Page 8 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 8:58 am

There's always someone who bucks the stereotype.

I'm terrible at anything involving speed, hand-eye coordination, and/or a ball.

Even after 20 years of smoking, I could be an epic hiker. I can carry heavy loads and walk for HOURS.

If I trained, I'm pretty sure I could be a weight lifter. 5'7", medium frame, 175 pounds, ZERO training other than working around the house-- I can still dead-lift and carry 90 pounds (a little more than half my body weight).

I never had an Olympic future or anything (terrible form) but at one point in time I was a strong enough swimmer to qualify for water rescue. I STILL have a damn good single-arm sidestroke, can swim using either only arms or only legs, can tread water while supporting someone else...

I'm too big and too unsure of myself now, but at one point in time I could climb trees like a monkey. A very slow, very cautious monkey. But a monkey none the less. My middle daughter inherited the climbing ability. Too bad she didn't get the caution.

It's not common, I don't think, because we tend to be so clumsy. But it's perfectly possible.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 11:26 am

I was pretty athletic when I was younger. I did solo sports and sports that required little eye-hand coordination. I did gymnastics, tennis (this one requires eye-hand coordination so I did not go to far in those classes), taekwondo and kendo. I also loved working out at the gym. I am good as long as I am mostly all by myself.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:53 pm

I walk a ton. I don't know if that counts as athletic.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2017, 2:53 am

everybody can be athletic. i played sports as a kid and it was fun. it never got to the point where i would go it professionally, but if you really want to that good and become a famous sports figure, all you got to do is practice and get better at the game. even if you think you know everything there is about the sport, there's always something to learn.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 9:00 am

I was never into team sports, but I was very active as a child. I was very surprised when I could learn to play tennis.

Regarding press conferences, I think Denis Istomin is one of the best at handling them. He responds with a good sense of humor to the interviewers' dumbest questions. I would love to have Denis' grace under pressure.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 9:19 am

No, everybody can not be a famous sports figure. Some people are just not genetically wired for it and clumsiness has been noted as a trait in Aspergers. But the idea that Autistics can never be great athletes is also nonsense. Playing a sport you like is good for you for a number of reasons even if you never become more than pedestrian at it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2017, 4:32 pm

I think anyone can be athletic no matter what you have.
Personally I did basketball, hockey, baseball and golf. Also I earned an Eagle scout award.
Currently trying to get into the Forest service.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

Have you never seen the Paralympics?

BBC: Radio 4

Losty
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2017, 7:31 pm

Might just be me but I was never competitive enough to play high level sport I won local football best fairest couple times, school athletics champion most years and long distance cross country running but I played sport because I enjoyed it winning and losing never really mattered to me. I see other people especially as I got older and winning was everything to them they train everyday running laps etc I could never motivated myself to do that if wasn't fun or interesting I didn't do it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 7:14 pm

People and Places with Pierce: Marshall’s story

Quote:
“If you asked him a question like what’s your name, he would just repeat the question,” said Bryant Dilda.

“Back then they called it pervasive developmental disorder because you didn’t hear a lot about Asperger’s syndrome and autism 20 years ago,” added Angie Dilda.

“They told us that he may not even make it through second grade,” said Bryant Dilda.

“The opportunity came for him to join the basketball team,” recalled Bryant Dilda. “He was allowed to start the game and within 2 minutes, he hit a three pointer from the corner. He’s going to have to tell you about it. I’ve never heard a building that loud.”

“That was the most awesome moment I had in school,” said Marshall Dilda. “I was actually mind blown that I did a three point shoot.”

This wouldn’t be Marshall’s only shining moment.

“Power lifting is all about doing better than you did last time and constantly getting stronger,” said Bryant Dilda.

Marshall won first place in his weight class at a competition in June.

“I didn’t really hit was I was going for but I still had a great time and did good and had a real awesome trophy,” said Marshall Dilda.

“I’m going to school for graphic design to become a logo maker,” said Marshall Dilda. “Whenever I have a piece of paper and pencil, I just decide to draw whatever I want. It’s just something I’ve been really good at and I’ve liked it ever since I was a little kid.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 1:08 am

Irvine lad with Asperger’s syndrome Judo champion for third time

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Bike legend Guy Martin believes if he reaches age 40 he'll 'have done alright' The maverick star of the Isle of Man TT broke his back in the Ulster Grand Prix in August but is already back on the race track

Quote:
If Guy comes across as blunt, perhaps it’s down to the aspergers diagnosis he had a few years. But that gets short shrift too.

“I thought it was a load of s*** My old girlfriend from ages ago, said I was a bloody a******* for keeping doing all these things.

"She took me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me. It hasn’t changed anything, it just confirms why I do certain things in a certain way.”

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 1:08 am

Running brings life, first place finishes to nonverbal twins with autism

Quote:
Why worry about speaking when your running can do the talking for you? Identical twins Alex and Jamie Schneider, 27, have a severe form of autism that requires 24-hour per day care. They may not be able to cross the street by themselves, but out on the roads, they’re distance runners who are turning heads and doing more than holding their own.

Alex just ran his 17th marathon on Sunday when he swooped through New York City’s five boroughs in 2 hours, 50 minutes and 5 seconds to set a new personal record. It was his third New York City Marathon.

He also took second place overall in the 2016 Suffolk Country Marathon, running the race in a blazing 2 hours, 56 minutes and 46 seconds.

At that particular race, he flew into the finish area with legs so heavy that he fell three times before crossing the line.

Alex also ran the New York City Marathon in 2013 and 2015, finishing in 3 hours, 14 minutes and 36 seconds, and in 3 hours and 12 minutes, respectively.

Jamie, however, prefers taking things slower than six-and-a-half minute miles. He’s a social runner who stops to shake hands with volunteers at water stations, and waves to spectators along the course. But, his running resume is just as impressive as Alex’s. He’s completed the 2013 New York City Marathon as well as four Boston Marathons among other races.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 4:29 am

I sure as hell was. I was a natural athlete and participated in many sports preferably the ones where I didn't have to play on a team. I wasn't very good at interaction but solo sports and where I didn't need excessive social interaction I was pretty damned awesome at.

I simply used our innate Autistic aggression and unleashed it on sporting events and competing and it became my primary outlet for aggravation, frustration and anger (primarily because of NTs).

Sports became my pressure valve and it worked very well.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2017, 9:12 am

yep, I'm decent at some sports, but on the other hand will spill things all the time. It depends on your skill profile.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 1:51 am

Autistic weightlifter Martyn hopes to inspire others

Quote:
Martyn is the first person with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) to compete, referee and finish first in their class in a major international weightlifting match. Martyn won his age/weight class in this summer’s European and International Masters Championships in Halmstead Sweden. He also refereed in two categories. Said Martyn: “I managed to travel from the UK and home independently and I am very proud of what I achieved for myself, my country and autistic people.” Martyn has broken numerous Northern England Masters weightlifting records and he has qualified for the European Masters Championships in Budapest at both 56kg and 62kg classes. He is a four-time reigning British champion over three different age groups and has won multiple regional titles. He is currently the oldest Northern England senior champion and ranked third in the BWL senior rankings at 56kg. He has also recently been promoted to a IWF category two referee, the second highest possible rating achievable.

He is currently the oldest Northern England senior champion and ranked third in the BWL senior rankings at 56kg.

He has also recently been promoted to a IWF category two referee, the second highest possible rating achievable.

Nick and Martyn are part of a great team at Featherstone Weightlifting Club which also includes Tracy Hall, Sharon Tepper, Thomas Smith, Michael Hall and Si Walker.

They coach the number one ranked under 17 team of children in the county and in Britain. The team includes three children diagnosed ASD.

Wow, that is an impressive list of accomplishments.