Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 4:30 pm

I saw this last night and remembered seeing a post on WP about autism and gut bacteria so I thought I'd post it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/what-10-straight-days-of-mcdonalds-can-do-to-your-gut-bacteria/ar-BBjGIMZ?ocid=U220DHP

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 4:44 pm

Yeah if you eat 10 days of any food be it sugar, chocolate McDonalds, Oranges, Pizza, Arby's etc...
It will do a harmful number on your gut bacteria.

If you eat Mcdonalds every so often, it won't do much to you.
It also depends on what you eat at Mcdonalds.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 7:08 pm

There are good bacteria, and bad bacteria, bad bacteria can also make you fat.
How long will bad bacteria live for if you don't give them anything to eat?
In the Bible, Jesus and Christians would Fast for God, now I always figure God gets us to do things for him that is actually good for us rather than him, what good can us fasting do for him?, but maybe it is good for Humans?, maybe it kills off the bad bacteria?
How long should I fast for?
Do we actually absorb food, or are we just feeding bacteria and we rather absorb their feces?

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2015, 8:41 pm

It probably has a lot to do with the preservatives in the food. Preservatives are designed to prevent bacteria from growing, and therefore preventing spoilage, so it makes sense that the preservatives in the food would prevent bacteria in the gut from growing, if you eat it often enough.

alex
Developer
Developer

13 May 2015, 9:05 pm

has nothing to do with the preservatives. McDonalds is a place to buy food. What you choose determines how healthy you'll be. There are plenty of options.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 9:10 pm

I used to like McDonalds, but somehow it's just not the same after the changes made due to the "Mad Cow Scare".

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2015, 10:16 pm

I haven't eaten at McDonald's in forever; I can't even remember the last time I ate something from there. :?
That's a place on the top of my list of places that I highly dislike going to, and probably would never go to if I had the option of going to other places.

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2015, 11:25 pm

alex wrote:
has nothing to do with the preservatives. McDonalds is a place to buy food. What you choose determines how healthy you'll be. There are plenty of options.

It may not be only the preservatives, (they'll need to do more research to figure it out), but I'd be willing to bet money that they're at least partly responsible. Preservatives are designed to keep bacteria from growing. If you eat nothing but McDonald's food, they're bound to have an effect on the bacteria in your digestive system.
I'm studying microbiology in college and I have done preservative challenge tests in the lab.

And I agree about there being much healthier options out there. I call McDonald's "food" edible food-like substances. :lol:

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 1:53 am

Mcdonalds food tastes weird and their fish sandwiches are so plain. I prefer Burger King's but I have been on a boycott on the nearest BK because because instead of the big crunchy buns I used to see there they instead use the Mcdonalds ones and they put no tarter sauce in it. Based on there extremely slow performance, and failure with orders I think it's run by high school dropouts.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 8:15 am

I don't know if this is true or not but I thought that I heard that McDonalds was losing some money. There tends to be more health conscious people nowadays, so not as many people are going out to buy burgers as there used to be.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 2:55 pm

Nambo wrote:
There are good bacteria, and bad bacteria, bad bacteria can also make you fat.
How long will bad bacteria live for if you don't give them anything to eat?
In the Bible, Jesus and Christians would Fast for God, now I always figure God gets us to do things for him that is actually good for us rather than him, what good can us fasting do for him?, but maybe it is good for Humans?, maybe it kills off the bad bacteria?
How long should I fast for?

What fasting does is increase the diversity of bacterial species so there aren't just a few species taking over.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25763563

ncbi study wrote:
Our results show that caloric restriction affects gut microbiota by proliferating mucin-degrading microbial subpopulations. An additional intervention with a probiotic formula increased probiotic-administered gut microbial populations.

The study seems to have had people fasting for a week although the wording isn't entirely clear. They might have been some sort of on-again, off-again routine.

Quote:
In this pilot study, overweight people underwent a fasting program with laxative treatment for 1 week followed by a 6 week intervention with a probiotic formula

Nambo wrote:
Do we actually absorb food, or are we just feeding bacteria and we rather absorb their feces?

Both.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1492156

This study shows us getting vitamin K1 from leafy greens and vitamin K2 from our intestinal bacteria (bacterial feces, if you insist).

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 3:07 am

I remember an article I read about a year or two ago where a lady had a big mac from like 1992 or something and she took a picture of it every week for 20 years and 20 years later it didn't look any different. That's all I need to know to not trust McDonald's food, the visual evidence was beyond compelling.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 10:30 am

About the only things that I will eat at on the very rare occaisons that I go to a McD's are salads, chicken items, fries and their shakes. -- Their beef products taste spoiled.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 11:49 am

Nambo wrote:
Do we actually absorb food,

:arrow: :arrow: we absorb the vitamins, minerals, fats, sugars, etc....after our body breaks down the food

or are we just feeding bacteria

:arrow: :arrow: if we were we would starve to death, so...........NO

and we rather absorb their feces?

:arrow: :arrow: 1. bacterial waste is NOT feces
2. have you had no exposure to Science?!?!?!
3. perhaps a little less Bible and a little more knowledge would help you

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2015, 10:11 am

of course there's bacteria in food from McDonalds's.... When has fast food ever really been all that healthy?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:46 pm

Yes. I get it. McDonald's is evil. :roll:

Where I live there are at least 10 times as many Tim Horton's as there are McDonald's, so maybe it's evil, too. I've never noticed anything really bad about the food in either places. Of course alcohol is fine, it's perfectly okay to be a complete boozehound and get drunk for 10 days straight if not all the time, being teetotal like me is weird, being a drunk glorified in every movie and TV show, and no one wants to shut down bars. No, they try to SAVE bars that are in danger of shutting down even when their kitchens are full of what looks like of rotting maggoty science projects gone wrong. JEEEEZ!! ! :wall: