Page 8 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Losty
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2017, 7:31 pm

Might just be me but I was never competitive enough to play high level sport I won local football best fairest couple times, school athletics champion most years and long distance cross country running but I played sport because I enjoyed it winning and losing never really mattered to me. I see other people especially as I got older and winning was everything to them they train everyday running laps etc I could never motivated myself to do that if wasn't fun or interesting I didn't do it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 7:14 pm

People and Places with Pierce: Marshall’s story

Quote:
“If you asked him a question like what’s your name, he would just repeat the question,” said Bryant Dilda.

“Back then they called it pervasive developmental disorder because you didn’t hear a lot about Asperger’s syndrome and autism 20 years ago,” added Angie Dilda.

“They told us that he may not even make it through second grade,” said Bryant Dilda.

“The opportunity came for him to join the basketball team,” recalled Bryant Dilda. “He was allowed to start the game and within 2 minutes, he hit a three pointer from the corner. He’s going to have to tell you about it. I’ve never heard a building that loud.”

“That was the most awesome moment I had in school,” said Marshall Dilda. “I was actually mind blown that I did a three point shoot.”

This wouldn’t be Marshall’s only shining moment.

“Power lifting is all about doing better than you did last time and constantly getting stronger,” said Bryant Dilda.

Marshall won first place in his weight class at a competition in June.

“I didn’t really hit was I was going for but I still had a great time and did good and had a real awesome trophy,” said Marshall Dilda.

“I’m going to school for graphic design to become a logo maker,” said Marshall Dilda. “Whenever I have a piece of paper and pencil, I just decide to draw whatever I want. It’s just something I’ve been really good at and I’ve liked it ever since I was a little kid.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 1:08 am

Irvine lad with Asperger’s syndrome Judo champion for third time

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Bike legend Guy Martin believes if he reaches age 40 he'll 'have done alright' The maverick star of the Isle of Man TT broke his back in the Ulster Grand Prix in August but is already back on the race track

Quote:
If Guy comes across as blunt, perhaps it’s down to the aspergers diagnosis he had a few years. But that gets short shrift too.

“I thought it was a load of s*** My old girlfriend from ages ago, said I was a bloody a******* for keeping doing all these things.

"She took me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me. It hasn’t changed anything, it just confirms why I do certain things in a certain way.”

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 1:08 am

Running brings life, first place finishes to nonverbal twins with autism

Quote:
Why worry about speaking when your running can do the talking for you? Identical twins Alex and Jamie Schneider, 27, have a severe form of autism that requires 24-hour per day care. They may not be able to cross the street by themselves, but out on the roads, they’re distance runners who are turning heads and doing more than holding their own.

Alex just ran his 17th marathon on Sunday when he swooped through New York City’s five boroughs in 2 hours, 50 minutes and 5 seconds to set a new personal record. It was his third New York City Marathon.

He also took second place overall in the 2016 Suffolk Country Marathon, running the race in a blazing 2 hours, 56 minutes and 46 seconds.

At that particular race, he flew into the finish area with legs so heavy that he fell three times before crossing the line.

Alex also ran the New York City Marathon in 2013 and 2015, finishing in 3 hours, 14 minutes and 36 seconds, and in 3 hours and 12 minutes, respectively.

Jamie, however, prefers taking things slower than six-and-a-half minute miles. He’s a social runner who stops to shake hands with volunteers at water stations, and waves to spectators along the course. But, his running resume is just as impressive as Alex’s. He’s completed the 2013 New York City Marathon as well as four Boston Marathons among other races.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 4:29 am

I sure as hell was. I was a natural athlete and participated in many sports preferably the ones where I didn't have to play on a team. I wasn't very good at interaction but solo sports and where I didn't need excessive social interaction I was pretty damned awesome at.

I simply used our innate Autistic aggression and unleashed it on sporting events and competing and it became my primary outlet for aggravation, frustration and anger (primarily because of NTs).

Sports became my pressure valve and it worked very well.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2017, 9:12 am

yep, I'm decent at some sports, but on the other hand will spill things all the time. It depends on your skill profile.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 1:51 am

Autistic weightlifter Martyn hopes to inspire others

Quote:
Martyn is the first person with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) to compete, referee and finish first in their class in a major international weightlifting match. Martyn won his age/weight class in this summer’s European and International Masters Championships in Halmstead Sweden. He also refereed in two categories. Said Martyn: “I managed to travel from the UK and home independently and I am very proud of what I achieved for myself, my country and autistic people.” Martyn has broken numerous Northern England Masters weightlifting records and he has qualified for the European Masters Championships in Budapest at both 56kg and 62kg classes. He is a four-time reigning British champion over three different age groups and has won multiple regional titles. He is currently the oldest Northern England senior champion and ranked third in the BWL senior rankings at 56kg. He has also recently been promoted to a IWF category two referee, the second highest possible rating achievable.

He is currently the oldest Northern England senior champion and ranked third in the BWL senior rankings at 56kg.

He has also recently been promoted to a IWF category two referee, the second highest possible rating achievable.

Nick and Martyn are part of a great team at Featherstone Weightlifting Club which also includes Tracy Hall, Sharon Tepper, Thomas Smith, Michael Hall and Si Walker.

They coach the number one ranked under 17 team of children in the county and in Britain. The team includes three children diagnosed ASD.

Wow, that is an impressive list of accomplishments.

Save the witches
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Nov 2017, 3:47 am

Most definitely. I was MVP for my softball team AND the whole league and was written up in the paper for pitching the first shut out and so forth. Naturally I was oblivious. I would just come home from school and throw a tennis ball against the side of the house for HOURS. I got enough sense of myself that the ball goes where I want it to and when it comes down I catch it. That is what you are supposed to do and that was my goal so I did.

In retrospect, I may have been one of the few "jocks" ever that still managed to be unpopular! But I still love sports. They were fun and there was a goal and skills to focus on. I love sports especially baseball.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 9:06 am

Save the witches wrote:
In retrospect, I may have been one of the few "jocks" ever that still managed to be unpopular! But I still love sports. They were fun and there was a goal and skills to focus on. I love sports especially baseball.

I think my problem was that I was still too much of a geek to be a popular jock: I was always picked last for every sport except when I was clearly among the best, where I was usually picked in the middle. To this day I still don't get a whole lot of respect: I led my softball team in many categories this year, including batting average and singles. Still meant I was usually thrown in as an afterthought at the bottom of the order. I go out of my way to be fair and sportsmanlike and still get called a cheater or dirty player all the time.

Funny you should mention throwing a ball around for hours. Both my brother and I used to love doing that in the basement: get a rubber ball and see how many times you could bounce it off the wall, floor and catch it in a row. We later used throw it as hard as possible at the brick wall while trying to catch it. No wonder I have such a great glove hand!

I also know my father in law has many aspie traits and was a highly skilled Baseball player: he even got invited to a MLB youth camp once! My wife tells me if he actually put the time and effort into it (in other words not had a family at an early age) he might have even gotten the chance to play professionally. I got him to fill in for one of our softball games and despite being almost twice the age of everyone else was one of the better players.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2017, 9:17 am

I'm definitely a late bloomer with sports, I'm only just getting into it at age 35, and outrunning a lot of people half my age! Being aspie actually gives you an edge mentally, it's helped with noticing patterns and coordinating breathing, which helps you go longer and faster. If I ever win my age group in Ironman, maybe I'll credit ASD.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 10:07 am

Yeah. Me too!

I sucked at sports when I was younger---was usually picked last for teams.

However, I did run and finish three NYC Marathons in the 1990s. Two of them were done in under 4 hours.

I still wouldn't consider myself an "athlete," though. I am a Wolfman, instead.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 10:26 am

I was never into competitive sports. I never had the co-ordination or situational awareness to be good at them, and I never had a sense of caring who won - I have no interest in being a spectator, either.

However, I was a very keen pot-holer/caver [USA: spelunker] when I was younger, to the point of being a leader/trainer for the last few years that I was doing it. I also love hiking and will always walk places unless time pressure forces me to use public transport - e.g. 5 miles a day including a 400ft climb, in all weathers, to commute to my last job.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 10:29 am

If I lived three miles from my job, and didn't have to walk on a highway, I'd walk to work every day. It's a shorter commute than what I have now using buses and trains.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 1:17 pm

Save the witches wrote:
Most definitely. I was MVP for my softball team AND the whole league and was written up in the paper for pitching the first shut out and so forth.

kraftiekortie wrote:
However, I did run and finish three NYC Marathons in the 1990s. Two of them were done in under 4 hours.

Congratulations on your achievements

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 3:44 pm

Posted in this thread before.. some sports as a kid/teen (bowling, swimming, softball) but the last few years I've been much more athletic. I've done ~200K pushups and now add in some squats daily, haven't run much the last year but I still can.. work a physical job (construction), and have done the Tough Mudder 4 times in Whistler. Currently 6'2" 193lbs ~13%bf but dip down to ~10%bf in the Summer when I'm more active at work and going to the beach nearly daily (about 500 stairs down a cliffside to get there) & kiteboarding when I can get up to Squamish. I've only gained a few lbs of fat because my activity level drops off in the Fall & I tend to eat a few extra carbs. Ah well, it's only a few lbs to burn off over the rest of the Winter before it's beach time again. 8)

Shakti wrote:
maybe I'll credit ASD.

There are definitely some ASD traits at play in terms of daily routines as well as my single mindedness about finishing what I start when I set out to do it. Others simply don't have that level of hyper focus or discipline come so naturally to them.