Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 9:50 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
This sounds like the problem I described above re: myself. You are completely absorbed and focused on what you are doing - project at work, driving, playing on phone. So, you become unaware of your physical surroundings. At that point, anything that "breaks through" and gets your attention is a surprise of sorts.

This makes sense. I tend to hyper-focus. Now, I wonder how common this (exaggerated startle response) is amongst people on the spectrum.

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2017, 5:56 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
olympiadis wrote:
This subject reminds me of an old SNL skit called "The Frightened Family".

Lol, that was pretty funny, if slightly confusing! :)

I experience trauma symptoms as well, but my startle response has been there my whole life, even before the trauma symptoms showed up. It definitely got worse when they did, but it wasn't a new thing for me.

Same here

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 6:17 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
... does anybody else do this?
Not everything but plenty of things.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 8:51 pm

Certain loud noises definitely make me jump. I also startle easily when people talk to me when they're standing behind me.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 9:02 pm

I startle very easily, especially when I'm concentrating on something else. I have a hard time with planning when noise or other input is going to happen.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 11:48 pm

I get startled pretty easily, when I'm in my room and someone comes and talks to me when I'm concentrating on something I jump. Loud noises make me jump in general, it's kind of embarrassing when you get startled around other people...

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 12:02 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I startle very easily, especially when I'm concentrating on something else. I have a hard time with planning when noise or other input is going to happen.

You stole my post, word for word!

Pre-announced fire drills are the worst...

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2017, 10:21 pm

Amity wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
It never made sense to me, or others, why I had a delayed startle reaction when I was aware that the person was approaching me.
I still jump when the toast pops up even though I've been waiting for it.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 7:11 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Oh yes! They make me so anxious I can't breathe or concentarte on the lesson because it's going to happen and I don't know when 8O .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 11:21 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Oh yes! They make me so anxious I can't breathe or concentarte on the lesson because it's going to happen and I don't know when 8O .

Got some bad news for you...they don't stop after school is finished. I work as a software developer, and we have 1-2 per year in the office.

Somehow when going to school I'd convinced myself that they were only a school thing.
:roll:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:04 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Got some bad news for you...they don't stop after school is finished. I work as a software developer, and we have 1-2 per year in the office.

Somehow when going to school I'd convinced myself that they were only a school thing.
:roll:

Aw me too! I was hoping they would be done after school!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:46 am

StampySquiddy,

I'm the same way. When I'm deep in thought, I jump when someone talks to me and breaks my concentration.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:54 am

IstominFan wrote:
StampySquiddy,

I'm the same way. When I'm deep in thought, I jump when someone talks to me and breaks my concentration.

It's really annoying when people do that :D ! I also hyperfocus on things, so I can get very startled when someone breaks my concentration on what I'm doing.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2017, 12:42 pm

It happens to me sometimes too

BBC: Radio 4

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:26 pm

After I have recovered from my initial fright, I am annoyed because I have lost my train of thought.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:33 pm

IstominFan wrote:
After I have recovered from my initial fright, I am annoyed because I have lost my train of thought.

Yeah :D . Come on people, I was in the middle of something!