Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 9:05 am

Jaxom wrote:
https://www.freeconferencecallhd.com/playback/?n=asDM6/j5AcO

There is the link to the last teleconference.

I haven't had a chance to go to the in-person conferences but I will if I can.

4 minutes into the audio file and already talking about how living with someone on the autism spectrum is "oppressive".

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 11:53 am

Jaxom wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Jono wrote:
4 minutes into the audio file and already talking about how living with someone on the autism spectrum is "oppressive".

I listened to the first 40 minutes. If someone were to ask me if I was “oppressive”, I would respond: “of course not”. Depending on the day, if someone were to ask my wife the same question, she would likely respond: “absolutely”.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 12:09 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Jaxom wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Jono wrote:

I listened to the first 40 minutes. If someone were to ask me if I was “oppressive”, I would respond: “of course not”. Depending on the day, if someone were to ask my wife the same question, she would likely respond: “absolutely”.

I've listened to the whole thing. Really? So, why is it not valid for us to say that NT's are "oppressive" to us when they don't accommodate us in NT society?

Here's a hint: to a large extent, NT society is oppressive to us leading to everything from not being accepted socially to large unemployment rates. We don't have the power to oppress NT's in general because we make up only 1% of population and society is built and controlled by NT's.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 1:40 pm

Jono wrote:
I've listened to the whole thing. Really? So, why is it not valid for us to say that NT's are "oppressive" to us when they don't accommodate us in NT society?

Here's a hint: to a large extent, NT society is oppressive to us leading to everything from not being accepted socially to large unemployment rates. We don't have the power to oppress NT's in general because we make up only 1% of population and society is built and controlled by NT's.

Jono – From my perspective, this is not an Us (Aspie) versus Them (NT) thing. This is about specific NTs who are in relationships with specific Aspies and feel that they are being oppressed.

Please note, I am not saying this applies to all Aspie-NT relationships. I am not saying that I, in any way, represent other Aspies. All I am saying is that, in my situation, my wife would likely relate to the sentiments.

Just to be clear:
- I do not consider myself a typical Aspie. I don’t know what a typical Aspie is.
- I do not consider my relationship with my wife (an NT) to be typical. I don’t know what a typical Aspie-NT relationship is. Heck, I don’t know what a typical relationship is. My only insight into relationships is gleaned from television (and I doubt the Brady Bunch or Leave it to Beaver is helpful in understanding what a typical relationship is).
- I have no idea if, in my situation, the “oppressive” thing is a man-woman thing. An Aspie-NT thing. Or something else. Maybe I am simply a jerk. All I know is, based upon many comments my wife has made over the years that she likely would respond in kind as saying that I am “oppressive”.
- I don’t think of myself as being “oppressive”. I am not proud of being considered “oppressive”. Rather, I just don’t think my wife deals well with my hyper-focused, super logical mind along with my need for solitude.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 8:18 am

Rocket123 wrote:
Jono wrote:

Jono – From my perspective, this is not an Us (Aspie) versus Them (NT) thing. This is about specific NTs who are in relationships with specific Aspies and feel that they are being oppressed.

Please note, I am not saying this applies to all Aspie-NT relationships. I am not saying that I, in any way, represent other Aspies. All I am saying is that, in my situation, my wife would likely relate to the sentiments.

Just to be clear:
- I do not consider myself a typical Aspie. I don’t know what a typical Aspie is.
- I do not consider my relationship with my wife (an NT) to be typical. I don’t know what a typical Aspie-NT relationship is. Heck, I don’t know what a typical relationship is. My only insight into relationships is gleaned from television (and I doubt the Brady Bunch or Leave it to Beaver is helpful in understanding what a typical relationship is).
- I have no idea if, in my situation, the “oppressive” thing is a man-woman thing. An Aspie-NT thing. Or something else. Maybe I am simply a jerk. All I know is, based upon many comments my wife has made over the years that she likely would respond in kind as saying that I am “oppressive”.
- I don’t think of myself as being “oppressive”. I am not proud of being considered “oppressive”. Rather, I just don’t think my wife deals well with my hyper-focused, super logical mind along with my need for solitude.

Rather than assuming, have you asked her what she thinks of you.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 8:21 am

Jaxom wrote:

There is the link to the last teleconference.

I haven't had a chance to go to the in-person conferences but I will if I can.

I almost forgot to say, be careful if you ever do go to the in-person conferences. You don't want to get caught out.

P.S. This is very strange. How come when I click on Jaxom's username, it gives me the error message "the requested user doesn't exist"?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 8:34 am

Jono wrote:
[...]

How come when I click on Jaxom's username, it gives me the error message "the requested user doesn't exist"?
I've noticed the same thing with the Profile button of banned former members ... could there be a connection?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 9:31 am

Fnord wrote:
Jono wrote:
[...]

How come when I click on Jaxom's username, it gives me the error message "the requested user doesn't exist"?
I've noticed the same thing with the Profile button of banned former members ... could there be a connection?

Why would he of been banned? I hope not because the information he was posting here is useful.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 11:41 pm

Jono wrote:
Rather than assuming, have you asked her what she thinks of you.

Of course. She tells me. The reason I hedged, is that while she would tend to agree with the sentiments of the speaker, she would perhaps choose a different word to describe it.