Are people in the eastern US nicer than people out West?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2015, 9:57 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
People in south are really nice.
If your not a minority, gay or nonCatholic

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 29 May 2015, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 10:08 pm

I like the West Coast.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 12:10 am

I live in Colorado, and there are some people like you describe...but it kind of depends on where you are, certain areas have more sort of stuck up yuppies and other areas are much more laid back. I live sort of around Denver but west of it and most people I associate seem pretty cool and aren't really stuck up...and I've met quite a few people since my brother and his friend who I've also become friends with are rather popular in the area so I feel I've met quite a few locals. Before when I was in middle and highschool for most of that I lived in a smallish town but with lots of houses surrounding it and a lot of people there where more stuck up...though I spent one year on the west side of the mountains where a lot of people where friendlier and the ones who weren't where at least more direct about if they had a problem with you or didn't like you...than playing games and talking behind your back. I was also in Grand Junction for a year in college where there where friendly people, b*tchy people and mellow people actually quite a variety.

Also it seems most people don't really care much about race, within the circle of people I know there are people of various races or mixtures I guess mostly northern european white, hispanic and native if one wants to get technical but certainly not limited to that though I don't really know anyone of Asian decent but it seems a lot of them keep to themselves or to their kind not like me and people I know actively avoid them. Also maybe its not just colorado per say but seems people are pretty open to homosexuality and bisexuality and not following traditional gender roles its basically treated as normal for the most part from what I see which is a good thing. Also most people I've spent any time around in this Denver area don't seem dull and boring, though I've seen people who appear to be dull and boring give dirty looks to me and people I am hanging out with. I guess maybe it depends on who you know and associate with because there are certainly stuck up jerks, and just ignorant snobbish people but there are also a lot of very interesting people. Also though I guess there is some disdain towards obvious tourists...I mean even the public transit system sort of screws them over basically you can catch a bus to a light-rail station or get a book of tickets in which case regular fare is always 2.25 and discount fare is 1.10. Well if you go to the light rail station and want to go more than a couple stops its 4.00....most people don't tell the tourists that they can pay less if they get a bus transfer or book of tickets.

I suppose a lot of people in this state do drugs...though cannabis is probably the main one, but of course people drink and smoke cigarettes. And from what I hear just observing in public cocaine and black tar heroin are not exactly hard to get ahold of then of course a lot of people seem to enjoy tripping on psychedelics. From what I hear the east coast is kind of uptight and that is the vibe I got when I visited Boston because my sister moved out there for a year....also the cost of living and just anything in general. No dollar menu at Mcdonalds though they had like a 2.99 menu(yes unfortunately I still ate that crap from time to time at that point in time)and a pack of malboro reds was like over 9 dollars I mean perhaps people make higher wages to account for that....but if not, damn.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 12:46 am

btbnnyr wrote:
People in the northeast are not nicer than people in western states. People in south are really nice.

unless you're black and they're white. i could never live in the south due to the racial prejudice. one of my friends got a job as an english professor there, and for the same reasons shortly transferred to michigan. i visited arkansas. the people i stayed with complained about having to be in a grocery store at the same time as black people. it's so overt there. atlanta and raleigh-durham are exceptions. i lived in cincinnati for 13 years. cinci seceded with the south. a friend of mine resigned from the police force shortly after joining because his partner pulled over a black man and stuffed a lit cigar down his throat, then threatened to kill my friend if he told. the south is polite, but they do not take strangers in easily. a doctor friend had to threaten to abandon his practice in his small Mississippi town to force anyone in the town to sell a house to him.

my favorite friendly city is pittsburgh. lived there the happiest four years of my life. low cost of living. hawaii is freindly, too, but cost of living is high.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 1:00 am

Four or five years ago, someone from Spain riding across the US on a bicycle stopped here for the night. He spent the night at my oldest brother's house.

His trip took him from South America across the US to Canada, over to the east coast and then across and down into Oklahoma and Texas and then across toward San Diego.

What was interesting was his telling how he was treated at various places.

Coming across the US from the east coast, people would grudgingly allow him to camp on their property but at the furtherest corner of the property from the house. When he got to Texas, everything changed. He was invited into homes where he could bathe, have a good supper, and a comfortable bed to sleep in.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 12:13 pm

The reality is that how you dress affects how nice people are to you. This puts Aspies with sensory issues that need to wear sloppy clothes at a disadvantage.

http://riskology.co/dress-well/
Story of why someone changed his views on how he dresses.

Might be worth an experiment or two to see if it makes any difference in how people treat you.

aretilda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2015, 12:50 pm

I'm from California and I had to get out of there, the majority of the people there are as*holes and really standoffish, as well as Oregon. The central states are much nicer and especially the south, I live in the south now and people here are pretty easygoing and cool.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 7:51 pm

BTDT wrote:
The reality is that how you dress affects how nice people are to you. This puts Aspies with sensory issues that need to wear sloppy clothes at a disadvantage.

http://riskology.co/dress-well/
Story of why someone changed his views on how he dresses.

Might be worth an experiment or two to see if it makes any difference in how people treat you.

I don't wear sloppy clothes...I wear somewhat skinny jeans not the super skinny ones some people cram their legs into but still tight fitting. Usually with a metal or rock t-shirt of some kind though I have a Lord of The Rings shirt and a Game of Thrones one as well, maybe a larger longsleeved button shirt over it...or might just have some sort of sweater and yes some of my shirts/sweaters/jackets are a little large because that's more comfortable and doesn't look bad with the pants I wear. I also have a patch vest of metal bands but I do wash it and keep it nice...I guess it doesn't matter how nice you keep your clothes if you're a metalhead, though they don't seem to react much better to my attempts at brightening up my wardrobe. This is the obvious squares though they frequent some of the places I regularly go unforunately...plenty of random non typical people compliment my clothes though. But yes how you dress can affect that.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 8:16 pm

Residents of the eastern United States distrust anyone who isn't collectivist. Residents of the western United States distrust anyone who is.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 12:55 am

cathylynn wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
People in the northeast are not nicer than people in western states. People in south are really nice.

unless you're black and they're white.

I can't speak for the South, but in Portland it also goes the other way. The black people in Portland in general seemed really hostile to me, and I was victimized by several of them during the time I lived there. Definitely not a friendly community towards white people at all. I understand Portland has an ugly race history, but I never did anything to them personally. As horrible as it sounds I actually grew fearful of them when I lived in the city because almost none of them treated me with anything other than a menacing presence.

The whites in Portland are more racist than they like to openly admit too I find. I didn't see a lot of black and white people hanging out. I don't think the West is really more racially tolerant than the South, that's largely a myth. We are just a less passionate culture in general which is why you don't hear as much about people burning crosses out here, though I have seen Confederate flags in Oregon which puzzles me since the nearest part of the South is over 1000 miles away. :lol:

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 1:03 am

aretilda wrote:
I'm from California and I had to get out of there, the majority of the people there are as*holes and really standoffish, as well as Oregon. The central states are much nicer and especially the south, I live in the south now and people here are pretty easygoing and cool.

Yeah oddly all the people from the eastern 2/3 of the country I've met online in general seem way more interesting and friendly than the people I know out West, aside from my close friends here. People are just more alive or something out there, it's a more open and honest culture.

California and Oregon people are pretty hardass I find, I was never really accepted in school. And not to sound sexist but I find the women there are especially brutal, one girl called me a f***t in high school once just because I was selling coins to people during lunch! Another girl gave me her number but it turned out to actually be her friend's number and it was just a way to humiliate me. Stuff like that gave me kind of a misogynistic attitude for a while honestly, but now that I realize it's just the West Coast anti-male culture I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. That's just typical behavior on the West Coast. My sister is super likable and nice and people bullied her too for no reason at all.

Juniper13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2015, 5:37 pm

In the beginning of the year we moved to the bay area of California. I don't think people have been rude here, so far, but it's made clear that I'm an outsider. My husband fits in fine because he's Chinese. But I'm white and white people don't seem to have as much of a racial/ethnic community perspective. We go to a church and people will chat with him easily because he's one of them (if there are other Chinese people there). I'm originally from Wisconsin and have lived in Michigan and that sort of friendliness is much more common to me there. I never had trouble making (casual) friends with coworkers in Wisconsin. And my sister lives in a small town there and tells me all the time how much she loves it there and how friendly people are to her. People were also warm to me in Michigan. (I didn't make real/deep friendships because that's difficult for me, but people were nice.)

I lived on Long Island, NY for just under a year and was so happy to leave. (My husband didn't like it there either.) People were so rude and aggressive. I got anxious leaving the house because of how people drove, in addition to their attitudes. I have a friend who married a New Yorker and she hates living there for the same reasons. My husband hates the Boston area because he thinks all of the people are fake. He'd love to move back to Virginia where people were very friendly. (As nice as he makes it sound, I'd like to move there, too.)

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 8:27 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Um, I live near Telluride, it shouldn't be on that list...at all. You want to talk smug, that's Telluride for sure.

Telluride has nothing on Aspen, that place has so much smug you cut it with a knife.

justanothersara
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2015, 8:54 am

I'm from Virginia. I'm from Richmond and spent 8 years living in Virginia Beach, as well as spending a fair amount of time in different cities there. The south is full of misogyny, homophobia, xenophobia, racism, Southern baptists, and judgmental people who will do the most messed up stuff but talk about everyone else's business rather than acknowledge they're doing the same or worse. My parents literally have guns buried in their backyard for "when Obama declares himself the Muslim prince of America" & everyone I went to high school with thinks that same way. In California it's a lot less obvious that there are racial differences, you see much more diverse friend groups, whereas in the South the divides between races are much more obvious. Tons of tweakers & cokeheads, and I feel like way more shootings, though part of that could be how much emphasis the news put on them. One club I worked in had 3 racially motivated shootings in 5 years. I'm really heavily tattooed, and the majority of the other heavily tattooed people were "lowlifes" so that was an assumption everyone made about me. I found I had trouble making friends there because if you didn't go to bars every night and were an atheist, there were few options for socialization. I hope to never move back to that area and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless you're white and love guns God & Murica.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 9:04 am

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Um, I live near Telluride, it shouldn't be on that list...at all. You want to talk smug, that's Telluride for sure.

Telluride has nothing on Aspen, that place has so much smug you cut it with a knife.

Agree there too. Almost every mountain town that's turned to time-shares, skiing, and tourism in general has a smug complex. Look at NM, most places there are pretty down to earth, then there's the smug capital of the state: Santa Fe, which again is a time-share, tourism based locale.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:31 am

donnie_darko wrote:
Kiriae wrote:
I don't know anything about US but it seems we have similar diversity in Poland, except the other way around.

West and south people are generally much nicer, open and not so manipulative as people in East and North. It might be a stereotype but I personally talked with some people from both sides and so far west-south people were much more accepting to me and way more fun to be with than the east-north snobs I was unlucky to met. With the east-north people I had to be on guard all the time because they were pointing out all my quirks, in not fun way.

They also look different. Native people from north-east are usually slim and have sharp faces while the native south-west people are more tubby and have softer, childlike shapes of face.

Interesting. Where would you say Czechs and Slovaks would fit in socially? I know they are related to Poles.

I believe they are like the south-west people. But I don't know many Czechs and Slovaks so I can't tell for sure.