Every try medical marijuana for your ASD?

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2015, 7:09 pm

I've heard really good things about one of the components in marijuana called cannabidiol (CBD). Just wondering and hoping someone here might have tried a high CBD strain or a pure CBD tincture and what it might have done for you.

Thanks!

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 10:29 pm

The only one I know of was a truly horrible experience.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 3:34 pm

I tried the non-medical stuff for quite a while, much of which probably had more CBD than THC compared with the weird rubbish they sell these days that seems to be intensely bred for THC.

I'm sure it eased off my sensory issues and helped to relax me a little, and I suspect (but don't know for sure) that it may have helped my social performance. It seemed to help me find my emotional side and I felt a little more enthusiastic about most things. But I don't think it helped my executive function, and it seemed to antagonise my short-term memory a little, though not permanently. And it sometimes appeared to enhance my irrational pangs of anxiety and make them more physical, which works against it being a good relaxant of course. And ironically I think it often made me feel a tad too comfortable to get up and solve problems - in a word, lazy. And I found it quite habit-forming, though not addictive like nicotine.

It would be interesting to try CBD and see if any of the annoying effects still happened.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 4:04 pm

When I have done regular pot (no idea chemical content), it was not a good experience for me either. First time I did it I had 'the good stuff' (whatever that meant) and it was actually kind of frightening. Different stuff I've done a few times since was not bad in that way at all. I got giggly, but it really messed with my perceptions. Vision and balance became wonkier than if I were super drunk, and my sense of timing in my thoughts got really messed up. My consciousness became fragmented, and some of the fragments felt like they were in the future or the past and that felt extremely weird. Focus was lost, probably why my mind felt fragmented. I would have a piece of a thought but it would then be interrupted by another thought that seemed to come from a different point in time and I would still sense that there was another thought there. When I was talking or typing like that it took me forever to convey any ideas at all. Probably due to the weird vision or balance I was slightly nauseated the entire time.

Poor motivation

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2015, 4:08 pm

I really enjoy smoking weed- but I don't think it helps with any ASD symptoms.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 11:27 am

There aren't any medications for ASD's really and its a little like asking for medications for NT's heh. No worries though I understand what you mean. Im guessing you mean for sensory issues and social anxiety etc. MM would probably be helpful as long as its a small dose since pot can make you very anti social and withdrawn

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 2:27 pm

I'm with the people who had negative experiences. What helps me out most is a couple of beers and getting away from people.

Controversy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2016, 9:59 pm

I love smoking pot. But it makes me so dumb, that I will only do it on occasions. This summer, when I was on break between summer school and fall semester, I smoked it every night. I really enjoyed it, but by the end of two weeks, I was so, so impaired in my thinking. So slow. It took at least six weeks for my brain to return to the function it had before. I wonder if people who aren't on the spectrum become impaired like that? I met a stock trader who smoked it everyday. I wondered how he could function. I guess trading stocks in a high-anxiety field, so maybe that calmed him, so he could use his intuition on trading?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 11:31 pm

I haven't thought of taking it for reasons to do with autism. I have been thinking of taking it to help with the chronic pain in both heels due to tendonitis.

citoyenlambda
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2016, 12:05 am

I used to be a regular (every day) pot smoker for years and it helped, to an extent. I've smoked everything available in my town, from the crap people sell to high schoolers to incredibly dank (that is potent) hydro strains that got me blitzed off a tiny puff. I've also smoked hash, concentrates, and yes, high CBD.

If you truly want weed to help you then heed this :

I've found that less was usually more. Less potent normal buds were definitely preferable for me to Canada's finest. I once smoked a strain that would send me into a panic attack, every single time, and I'm not prone to panic attacks in daily life. Remember that THC is an anxiolytic in small quantities, but past a threshold that varies for everyone, it exacerbates it. As people with ASD are prone to anxiety disorders, I would recommend to stick with mid to upper-mid grade weed instead of the top dank. It's easier to gauge how much you're getting this way, and it's less expensive too.

As for CBD and high CBD strains, the chemical acts as a less finicky anxiolytic, since it works at any dose and never reverses course like THC does. It also doesn't get you high, which may be a plus or a minus depending on what you're looking for. However I think it is best to aim for a balance. Very heavy (say 25:1 CBD:THC ratio) CBD strains will do nothing to elevate your mood, which might not be what you're looking for. You will be very chilled, but you will not be any happier, which can lead to a sort of phlegmatic "ehhhh" mood which can actually be worse than being unhappy and anxious, in my experience. With a perfect ratio (1:1) you will get a little high, enough for the euphoria to set in, but you'll also have the CBD keeping you grounded and chilled. You'll be able to function.

For ASD I think people should use either 1:1 ratio cannabis or normal, mid-grade cannabis in small quantities. Depending on what you want from it you might also want to blend some 1:1 for the CBD and some dank grade for THC if you need a bit more. Higher ratios or 100% CBD oil should be kept for pain management and epilepsy sufferers. If you live in a legal state, 1:1 is pretty easy to get in dispensaries, if not, you'll have to stick with the mids.

My experience with pot is that it helps with certain things. I feel much more empathetic when I'm high and I'm more likely to want to talk with somebody. I also feel like nonverbal language is less of a mystery. It decreases anxiety (if you choose a strain well) and lifts my mood. I get very prone to waxing philosophically. Depending on the dose it can make you shockingly lazy, very sleepy or ravenously hungry.

Smoking once in a while is fine, even multiple times per week, but I would not recommend being high every day for years like I did. It isn't good for your mental health. It makes you more paranoid and it has a nasty habit of controlling your life to a degree (nothing will feel fun except when you're baked and you will seek the company of other stoners). I'm very glad I took a 2 years break. I think people who tout it as some sort of miracle panacea are way off (and annoying). It definitely has its drawbacks. But perhaps it may be an option for you. Enjoy responsibly.

I'm actually in the midst of acquiring a quantity of a new 1:1 THC:CBD strain. It's been years since I've last smoked so some of my more subjective information may be off. I will update with pleasure once possible.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 7:23 pm

We're usually expected to say that it's a form of escapism, but drug use can cause repressed emotions to surface.

F10ona1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2017, 8:19 am

I am really interested in medical marijuana or CBD. I have smoked marijuana when I was younger and didn't enjoy it much at all.
But from what I've read that is the psychoactive effect of THC. CBD has no psychoactive effect, and works great for anxiety, pain and all sorts of other things. And of course CBD doesn't have to be smoked at all, the tinctures look great. ( I haven't tried any yet though ).

I would love to see some research being done to look at the benefits of CBD for people with autism.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 11:01 am

No. I can't even stand cigarettes, having to take other medications is bad enough, and I find it extremely annoying and frustrating when every thread on this site includes at least one person whining about how unfair it is that it isn't legal and act like it's the cure for everything.

If I could I would keep my body completely free from psychiatric drugs and other mind-altering substances. I have had all kinds of horrible experiences with them when they were prescribed by ignorant shrinks before, during and after my Asperger's diagnosis. I hate them for what they did to me.

- I've heard all about how dope gives you "the munchies". I'm fat and obese, I don't need to eat more than I do already, which really isn't much. But it can also cause severe nausea and vomiting. I'm emetophobic, and with my luck...

- Pot makes people very indifferent to everything around them. Their house could be on fire and they barely attempt escaping. If anything thy might just sit there and be like "Woah man, fire looks like little orange dancing people".

- Smoking weed during pregnancy is no better for the baby than tobacco smoking or alcohol.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 8:18 pm

I've been using medical cannabis since mid February for a variety of health problems. People need to understand that not all weed is the same and each individual strain has it's own effects, so if one strain doesn't work well for you, simply try another.

So far medical cannabis has helped with my depression, IBS, arthritis, chronic pain, chronic nausea, sleep, asthma, stress and anxiety. No single strain helps all those issues at once, each strain helps in some areas and not so much others. The only real side effects are dry mouth, dry eyes, minor throat irritation and cough (only really cough on my first dose of the day), and if you take too much THC you can feel anxiety and paranoia, but that passes within an hour and simply adding some high CBD strains in with the the high THC strains prevents this.

Great thing about cannabis is that you don't have to smoke it, their are a variety of ways to consume it, from vaporizing, to edibles, to oils, to tinctures, to even topicals. It is the most versatile treatment I've ever been on before. It doesn't fix all my problems but it certainly helps with a lot of them.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2017, 9:11 pm

Noca wrote:
Great thing about cannabis is that you don't have to smoke it, their are a variety of ways to consume it, from vaporizing, to edibles, to oils, to tinctures, to even topicals. It is the most versatile treatment I've ever been on before. It doesn't fix all my problems but it certainly helps with a lot of them.

Can it be used for a topping on a cheeseburger? Asking for a friend.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 9:23 pm

Canadian Penguin wrote:
Noca wrote:

Can it be used for a topping on a cheeseburger? Asking for a friend.

Yeah though I wouldn't start with edibles if you are new to cannabis. Cannabis needs to be decarboxlyized(heated to a certain temperature to turn THCA into THC) in order to get the most out of it, as eating raw cannabis will cause most of the cannabinoids to go to waste. Best way would be to make cannabutter or cannabis infused coconut oil and simply add it to whatever you wanna eat.