FYI and all.

*runs after you threatening you with gigantic bear hugs*

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:01 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:
Well, this certainly was a first. In my 2+ years on WP, I have never seen:

a) Someone threaten to report someone else w/in a thread
b) A moderator tell someone to stop reporting others

I didn't say to stop reporting, I told them to stop making frivolous reports. :)
"Citation needed" is in no way a personal attack, and this person was clearly reporting because they were losing a debate and didn't like it.

Would you agree that saying "They said something I don't like so now I'm going to throw a tantrum" could be taken as a personal attack or am I way off the mark?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:05 pm

Whoops necrobump , sorry.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard