Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

russdm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2015, 1:30 pm

alex wrote:
What does spying have to do with this? Wrong Planet is a public website so anyone can read the posts here; no spying necessary. :lol:

I felt that just posting that I post when I feel like I have something worth saying was too short and needed to put something more in. And I was wanting to have fun. Am bored somewhat.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 2:19 pm

alex wrote:
kicker wrote:
I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. (Sincerely) The forums do enact a "point based system" that gains certain "rewards" for the number of posts acquired. This is further reinforced by members congratulating, replying, and holding in higher esteem those with higher ranking in post counts no matter their content.

The fact that you have individuals who see it as a game and game the system (pun intended) especially in the gaming section seems like a natural consequence to having a post based point system. Being critical of their efforts to achieve something that is obviously important to them and causes no real harm seems overtaxed.

Just ignore them until they contribute something worth wild to respond to. They may be waiting till they reach "veteran" status to actually put themselves out there in hopes it gives them a buffer against criticism. Or just find it amusing and eventually will tire.

Most of these people have long surpassed the point of gaining veteran status. I don't think there's any reward for members who have that many posts; especially if they only post in the off the wall section. I certainly don't hold members with a incredibly high post-count in higher esteem than others here.

There's really no need to become defensive no one is accusing you or anyone of impropriety. You may not hold members in high esteem based on post count, doesn't mean others don't. It also doesn't mean someone may believe having a higher post count gives them an edge whether real or perceived.

It's a common behavior on any forum.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 2:25 pm

There is one person who joined almost a year ago and has nearly 12000 posts. I mean holy crap, it seems that WP must be his life.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 3:33 pm

kicker wrote:
I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. (Sincerely) The forums do enact a "point based system" that gains certain "rewards" for the number of posts acquired.

What rewards? All we get for increased post count is a change in status from Emu Egg under our usernames.

Quote:
This is further reinforced by members congratulating, replying, and holding in higher esteem those with higher ranking in post counts no matter their content.

Do you have any proof of this? It seems bizarre to me to accuse people on this sort of forum of popularity contest type behavior, especially based on something as trifling as post count.

Quote:
The fact that you have individuals who see it as a game and game the system (pun intended) especially in the gaming section seems like a natural consequence to having a post based point system.

Why do you assume that they are trying to "game" the system? Maybe they just like games and only games.

Quote:
Being critical of their efforts to achieve something that is obviously important to them and causes no real harm seems overtaxed.

Who is critical of them? Certainly not me. You are the only one on this thread who has posted anything about what they are doing that seems critical (accusing them of trying to take advantage of some perceived social status).

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:10 pm

Posting can be a way of validating your existence. Basically, "I was posting today. See. There. Proof. Here is my mark. I'm real. I'm still here."

And some people may not want to or feel capable of saying more personal things. Hopefully they're doing okay.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2015, 4:13 pm

I'm more curious about the members who have clickable profile names but nothing else. And clicking their profile leads back to the index page. Deleted accounts or...?

alex
Developer
Developer

20 May 2015, 4:21 pm

kicker wrote:
alex wrote:
kicker wrote:
I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. (Sincerely) The forums do enact a "point based system" that gains certain "rewards" for the number of posts acquired. This is further reinforced by members congratulating, replying, and holding in higher esteem those with higher ranking in post counts no matter their content.

The fact that you have individuals who see it as a game and game the system (pun intended) especially in the gaming section seems like a natural consequence to having a post based point system. Being critical of their efforts to achieve something that is obviously important to them and causes no real harm seems overtaxed.

Just ignore them until they contribute something worth wild to respond to. They may be waiting till they reach "veteran" status to actually put themselves out there in hopes it gives them a buffer against criticism. Or just find it amusing and eventually will tire.

Most of these people have long surpassed the point of gaining veteran status. I don't think there's any reward for members who have that many posts; especially if they only post in the off the wall section. I certainly don't hold members with a incredibly high post-count in higher esteem than others here.

There's really no need to become defensive no one is accusing you or anyone of impropriety. You may not hold members in high esteem based on post count, doesn't mean others don't. It also doesn't mean someone may believe having a higher post count gives them an edge whether real or perceived.

Thanks, although I wasn't planning on becoming defensive and don't know what impropriety has to do with this topic.

You may be right about some people seeing post count as a status symbol on the site. But there are members who literally only post in the off the wall forum. I know of one who has almost 40k posts and no avatar and I've never seen them post in other areas of the site.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 4:26 pm

starkid wrote:
kicker wrote:
I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. (Sincerely) The forums do enact a "point based system" that gains certain "rewards" for the number of posts acquired.

What rewards? All we get for increased post count is a change in status from Emu Egg under our usernames.

Quote:
This is further reinforced by members congratulating, replying, and holding in higher esteem those with higher ranking in post counts no matter their content.

Do you have any proof of this? It seems bizarre to me to accuse people on this sort of forum of popularity contest type behavior, especially based on something as trifling as post count.

Quote:
The fact that you have individuals who see it as a game and game the system (pun intended) especially in the gaming section seems like a natural consequence to having a post based point system.

Why do you assume that they are trying to "game" the system? Maybe they just like games and only games.

Quote:
Being critical of their efforts to achieve something that is obviously important to them and causes no real harm seems overtaxed.

Who is critical of them? Certainly not me. You are the only one on this thread who has posted anything about what they are doing that seems critical (accusing them of trying to take advantage of some perceived social status).

Answer 1: There's many different kinds of rewards. If a change in status name was the only reward as you claim why have threads like these been popular? 14,000 seems rather high if there's no inferred reward either than a name change. Are you saying that congratulations and attention isn't a reward?

1000 posts

Answer 2: See answer one.

Answer 3: I did include "pun intended" meaning I didn't mean it literally.

Answer 4: If you didn't find something wrong with their behavior (ie being critical) why did you decide to make a thread calling it out? What harm were they causing you to post the way they do, to not share the information you want them to share, to not complete their bios, to have over 6000 posts, to only post in the game forum?

That's the definition of being critical. I haven't complained about what they are doing, merely explaining it. Don't like my explaination you are free to make your own. Mine has been studied at length, books writing about it, etc on the social structures and how they are formed in online communities. Being an autistic forum doesn't make it immune to such structures or behaviors.

So why does it bother you so much that they post, don't have a bio, etc? Do you think they don't deserve to have 6,000 posts? Were they unfairly obtained? Does not having a bio make you less a person? Help me understand your reasoning.

alex
Developer
Developer

20 May 2015, 4:32 pm

I don't think the members who post in off the wall exclusively have ever been congratulated extensively. Maybe they just enjoy the games and don't care about post count. I'm not sure so maybe one of them will post in this thread.

kicker wrote:
starkid wrote:
kicker wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Answer 1: There's many different kinds of rewards. If a change in status name was the only reward as you claim why have threads like these been popular? 14,000 seems rather high if there's no inferred reward either than a name change. Are you saying that congratulations and attention isn't a reward?

1000 posts

Answer 2: See answer one.

Answer 3: I did include "pun intended" meaning I didn't mean it literally.

Answer 4: If you didn't find something wrong with their behavior (ie being critical) why did you decide to make a thread calling it out? What harm were they causing you to post the way they do, to not share the information you want them to share, to not complete their bios, to have over 6000 posts, to only post in the game forum?

That's the definition of being critical. I haven't complained about what they are doing, merely explaining it. Don't like my explaination you are free to make your own. Mine has been studied at length, books writing about it, etc on the social structures and how they are formed in online communities. Being an autistic forum doesn't make it immune to such structures or behaviors.

So why does it bother you so much that they post, don't have a bio, etc? Do you think they don't deserve to have 6,000 posts? Were they unfairly obtained? Does not having a bio make you less a person? Help me understand your reasoning.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 4:35 pm

alex wrote:
kicker wrote:
alex wrote:
kicker wrote:

Thanks, although I wasn't planning on becoming defensive and don't know what impropriety has to do with this topic.

You may be right about some people seeing post count as a status symbol on the site. But there are members who literally only post in the off the wall forum. I know of one who has almost 40k posts and no avatar and I've never seen them post in other areas of the site.

I barely post in any other forum, does that make me suspious or does it mean I get narrowly focused and forget there are other areas? Correct me if I am wrong, but you are running a site for people with neurological conditions, there are going to be 'strange' behaviors, fixations, etc that you or I may find odd, but are harmless.

I am just try to convey, that in the scheme of things, having someone who posts only a few words in one section over a great many posts isn't harmful and maybe instead of saying how weird it is it would be better to say hi.

alex
Developer
Developer

20 May 2015, 4:38 pm

Think you may be replying to the wrong person as I never used the word suspicious and also never expressed any sentiment other than curiosity.

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2015, 4:39 pm

Some people probably just want to escape from being reminded of how hard it is trying to live in a world suited for NT's. Or they would rather talk about games and such with fellow Aspies rather than trying to fit in on another forum where the same topics are discussed.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:40 pm

kicker wrote:
I am just try to convey, that in the scheme of things, having someone who posts only a few words in one section over a great many posts isn't harmful and maybe instead of saying how weird it is it would be better to say hi.

NO ONE HAS SAID THAT IT IS HARMFUL.

The OP expresses curiosity.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:42 pm

starkid wrote:

I just finished browsing the profile of a WP user who just joined this year, yet has already amassed over six thousand posts, apparently all in the games threads. No avatar. No intro post. No self-generated user info. Bland and inscrutable username.

If you're referring to the person I think you're referring to, he or she has a very striking username, which has an interesting historical origin.

Aniihya wrote:
There is one person who joined almost a year ago and has nearly 12000 posts. I mean holy crap, it seems that WP must be his life.

Not quite..... :)

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:45 pm

Games are fun and addicting, especially when someone else is posting as quickly as you are; it's sort of like playing face to face. I posted a lot in games when I was newer to the site; I quit because I couldn't post fast enough to keep up with some people. But I got to like a few of the common posters there. I read their posts in other areas with more interest than anyone else's because they have shown wit and intelligence.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 5:31 pm

DeepHour wrote:
starkid wrote:

I just finished browsing the profile of a WP user who just joined this year, yet has already amassed over six thousand posts, apparently all in the games threads. No avatar. No intro post. No self-generated user info. Bland and inscrutable username.

If you're referring to the person I think you're referring to, he or she has a very striking username, which has an interesting historical origin.

Aniihya wrote:

Not quite..... :)

Oh there you are. :D You found me even though I didn't mention you by name.