Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 11:29 am

http://time.com/3852306/baby-boomer-health-charts/?xid=newsletter-brief

Quote:
Despite increasing life expectancy, the aging cohort is less healthy than the previous generation

American Baby Boomers are more stressed, less healthy and have slightly less health care coverage than people in the same age group did a decade ago, according to data from a new report released by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 11:55 am

Yet they still are managing to take all the jobs away from my generation.

Poor motivation

alex
Developer
Developer

13 May 2015, 12:07 pm

cavernio wrote:
Yet they still are managing to take all the jobs away from my generation.

They're retiring though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 6:37 pm

I'm a Baby Boomer. I'm not retiring until the year 2023.

Just remember: what was presented was just a general assessment. Many Baby Boomers are healthy.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 9:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I was born at the tail end of the baby boom (1963). I hope to work as long as possible. Why?

#1 – I have no pension and do not expect social security to amount to much
#2 – If I was not working, I would worry incessantly about running out of money
#3 – What else would I do?

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2015, 9:38 pm

Odd that it doesn't mention cigarette smoking – which many Boomers have given up, but previous generations continued to do until it killed them. (Maybe people today are fatter and more sedentary than they used to be, but at least you can sit in a restaurant or theater without hearing several people around you hacking up their lungs.) And the part about "feeling stressed" is completely subjective.

Me, I never felt like a Boomer culturally, but if you draw the line at 1964, as some do, I am one. I have insurance, don't feel stressed, am not overweight. Plan to run a half-marathon this fall. Just weird, I guess, nothing new there. 8)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

alex
Developer
Developer

13 May 2015, 9:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Just remember: what was presented was just a general assessment. Many Baby Boomers are healthy.

You're one of the youngest baby boomers, however. The older ones are more than 10 years your senior.

LillyDale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 May 2015, 10:55 pm

If they were to break down those trends further they may see the reasons for the less healthy group. Boomers that are in mid to upper income brackets may be healthier compared to people the same age who have spent their entire lives in poverty. This is usually a difference of access to healthcare and other resources to maintain health over time.

Usually US trends show localized problems like poor health and poverty, or problems with obesity in the south that can contribute to poor health outcomes.

Many of the boomers I know are delaying retirement or planning to work forever due to not having enough retirement income. The Gen X-ers are where things could really get ugly. They might have better health outcomes since awareness of lifestyle contributions to health became more known in the 1970's and later. They may have better health but huge numbers of them lack sufficient retirement funding.

There is another factor that may drastically change health care. The current profit driven health care model that most hospitals and health care systems are using to make large profits and big expansions could dry up. If the government starts trying to control health care costs or we end up with some sort of national insurance system. Either one could mean that hospitals and clinics would have to charge sane rates for services and curb the over selling of procedures and diagnostics that might not be truly necessary.