Are people in the eastern US nicer than people out West?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Marduk1965
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2015, 12:22 pm

I was born in the Bay Area of California and when I went the for active duty I couldn't believe the way many of the people were. The acted like you had to be a native to be of any worth. I told them I was in fact a native just to tick them off. There were also plenty of decent people there.

I liked San Diego a little better. My favorite city is Bryan, TX. The homophobes are few and far between and the racists are quiet about it but also easy enough to stay away from.

It seems that my experiences have been based more on how I Dressed and which neighborhoods i was in. My mom is from Michigan but I was almost beat up in Detroit by someone who thought I was picking on my cousin (Female) too much and wanted to show her what a man he is. By picking on, what I was doing was playing the way she and I do or did back then.

When we lived in Virginia Beach there was prejudice and rudeness. There were also impolite people and unhelpful people. This was in the 70s and we were a Navy family so living in poor housing (trailers).

The people where I live now are pretty nice until they get on the road. Some do screw with me for being different.

I really wish I could move back to the Bryan, TX area but since we have a house that is paid for it would be a lot of money that we don't have in order to move.

There is bad pretty much anywhere, there is good in lot of places that I just didn't get to see.

Leester
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 1:59 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't treated well on the west coast. I've been living here in Orange County,CA for almost 7 years now and it was the best decision my family made. I am originally from Southeast Wisconsin. I was born there, as well as my parents, my grandparents, my great grandparents and my great great grandparents. Our family living in Wisconsin goes back to the 1840's-1850's. But I will tell you this. People here are wonderful and very helpful. The community college system here is awesome and I just finished my 4th level of Japanese. I would have never been able to do that while living in the Milwaukee area. There is so much to do here (yosemite, san fransisco, san diego, hollywood etc) I just don't know how we lived without California and my family lived all those years in Wisconsin. My grandma's dad back in the 1930's during the depression wanted to move out to California because of work opportunities but couldn't because he had family living back there. Now, I never went to high school out here in California so I don't know what it's like to go to school out here (the reason why is that the high school system in Wisconsin is much better than California) but to me it does not matter because I am here now. I have run into a couple jerks here in California (mainly on the road while driving) but nothing really too bad. Most of the people who live here are not from California and were born somewhere else. (China, France, Brazil, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Texas, Michigan,New York, Illinois, Minnesota and of course my home state Wisconsin!). Also the Orange County Asperger's Support group is a plus! I just don't understand it when so many people complain about living in California. I was just like you 8 years ago and had my doubts about it, but those have all subsided completely. My family loves living here and we are not going back to Wisconsin. This place is paradise and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 7:51 pm

You may not have to move that far to find nice people--there were some really nasty people at the apartment complex where I used to live--everyone is really nice in the neighborhood where I bought the house--just a few miles away. Same thing with the people you deal with in stores and restaurants--you may just need to change where you eat and shop to find people you get along with.

I think it is unfair to judge an area by how badly you got treated in school--that pretty much happens everywhere to Aspies--unless you are lucky enough to go to one of those top notch schools that get to kick the malcontents out. The President went to one of those schools.