Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ker08
Raven
Raven

22 May 2015, 8:59 am

I had a big writeup that got wiped when I clicked "submit" :( So here's the short of it,

I have OCD, primarily obsessional. I am debating posting about it on FB so people understand better why I don't answer the phone/text or why I won't do things. Also because I think it needs to be said to de-stigmatize mental health issues. And at least one of my brothers has an anxiety disorder and I'd like him to know he's not alone. But what I struggle with is this going to hurt me somehow?

Also, debating separately telling my boss. If I put it on FB I feel like I'd have to, but I've also debated telling him and not FB. He's a very understanding person and I don't think they could do anything to me (I work for the gov't and have had no issues in my evaluations).

I say that sitting here, wanting to go into his office and apologize for something I said yesterday that he probably has not given a second thought to. But it's eating away at me and I don't know how to stop it except to apologize. Afterwards I will probably then obsess over my apology and will tell myself that he thinks I'm insane. I've apologized in the past for a few other things I've said because I have major issues with guilt, feeling like I've said the worst possible thing to them they've ever heard.

FWIW I've told my mother who summarily dismissed the idea b/c "she knows people with OCD and I don't have it". No, she knows people with Compulsive OCD which I do not have, I have Obsessional OCD. I haven't brought it up again. I've also told 2 friends and my roommate. One for sure accepted it as no big deal (but she has GAD). One other seemed a bit uncomfortable but I don't think I alarmed her, more like "why did I need to know this?" And my roommate didn't say anything. Frankly I didn't get the impression she thought it was a big deal. I should mention all 3 of them do work at the same company, 2 in my division.

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2015, 11:15 am

Doesn't not explaining also hurt you?
Many people are likely to take it personal if someone don't answer the phone/text and they don't get an explanation.

ker08
Raven
Raven

25 May 2015, 6:47 pm

Generally I tell people upfront that I'm not good with texts/calls.

But you're right.

I just worry b/c I've read horror stories about being pushed out of a job b/c of mental health issues being told to your boss. And my friend with GAD who works with me keeps telling me not to tell unless I'm close with my boss which I'm not really. Not that we have any issues, but we aren't friends.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 1:14 am

ker08 wrote:
Generally I tell people upfront that I'm not good with texts/calls.

But you're right.

I just worry b/c I've read horror stories about being pushed out of a job b/c of mental health issues being told to your boss. And my friend with GAD who works with me keeps telling me not to tell unless I'm close with my boss which I'm not really. Not that we have any issues, but we aren't friends.

Remember there are NO take backs with FB.

You say it ONCE....genie back in bottle?....NOPE

CAUTION :skull: :skull: :skull:

Cole_Long
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jun 2015, 5:53 pm

I have OCD and I tell almost everyone whenever it comes up. I find that it makes things less awkward because most people will understand why I am acting the way I am. I also feel a lot more comfortable and free because I don't have to hide things about myself, which I did for a long time and was frankly quite exhausting. I've never regretted letting it get out there, but then again, I'm not a very private person. Sure, it might limit some opportunities that you might have had without the disclosure, but as Jean-Luc Picard said, "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are."