Page 6 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 12:47 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

This goes for everything the Bible references, including its heroes, heroines, historical figures and events. Look for evidence elsewhere that hasn't been merely copied from existing sources and it's likely the event happened. Look for multiple unrelated sources describing a historical figure, chances are they existed.

ANA the point is the bible is a collection of sources, it is not a source in its own right. I know little about the OT but in the case of the NT scholars are fairly sure Mathew and Luke are sourced from Mark and what they call Q, then of course we have the Pauline letters, some of which are thought to be pseudepigrapha others which are thought to be written by him. From his writtings it seems that he met with James and a few of the Disciples very early after the death of Jesus. Then there are the Nag Hammadi scrolls which I am sure you are well versed in, and here you have several new sources for the story. Using various techniques scholars are able to determine which stories are likely to be based on actual events. To me and many people it seems unlikely that Jesus did not exist. The main argument among early Christians was not so much to do with his existence rather it was his divinity. The gospel of Thomas is a very useful tool in sorting out the various accounts of Q and M along with Paul, and the other gospels.

Essentially I see the bible as some loose historical documents which have been stitched together and greatly expanded into an elaborate myth. I do believe there are enough independent, multiple attestations in the NT to say that on the balance of probabilities an apocalyptic preacher who followed John the Baptist, angered the Sanhedrin and by way of claiming to be King, also pissed off the Romans, and was summarily executed for it. That we have almost no Roman writings for this is not really very surprising. After all there was no insurrection associated with his delusions and so nothing of note came from his life. It is more the tall tales that were told after his death, by his disciples, to explain how he could be the Messiah even though he had been crucified, that led to his fame. Oral tradition being what it is, these tales grew ever more grand until eventually it is decided that Jesus was God.

The early Gnostics, as far as I am aware, were not divided on Jesus as a man who became Christ, Indeed Thomas speaks of how all people can achieve the same status as Jesus.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 6:17 am

Ana, I'd agree that today is still a mess and turning on the news to so ISIS/ISIL in the middle-east, concerns about things like peak oil, pollution from an increasingly industrial world, possibility of us refining materials right up into the atmosphere and thrashing the ecosystem to where things get a lot worse - I couldn't agree more that it's all there, or additionally that the 'thin veneer' of society is largely that, ie. it could all get taken away from us again. This is where I consider that God is in control of the mess, that it's a classroom, and in particular I tend to think of just how many nukes have been out there for 60 or so years and no more Hiroshimas or Nagasakis have happened since (people almost see it as a mark of paranoia to be concerned over it) really suggests - over and above various country's national intelligence agencies - that something or someone else has been assisting in matters.

IMHO if God's plan is evolution and more importantly evolution here we'll have our hands forced somewhat in that direction, we won't be able to literally burn the world down even if it seems like we make it out just by the skin of our teeth in a lot of situations. In fact it wouldn't generate sincere anxiety, nor be the kind of thing that could shape, influence, or really challenge people, unless it was something that seemed like a very imminent possibility.

That's just my $.02 though.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:55 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

This goes for everything the Bible references, including its heroes, heroines, historical figures and events. Look for evidence elsewhere that hasn't been merely copied from existing sources and it's likely the event happened. Look for multiple unrelated sources describing a historical figure, chances are they existed.

ANA the point is the bible is a collection of sources, it is not a source in its own right. I know little about the OT but in the case of the NT scholars are fairly sure Mathew and Luke are sourced from Mark and what they call Q, then of course we have the Pauline letters, some of which are thought to be pseudepigrapha others which are thought to be written by him. From his writtings it seems that he met with James and a few of the Disciples very early after the death of Jesus. Then there are the Nag Hammadi scrolls which I am sure you are well versed in, and here you have several new sources for the story. Using various techniques scholars are able to determine which stories are likely to be based on actual events. To me and many people it seems unlikely that Jesus did not exist. The main argument among early Christians was not so much to do with his existence rather it was his divinity. The gospel of Thomas is a very useful tool in sorting out the various accounts of Q and M along with Paul, and the other gospels.

Essentially I see the bible as some loose historical documents which have been stitched together and greatly expanded into an elaborate myth. I do believe there are enough independent, multiple attestations in the NT to say that on the balance of probabilities an apocalyptic preacher who followed John the Baptist, angered the Sanhedrin and by way of claiming to be King, also pissed off the Romans, and was summarily executed for it. That we have almost no Roman writings for this is not really very surprising. After all there was no insurrection associated with his delusions and so nothing of note came from his life. It is more the tall tales that were told after his death, by his disciples, to explain how he could be the Messiah even though he had been crucified, that led to his fame. Oral tradition being what it is, these tales grew ever more grand until eventually it is decided that Jesus was God.

The early Gnostics, as far as I am aware, were not divided on Jesus as a man who became Christ, Indeed Thomas speaks of how all people can achieve the same status as Jesus.

The New Testament is pretty much a book of Gnostic STORIES that were passed along from person to person.

Anyway, I suggest reading up on the Prophet Mani and "Practitioners of Ablutions." A picture will emerge of many cults led by charismatic types such as the Prophet Mani. Some of them were very strict, like the Elkesaites, who criticized others for not adhering to the Mosaic Law and early Christians were the targets of such cults in the region. What is in the New Testament becomes clearer after studying. You see, this Silk Road existed in Parthia and yes, it could be the origins of the early Gnostics who lived along this well traveled route, absorbing knowledge from a variety of cultures.

And Mani believed Jesus to never have been birthed. Many Gnostics could not stand the idea of giving physical birth so they would never say Christos was physically born into this world.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:57 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Ana, I'd agree that today is still a mess and turning on the news to so ISIS/ISIL in the middle-east, concerns about things like peak oil, pollution from an increasingly industrial world, possibility of us refining materials right up into the atmosphere and thrashing the ecosystem to where things get a lot worse - I couldn't agree more that it's all there, or additionally that the 'thin veneer' of society is largely that, ie. it could all get taken away from us again. This is where I consider that God is in control of the mess, that it's a classroom, and in particular I tend to think of just how many nukes have been out there for 60 or so years and no more Hiroshimas or Nagasakis have happened since (people almost see it as a mark of paranoia to be concerned over it) really suggests - over and above various country's national intelligence agencies - that something or someone else has been assisting in matters.

IMHO if God's plan is evolution and more importantly evolution here we'll have our hands forced somewhat in that direction, we won't be able to literally burn the world down even if it seems like we make it out just by the skin of our teeth in a lot of situations. In fact it wouldn't generate sincere anxiety, nor be the kind of thing that could shape, influence, or really challenge people, unless it was something that seemed like a very imminent possibility.

That's just my $.02 though.

If the past is any indication...civilizations come and go, and ours certainly could as well.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 1:33 pm

Cash__ wrote:
So you think that a Gnostic should know every truth known to man.

Only a real fool would think he knows even a small % of all truths.

Quote:
But if you reduce the number of truths, know that I do know some truth. Ask away and I will be pleased to share.

I will give you that our myths are just as weird as any other religious myth.

You though will have to admit that since we Gnostic Christians end being Universalists and not the immoral homophobic and misogynous divisive believers that Orthodoxy creates, that we are a cut above them morality wise.

And morality is what is important and not the myth we happen to use to enhance our seeking for God. God as defined as the best set of rules and laws to live life by.

Regards
DL

Yes, Everyone knows some truth.

Yes, I will agree you are better then the fundamentalists. But then again, atheist have better morals then most fundamentalists also.

That seems to be what the stats are showing.

Perhaps that is also why most Muslims countries are voting secular law instead of Sharia.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 1:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
[ I'm studying things that would make a lot of people's brains bleed I find myself actually becoming more functional and adapted as an adult rather than less as a result of it - which is a possibility of living, again, way off most people's radars.

Snipped for brevity but an interesting read. Thanks.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 1:43 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

That's scripture.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

I do not quite agree on why Jesus was made a part of the Trinity by Constantine.

I think it was for his own self-deification.

http://www.simchajtv.com/movie-secrets- ... istianity/

Regards
DL

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 4:58 pm

Another point I completely forgot to make when referencing the basic grip on the 'why' of material optimism or the belief in the 'redemption of matter'. It's a big one and I can't believe I forgot to say something directly to this point.

The overall idea is that the collective unconscious or collective subconscious is the subconscious of our planet. When you really think about it our archetypal symbolism and imagery is of our planets cultures past and present and anything foreign to our planet in terms of ideas were likely brought here though the inner planes; even that seems to be done in extremely small and judicious doses through prophets, world-renowned philosophers and thinkers, etc. etc. when what we'd think of a new or original thought comes to the surface. If it were the subconscious of the entire solar system, galaxy, or universe constantly bombarding us I'd think that's where we might throw in the towel and say were screwed but there's not much to suggest that.

The point being though - evolution and moral growth of a single person has a significant effect because we're not suggesting that this influence or improvement on the earth needs to occur through external means they inspire enough people to be like them; that's on the table as a minor component but it's only that and usually only would come into play after they've had a far more significant effect at other levels and places. People who take their occult evolution seriously are like pool filters for the collective subconscious, helping to clean out the junk, reducing the general level of negative and caustic temptations that people run into overall, and ultimately lowering the depravity of the planet even if only by a small degree if that person's effort is taken on its own. Sincere and diligent efforts that people make to get themselves right with God as well as make the world a better place register lasting residual effect on the planetary akasha - or at least so the theory goes.

Being that we're highly evolved beings with intense reasoning and mental and physical creative faculties it means that to the planet earth that we live on we're a double-edged sword; on one hand the planet suffers a lot of our angst and like a personal subconscious has the proverbial memory of an elephant regardless of human incarnations and discarnations. Sometimes I can't help but feel like that drives some of the impetus behind old entrenched blood feuds that some people's in parts of the globe has where, if a tyrant is removed or if a political force that was chaperoning them is pulled away they start butchering each other as if the craving to do so had been building the entire time that the previous power was in place.

Regardless, if a person believes in the kinds of things like Jungian collective unconscious, planetary conscious, etc. it makes sense - it's different degrees of the same substance, ie. mind-stuff, interacting and exchanging data (the very large collective being modulated by perhaps the very small-in-comparison individual or somewhat small minority organization) but it all would have an impact.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 6:05 pm

Oops, oh, my goodness; I forget to answer the question.

There are elements of reason and myth in the bible.

But the overall truth is, the bible is a work of art coming
from the creative mind of human beings; per free verse
poetic expressions in parables, psalms, and such as that.

This creative mind that generally speaking is the 'right
brain' is more related to social cognition activities,
including cognitive and affective empathy,
music, and yes, art in general; as well
as connecting in sensual
ways of human
connection.

Unfortunately, in modern societies
as culture becomes more of a 'left
brained' way of mechanical cognition;
the development of the art of mind is
failing among the general populaces as humans
become more like machines than the balanced
connecting works of art they are overall evolved
to be. The overall result of this is humans are no
longer creating new ways of looking at the world in
artful ways of being. Instead, the words of others becomes
gold; including the works of art in the past; like the bible
in all its gold and tainted human art of life. That's a real
problem being stuck in the past; whether it is the bible, science,
or even the strangest of pagan and or occult beliefs. Truly Aleister
Crowley gets one thing correct. Human relative free will with LOVE
in do as thou wilt; instead of following the rules of times gone past,
is the way of true freedom of human expression. I thrive as I do not
limit my learning to any avenue; any TYPE of person; per standard IQ
or anything else. This world is big and everyone has something worth
while to say; for those who listen, learn, and do learn something, at
least, from the greatest to the least; where the meek often
have the greatest lessons of all to learn
about a simple life
of LOVE and
HUMAN RELATIVE
FREE WILL IN MIND
AND BODY
BALANCE;
like the other
really smart
animals who
live this
way.

The rest of it; most of it
anyway; as far as intellectual
pursuits; is mental masturbation
by the time the game of love is over
for the time
being
now
in human
relative free
WILL.

But yeah
'THAT'S FUN TOO..:)

People will not
STOP that either..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 6:09 pm

ANA. As I understand early gnostic history, there was little debate about Jesus as a man. The whole "Jesus as Incarnate god" came a little later, followed by the idea that he never entered the material realm. As for Mani and his followers, as far as I am aware it is not Jesus birth that they are concerned about, rather they see him as a false prophet, so I don't really understand what you are trying to say by this "And Mani believed Jesus to never have been birthed. Many Gnostics could not stand the idea of giving physical birth so they would never say Christos was physically born into this world". From what I can tell Mani thought of Jesus as a living breathing person.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 7:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The New Testament is pretty much a book of Gnostic STORIES

Evidence please. I will accept that there are are gnostic writings that were not included in the bible. But it is true that no gnostic writings have been found that predate Christianity.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 11:29 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
The evidence of the fact that Jesus taught that we live in the kingdom of God should open your eyes to it but that is what see from my view and I should try harder to see it from your inferior view. Just kidding this time.

You are correct that we should show more uniformity and fellowship. I am just so used to fighting literalism because of the evil I see in it that I do a knee jerk reaction to it. Especially when I see someone like you with such potential. My bad.

I use the words evolving perfection because when I think of this concept I look at the same thing at all points in time of it's existence.

I begin the logic trail by looking at creation, be it from nature which I believe, or from a God which I do not.

All life is produced for the best possible end. If you have children, you will confirm that you tried to start them off towards the best possible end. Nothing and no one creates anything for a poor end. Hence this quote.

"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

Having said that, think of yourself, flaws and all, kidding again but serious as well, in the first hour when you were born. Whatever you were, you were created as perfect as your DNA and environment could produce. Life would have it no other way. That you I call perfect. The next hour you moved from that perfection to a more perfect baby that learned to reach for the tit. You evolved your initial perfect self to a new perfect condition. That progression never stops and so we can say that you are always perfect, even if you have flaws, at all points in time.

Candid, the play, states it as we are always living in the best of all possible worlds, because this is the only possible world. The same can be said for you. You are the best you can be because you are the only you that you can possibly be. I, instead of using best possible over time, use the term evolving perfection.

This is not an easy concept to grasp, especially with me using the term evolving perfection. Most are used to using the word perfect as a finished and stagnant non-evolving form. If you have a tough time with it just think good moving to better all the time. You are always the best you can ever be. That does not mean that you cannot improve. You can but even as you improve, you are still the best you can be at any given point in time.

Regards
DL

In that case, since I am the best that I can be at any point in time, you shouldn't be critical of me because you just said I am my best, non? You should revere my words since I am at my best at any point in time, right? And agree with me! :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 11:37 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The New Testament is pretty much a book of Gnostic STORIES

Evidence please. I will accept that there are are gnostic writings that were not included in the bible. But it is true that no gnostic writings have been found that predate Christianity.

Uh, the evidence is every copy of the NT you have ever picked up. There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary. It's just words in a book, nothing to back it up. Nothing suggests it simply hasn't been retold. You are aware Luke, a Gospel writer, wasn't even alive when Christos, supposedly, was. This means he can do nothing but write down stories. He is quite limited in his perception.

I thought science demanded evidence of something for it to be considered fact. Well, there's no evidence the NT is anything but stories. If you can find me evidence of who, exactly, Jesus was, where he lived, who were his parents, not just first names, detailed information about where he spent his childhood and went to school. The details in the NT are quite sketchy. We do not know much about him as a person, do we? How strange. We know he talked to people, performed a miracle here and there, got angry in a temple, but what about the info we need to figure out who he is? It''s not in any of those books. We do not even have any clue to his birth date except a conjunction called a 'star' is mentioned but people dispute what, exactly, this star was. Most people believe he wasn't born at Christmas yet that's when Christians celebrate his birthday. So you see, there's much to be wary of. We have a birth story that is made to resemble a prophecy in another Bible book as much as it possibly can...which means, it might not even be true.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 12:49 am

Okay... this thread now clearly needs a "all Christian holidays originated from Pagan-Festivals" video...

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 10:26 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Regardless, if a person believes in the kinds of things like Jungian collective unconscious, planetary conscious, etc. it makes sense - it's different degrees of the same substance, ie. mind-stuff, interacting and exchanging data (the very large collective being modulated by perhaps the very small-in-comparison individual or somewhat small minority organization) but it all would have an impact.

Interesting but sniped for brevity.

It is possible that science is getting closer to proving where I went telepathically the one time years ago.

https://vimeo.com/26318064

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 10:30 am

aghogday wrote:
Oops, oh, my goodness; I forget to answer the question.

There are elements of reason and myth in the bible.

But the overall truth is, the bible is a work of art coming
from the creative mind of human beings; per free verse
poetic expressions in parables, psalms, and such as that.

This creative mind that generally speaking is the 'right
brain' is more related to social cognition activities,
including cognitive and affective empathy,
music, and yes, art in general; as well
as connecting in sensual
ways of human
connection.

Unfortunately, in modern societies
as culture becomes more of a 'left
brained' way of mechanical cognition;
the development of the art of mind is
failing among the general populaces as humans
become more like machines than the balanced
connecting works of art they are overall evolved
to be. The overall result of this is humans are no
longer creating new ways of looking at the world in
artful ways of being. Instead, the words of others becomes
gold; including the works of art in the past; like the bible
in all its gold and tainted human art of life. That's a real
problem being stuck in the past; whether it is the bible, science,
or even the strangest of pagan and or occult beliefs. Truly Aleister
Crowley gets one thing correct. Human relative free will with LOVE
in do as thou wilt; instead of following the rules of times gone past,
is the way of true freedom of human expression. I thrive as I do not
limit my learning to any avenue; any TYPE of person; per standard IQ
or anything else. This world is big and everyone has something worth
while to say; for those who listen, learn, and do learn something, at
least, from the greatest to the least; where the meek often
have the greatest lessons of all to learn
about a simple life
of LOVE and
HUMAN RELATIVE
FREE WILL IN MIND
AND BODY
BALANCE;
like the other
really smart
animals who
live this
way.

The rest of it; most of it
anyway; as far as intellectual
pursuits; is mental masturbation
by the time the game of love is over
for the time
being
now
in human
relative free
WILL.

But yeah
'THAT'S FUN TOO..:)

People will not
STOP that either..;)

Some of this makes sense but your mental masturbation is a turn off.

You have been told this by a number of us.

Regards
DL