Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 2:49 pm

Which movies that are based on historical events and/or figures do you recommend? My sister's birthday is coming up soon {May 27th} and I want to get her a DVD she will like because she is a history buff just like many of you. Do not post documentary titles.

We already have:

Captain Phillips {Although she liked this, she said that Hollywood should have waited longer to make this movie.}

Lincoln {My sister is not a Spielberg fan, but she admitted that this was one of his better movies.}

Milk {My sister is a homophobe, but she did like Sean Penn's performance as Harvey Milk.}

The King's Speech {She liked Geoffrey Rush's performance as Lionel Logue.}

She does not want:

Selma {She has seen this, said it was a great movie, but doesn't want a movie to make her feel sad.}

The Butler {She wasn't sure what to make of this.}

12 Years A Slave {Same reason why she doesn't want a DVD of Selma.}

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 4:31 pm

My focus is military history. If she likes that stuff I might mention Patton, Saving Private Ryan, and Tora, Tora, Tora.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2015, 4:44 pm

Really only have a primary interest in war, but I'll rec a couple to check out.

The Monuments Men (Didn't get very good ratings, but I enjoyed it for what it was.)
Schindlers List (Mentioned she's not a Spielberg fan, but it's a great movie.)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 4:54 pm

I recommend Gangs of New York by Martin Scorsese. It's a drama about rival gangs in 19th century Manhattan and has been praised for authenticity. Scorsese loves New York so much and it shows in this movie (in a lot of his movies). He took care with sets and historical events. The acting is good too and I bet your sister will like it.

Spielberg can be maudlin at times (if that's what she doesn't like) but Scorsese is never maudlin and New York City is his muse. It's a fine historical movie.

wiki about Gangs of New York

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 6:12 pm

My sister does not like war movies either. However, if you know of any PG-13 war movies, post the titles.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 12:56 pm

Guilty By Suspicion: staring Robert DeNiro and George Wendt in a true life story about the 1950's Hollywood black list.
Truman: Gary Sinise stars as President Harry S. Truman. Not a well known movie, but very good.
The Whole Wide World: Story of the father of American Epic Fantasy literature, Robert E. Howard, as seen through the eyes of the one woman he loved then lost. I think a strong case can be made that Howard was an Aspie.
Pollock: Biopic of artist Jackson Pollock, starring Ed Harris, exploring his genius, as well as his struggle with mental illness and alcoholism.
Kill Your Darlings: Daniel Raddfield stars as American poet Alan Ginsberg, during his days at Columbia University, where he meets future lights of the Beat movement, William Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, and Lucien Carr. Ginsberg learns to accept his own homosexuality at a time when gays were a social pariah, and finds himself drawn into Carr's world, which careens into obsession and murder.
Cleopatra: While this movie is dated film making, as it is over dramatized, as well as over acted, but is still interesting for one who loves ancient history. Stars Elizabeth Taylor.
Three Hundred: Not great history, as a lot of license has been taken with it, but still it reawakened interest in a small force of Spartan soldiers who stood against the might of the million man Persian army. As your sister doesn't like war movies, this might not be for her.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 1:11 pm

What about a TV series?

I, Claudius is an awesome, old school history show.

You could get the DVD set for about $30.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 2:21 pm

@ Janissy: My sister is not a Scorsese fan either. Although she likes Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, she thinks that most of his works are on the same level as Spielberg's, in terms of tone and quality.

@ Goon: I don't know if my sister has heard of I, Claudius. I'll have to ask her about that.

@ Bill: Anything that features LGBT characters my sister will not watch because my sister is a homophobe, so therefore she will not watch Kill Your Darlings.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 3:05 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
@ Janissy: My sister is not a Scorsese fan either. Although she likes Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, she thinks that most of his works are on the same level as Spielberg's, in terms of tone and quality.

@ Goon: I don't know if my sister has heard of I, Claudius. I'll have to ask her about that.

@ Bill: Anything that features LGBT characters my sister will not watch because my sister is a homophobe, so therefore she will not watch Kill Your Darlings.

Sorry to hear that, as Kill Your Darlings is an exceptional movie.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 3:13 pm

^^
I do agree that it is strange that my sister is a homophobe, but she'll watch LGBT-related movies like Milk and the Kinsey biopic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 4:11 pm

^^
I do agree that it is strange that my sister is a homophobe, but she'll watch LGBT-related movies like Milk and the Kinsey biopic.

In all seriousness then, I don't think she'd have much objection to Kill Your Darlings, as it too could be described as just "LGBT-related."
Another movie to check out is Beat, dealing with many of the same characters years after Lucien Carr murdered his gay stalker. This has Kiefer Sutherland as William Burroughs, Ron Livingstone as Alan Ginsberg, Courtney Love as Joan Burroughs, and Norman Reedus as Lucien Carr.

Last edited by Kraichgauer on 16 May 2015, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 4:12 pm

Charlie Wilson's War. Can't think of any better than that.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 3:40 pm

^^
My sister won't watch any movie that has Tom Hanks in it. She thinks he's worse than Tom Cruise.

@ Bill: My sister won't watch anything that is related to the Beat Generation, although I do agree that she may not have much objection to receiving a copy of Kill Your Darlings.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 4:31 pm

^^
My sister won't watch any movie that has Tom Hanks in it. She thinks he's worse than Tom Cruise.

@ Bill: My sister won't watch anything that is related to the Beat Generation, although I do agree that she may not have much objection to receiving a copy of Kill Your Darlings.

What does she have against the Beats?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 4:53 pm

^^
I don't know, she doesn't usually explain herself.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 5:10 pm

Modern History?

Hotel Rwanda

Quote:
Tensions between the Hutu and Tutsi peoples lead to a war in Rwanda, where corruption and bribes between politicians are routine. Paul Rusesabagina (Cheadle), the manager of the Sabena owned Hôtel des Mille Collines, is Hutu, but his wife Tatiana (Okonedo), is Tutsi. His marriage is a source of friction with Hutu extremists, most prominently Georges Rutaganda (Kae-Kazim), a friendly goods supplier to the hotel who is also the local leader of Interahamwe, a brutal Hutu militia.

As the political situation in the country worsens following the assassination of the president, Paul and his family observe neighbors being killed in ethnic violence, initiating the early stages of a genocide. Paul curries favor with people of influence, bribing them with money and alcohol, seeking to maintain sufficient influence to keep his family safe. When civil war erupts and a Rwandan Army officer threatens Paul and his neighbors, Paul barely negotiates their safety, and brings them to the hotel. More evacuees arrive at the hotel from the overburdened UN refugee camp, the Red Cross, and various orphanages. Paul must divert the Hutu soldiers, care for the refugees, be a source of strength to his family, and maintain the appearance of a functioning hotel as the situation becomes more violent.

The UN Peacekeeping forces, led by Canadian Colonel Oliver (Nolte), are unable to take assertive action against the Interahamwe since they are forbidden to intervene in the genocide. The foreign nationals are evacuated, but the Rwandans are left behind. When the UN forces attempt to evacuate a group of refugees, including Paul's family, they are ambushed and must turn back. In a last-ditch effort to save the refugees, Paul pleads with the Rwandan Army General, Augustin Bizimungu (Mokoena) for assistance. However, when Paul's bribes no longer work, he blackmails the General with threats of being tried as a war criminal. Soon after, the family and the hotel refugees are finally able to leave the besieged hotel in a UN convoy. They travel through retreating masses of refugees and militia to reach safety behind Tutsi rebel lines.

The film's epilogue displays a series of graphics stating that Rusesabagina saved 1,268 Rwandan refugees at the Hôtel des Mille Collines, and now lives in Belgium with his family. It notes that Rutaganda and General Bizimungu were tried and convicted by the UN for war crimes in 2002, while also conveying that the genocide ended in July 1994 leaving almost a million people dead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Rwanda

The film itself didn't leave me feeling sad more like sobered up. Based on a true story.