Are people in the eastern US nicer than people out West?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 3:18 am

I find people in the western states (Note: I am a Westerner myself, am I'm only speaking in broad generalities) tend to be self-absorbed, have little in the way of a sense of humor, are very snobby, quiet and boring and act like you are wasting your time if you are polite to them. People here tend to be overly serious and self-righteous blowhards I find, even if they insist that they are laid back.

This is true not only in California, Oregon and Washington but also inland as far east as Colorado from what I have heard. Generally speaking people only associate with family and childhood friends out West unless they are obliged to deal with people for work or school purposes. I'm an introverted but friendly guy and I found it impossible to make friends at work and college. People here just aren't interested in getting to know new people.

I'm an introvert but I'm also a "people person" and I find people here are generally dull and untrustworthy. Girls seem to be mostly attracted to idiots with money or a bad-boy/bro image and the men are just as vapid and stupid as they are. Conscientiousness is a foreign concept and nobody keeps promises here. It's almost impossible to get somebody to accept an invitation to your house.

People here are two faced. They will act like your best buddy, then talk crap about you behind your back and never give you any emotional support for any of your problems. They will just call you a whiner if you want to spill your guts to them hoping for support. They can hold a grudge against you for months and never tell you WHAT you are doing that is bugging them, people are incredibly passive aggressive here.

Back East I've heard "kvetching" about things is a pastime and a good way to build camaraderie with people. Out West people absolutely hate any kind of negativity or complaining no matter how justified or relevant it is and will dismiss anything but forced positivity about anything as being "bitching" or "whining". People will shun you if you call a spade a spade or stick up for yourself.

Oh yeah and everyone does drugs here! I drink and partake (it's legal here now), but I can't stand the amount of tweakers and junkies here. I'm pretty scared of them and there is a huge issue with simple assault and property crime out West. Tons of road rage and lots of cases of random shootings too.

Another thing is people out West have an extremely negative viewpoint of anything east of the Rockies, and sometimes even towards other western states and metropolises. Like people here think the South is NOTHING but hicks and the Midwest and East nothing but snow all year and rude people, which are both completely untrue.

Are people in the eastern US (I mean, east of the Rockies not just New York City) just as bad? Everyone I've met from eastern states in general seem more interesting, friendly and truly outside-the-box than people out West who are usually just vapid followers of pop culture or politics. I also noticed when I was in the Midwest that people will randomly talk to you and there seems to be more respect between the sexes. I also think the Western US is pretty racist and segregated. Out West the races keep to themselves more and have a lot of beef with each other, it's not only the whites who are race-minded here either.

I've heard that in eastern cities nightlife lasts longer, it's not a faux pas or taboo to talk to strangers and people are not wishy washy and tell things how they are. I personally admire all of those qualities. Is it true, though?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 7:49 am

I don't know anything about US but it seems we have similar diversity in Poland, except the other way around.

West and south people are generally much nicer, open and not so manipulative as people in East and North. It might be a stereotype but I personally talked with some people from both sides and so far west-south people were much more accepting to me and way more fun to be with than the east-north snobs I was unlucky to met. With the east-north people I had to be on guard all the time because they were pointing out all my quirks, in not fun way.

They also look different. Native people from north-east are usually slim and have sharp faces while the native south-west people are more tubby and have softer, childlike shapes of face.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 7:59 am

For a simple example here's what called a New York greeting: "f**k you!"

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 1:17 pm

People in the northeast are not nicer than people in western states. People in south are really nice.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 1:20 pm

I see you're on your favourite subject again. :lol: Maybe you should move away from the West coast.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 2:03 pm

I moved thousands of miles when I was 22 and I got my first real job.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 3:12 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
I see you're on your favourite subject again. :lol: Maybe you should move away from the West coast.

Oh trust me, I want to! It's just not cheap, or as easy as it sounds. If I had friends outside of the region to crash with it would be easier, of course, but without that it cost big $$$.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 3:13 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
People in the northeast are not nicer than people in western states. People in south are really nice.

What do you think of Raleigh-Durham? I was thinking Minneapolis and Madison before, but then I learned from the people who live there that they are just as smug and unfriendly as people out West, ie the "Minnesota nice".

Basically I don't want to be in a place with a bunch of ignorant hicks and gangsters, but I also don't want to be around a bunch of snobby yuppies. Is there anywhere in America where none of those three groups are the predominant culture?

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 3:15 pm

Kiriae wrote:
I don't know anything about US but it seems we have similar diversity in Poland, except the other way around.

West and south people are generally much nicer, open and not so manipulative as people in East and North. It might be a stereotype but I personally talked with some people from both sides and so far west-south people were much more accepting to me and way more fun to be with than the east-north snobs I was unlucky to met. With the east-north people I had to be on guard all the time because they were pointing out all my quirks, in not fun way.

They also look different. Native people from north-east are usually slim and have sharp faces while the native south-west people are more tubby and have softer, childlike shapes of face.

Interesting. Where would you say Czechs and Slovaks would fit in socially? I know they are related to Poles.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 4:49 pm

Some people are nice, some people aren't, it's like that now matter where you live. Tourists say the people where I live are friendly and very nice but I must be the exception, ha ha.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 5:34 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Some people are nice, some people aren't, it's like that now matter where you live. Tourists say the people where I live are friendly and very nice but I must be the exception, ha ha.

Don't you think some places do seem more uptight than others, though? I mean there's no question that Nazi Germany was an exceptionally sick society, despite the fact that even they had a population of decent and kind people.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2015, 6:12 pm

I kind of like the US in general. However, I have heard that people in New England (NorthWest area of US) are especially nice.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 6:20 pm

...?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 7:19 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/travel/us ... st-cities/
10. Asheville, North Carolina

= 8. Nashville

= 8. Key West, Florida

7. Jackson Hole, Wyoming

6. Fort Worth, Texas

5. New Orleans

4. Telluride, Colorado

3. San Antonio

2. Savannah, Georgia

1. Charleston, South Carolina

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 7:37 pm

Um, I live near Telluride, it shouldn't be on that list...at all. You want to talk smug, that's Telluride for sure.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2015, 9:57 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
People in south are really nice.
If your not a minority, gay or nonCatholic

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 29 May 2015, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.